Unattended XP Pro Install

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
lhgordon

Unattended XP Pro Install

Post by lhgordon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:40 pm

I just started playing with Ryab's XP PRO SP2 install. Love it . My PCs are very happy.
Is there a module for complete unattended install with changeable parameters? I am looking to Move the "Documents and Settings" tree to a different partition and cant seem to make it happen. Any suggestions?

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:38 pm

just use a winnt.sif file (http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/19/)
[GuiUnattended]
ProfilesDir="C:\Documents and Settings\"
You can change the default location of Documents and Settings using this entry.

lhgordon

Post by lhgordon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:21 pm

I understand your suggestion but I can't seem to integrate it into RYANVM Integrator. I tried in the orig CD I386 file, but could not generate an ISO.
Probably caused by a checksum error. Can you tell me where to specifically put the WINNT.SIF file? Also does this file need any other entries?

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

lhgordon wrote:I understand your suggestion but I can't seem to integrate it into RYANVM Integrator. I tried in the orig CD I386 file, but could not generate an ISO.
Probably caused by a checksum error. Can you tell me where to specifically put the WINNT.SIF file? Also does this file need any other entries?
The winnt.sif file needs to be put into the i386 directory of your install. You can specify quite a few things in that file to make your installation completely unattended if you want to. Use the winnt.sif reference if you would like additional details on the winnt.sif file inner workings.

You should also be able to find more information and even a tool for creating the winnt.sif file from Microsoft if you look up "SP3 deployment tools."
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

lhgordon

Post by lhgordon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:39 am

I have no problem generating a winnt.sif file.
I have tried to insert it into the original I386 folder and also in the RyanVM destination I386 folder to no avail. I always get an error when I try to run the CD. I suspect I need to modify some text file in RyanVM process.
Any suggestions?

Nico

Post by Nico » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:25 am

There is nothing to change with the Ryanvm, just put the file in the i386 folder and it should works.

So now post the file you made and the error you have...

lhgordon

Post by lhgordon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm

I literally copied the file from this thread and pasted it into Notebook and saved it to winnt.sif.
Then I figured out there were 2 places to put it.

1) First I tried it in the original I386 file before running the Ryan complier. That did not work.

Then I removed it from the original I386 folder, used the Ryan complier, and created a test ISO. That worked fine.

2) Then I put it in the Ryan Complied output I386 folder and created an ISO that also did not work.

I will try again - Which I386 should it go into?
When I try it again I will post the exact error messages - Thanks