svcpack.inf How To??

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
narok90

svcpack.inf How To??

Post by narok90 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:15 pm

I am a newbie at this stuff.

I am trying to add the .net AIO that Ryan has listed on the forum to my windows xp installation cd.

I use nlite to integrate the ryanvm update pack and IE7, WMP11, Java, and driver packs from driverpacks.net into my cd.

I use the cds in my computer shop to reformat and reload customer’s computers and i would really like to get the .net AIO integrated into my cd.

I have read a lot of the forums and googled and searched for hours and i don’t think that I’m getting all and the right info.

So i need someone to help me out on getting this integrated.

Correct me if I’m wrong but i think that you have to use the svrpack.inf file to install it?? If so, can you explain how to do this step by step? Also can you explain the different switches and what they do? I would really like to learn how to do this myself and if you have any good info or websites that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the info.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:25 pm

You just put the silent executable in a folder named SVCPACK and create a Entries_dotNet_AIO.ini and add something like this into it

Code: Select all

[general]
builddate=2007/03/25
description=.Net Framework v1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and Visual C++ All In One.
language=English
title=.Net Framework AIO
version=1.0
website=http://www.microsoft.com/

[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
dotnetaio.exe
RAR, ZIP, CAB or 7-ZIP the Entries.ini and SVCPACK folder (with your silent installer in it) together and integrate with nLite or the Integrator

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:02 am

The next integrator will allow you to use switchless installers as addons. ;) The integrator will automatically add the exe to svcpack and svcpack.inf for you without the need of compressing the exe with an entries file. :)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:34 am

The best way I always found was to just slap the .exe's in the SVCPACK folder and add the name ex. java.exe in the svcpack.inf line manually. All packs from RogueSpear, Boooggy and Ryan work for me this way. If you don't know how, MSFN has a great tutorial. You have to expand the SVCPACK.IN_ into SVCPACK.INF and maunally type them in (not hard), then seal it up by MAKECAB back into SVCPACK.IN_ (make sure to delete the original SVCPACK.IN_) and you're good to go.

You should save the .inf file for later use as it might come in handy.

Also, not sure if QChain.exe is still relevant, but I always add it on just in case. It prevents older versions of files from being written over newer ones - anyone please correct me if I'm wrong! :D

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:45 am

QChain is obsolete. Its functionality has been built into updates for Win2k/XP since May 18, 2001. An updated version has been included in updates for these operating systems since December 2002.

Please read KB815062 for more information.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:55 am

in addition to Siginet's reply ..
now you will get to see all the cool icons the addon creator added to the switchless installer ,and also get to integrate them that way
also you can spend more time making you're addons completely switchless instead of using any switches that are to go SVCPACK.INF ,it will be much simpler for switchless adddn makers to update .. :cool:

narok90

Post by narok90 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:50 am

This looks like some really good info.... im going to try it out and see if i can get it to work on my virtual pc install. I will post back here to let you know how it comes out.

DizzyDen

Post by DizzyDen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:56 pm

I have found that using this method by Ricktendo works very well from nLite, but have not gotten the DOTnetAIO silent install "udpadate pack" to work in RVMintegtrator as of yet... (can't wait for 1.5)
ricktendo64 wrote:You just put the silent executable in a folder named SVCPACK and create a Entries_dotNet_AIO.ini and add something like this into it

[general]
builddate=2007/03/25
language=English
title=.Net Framework AIO
version=1.0

[EditFile]

[AddProgram]
dotnetaio.exe
RAR, ZIP, CAB or 7-ZIP the Entries.ini and SVCPACK folder (with your silent installer in it) together and integrate with nLite or the Integrator
You Can't Get, If You Won't Give
YCGIYWG

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 pm

DizzyDen wrote:I have found that using this method by Ricktendo works very well from nLite, but have not gotten the DOTnetAIO silent install "udpadate pack" to work in RVMintegtrator as of yet... (can't wait for 1.5)
Really? Rick's method is identical to mine (here)
It works perfectly fine for me and others when using the RVMI. :)

venkatfcs

Post by venkatfcs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:49 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:You just put the silent executable in a folder named SVCPACK and create a Entries_dotNet_AIO.ini and add something like this into it

[general]
builddate=2007/03/25
language=English
title=.Net Framework AIO
version=1.0

[EditFile]

[AddProgram]
dotnetaio.exe
I have created SVCPACK and Entries_dotNet_AIO.ini.Shall I have to RAR
them separately or shall I have to put the 2 items in a folder and RAR this folder?Instruction at this point is confusing.
I have been on this job for the last 10 days but without success.
How to CAB rhem?
i LOVE YOGA.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:31 pm

OK take the installer and put it in a svcpack folder.
Now put the Entries_whatever.ini next to the svcpack folder
Higlight both and compress them into any type of archive (rar, zip, 7zip or cab)

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:23 pm

OK, so now I'm confused! For example, do you need the entries.ini OR can you just put the executables in the SVCPACK folder and place the entries line by line manually in the svcpack.inf file??

Also, is KB815062 included in SP2? Thanks.

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:26 pm

You could do it manually. But this way the Integrator/nLite handles it and you've got a pack that's ready for use anytime.

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks Mitsuko

venkatfcs

Post by venkatfcs » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:15 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:OK take the installer and put it in a svcpack folder.
Now put the Entries_whatever.ini next to the svcpack folder
Higlight both and compress them into any type of archive (rar, zip, 7zip or cab)

Tonnes of Thanks to ricktendo64 for giving crystal clear instructions.Today I followed your intructions ,integrated dotnet framework with XPPROSP2.It took just 3 minutes.Then i made a bootable iso using n-lite and burned it to Bootable cd using Ashampoo Burning studio.Thanking you once again.
i LOVE YOGA.