Comodo firewall new edition

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
neuropass

Comodo firewall new edition

Post by neuropass » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:57 am

hello people.! here i am againg! iu would like to make the latest comodo firewall free silent... the problem is that there is the new version available and it has the antivirus integrated and a lot of other stuff, i would say useless... how can i operate to make it silent..? any ideas..?

Code: Select all

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com
/download_firewall.html

EDIT

Guys i do apologize... i've just seen the silent on msfn... wow that's great..! but there is only one thing... it is silent but it shows all the automates steps... that's a pity, because is perfect... is there a way to hide them..? :rolleyes:

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 pm

Assuming you use it on several computers, I would say the free version is quite good and comparable to a lot of the paid versions of other anti-virus. Yes, I realize it is my opinion (and I am sure other people have their opinion on what is best), but one cannot beat free.

However, I think there is a second download option for "just" the firewall. The 'all-inclusive' edition is labeled as "Comodo Internet Security" or something like that.

Just some food for thought.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 pm

I believe both distros include Defense+ which IMO is a disaster. The firewall is fine but it definitely interferes with certain operations regardless of whether or not it is even enabled. Until they can figure out some of those issues I can only use it on certain machines and not on others.

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 pm

no there is no separate version... i checked... you can find the firewall only, but it is an older version... but, are you guys going to say that the firewall is useless???

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:50 pm

No, the firewall isn't useless, but it does have some issues. When I use my program AutoImage to process an image on my RIS server it takes about 3x longer to download and then upload back the server when Comodo is installed - notice I said installed, because even if you disable the firewall completely it will still slow down the transfer a ton.

It seems to have problems with lots and lots of small files. As soon as it hits driver.cab or my runtimes file, the throughput spikes to almost normal. But with the built-in benchmarking per section I included with AI, it makes it rather easy to see there is a problem.

You want an example of a useless firewall? The one included with Symantec Endpoint Protection.

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:05 pm

ok now i see... well i think that all the symantec products are sucks, except Norton ghost 14... but this is only my thought , don't get me wrong guys...

Anyway, comodo is one of the best firewall, don't you guys agree..?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

I personally think Comodo is the best software firewall for Windows, free or otherwise. But that doesn't mean I think it's fantastic. I've been searching high and low lately for a Windows version of the excellent FOSS GuardDog but so far have come up empty. I used to really like WinPooch but it's long out of development.

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm

the last update of winpooch is on april 2007... that's ashame!! another firewall that should be cool is outpost... do you know it?

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:09 pm

The solution to the Defense+ issue is to use the checkbox "Disable Defense+ permanently (requires system restart)" in Advanced > Defense+ Settings and then rebooting.

This removes the guard32.dll it injects into all running processes which implements the "Defense+" thing.

It interferes in .NET applications and makes all file operations when opened in write mode randomly fail with "File in use by another process" especially on files that have digital signatures. I had to work around it in my cabinet interface by making p/invoke directly into Win32 to read/write files.

But I think it is a terrific firewall. I like the dual approach it takes, makes it much more efficient than crap like ZoneAlarm that tries to do everything dynamically and eats up too much system resources.

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:20 pm

hi.. but are you talking about outpost? or comodo?
Last edited by neuropass on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:21 pm

No, Defense+ is about Comodo.

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:23 pm

ok.. i red on the web site that comodo consumption is around 64 mb...

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 pm

I myself have not had nearly has many problems with Defense+ as it seems that n7Epsilon has. I have had an occasional hiccup when doing integrations and the like, but nothing overtly major.

I do like the fact the program is free and includes *true* binaries for XP x64. It seems to not have any performance issues that I can tell on the 64 bit OS. Anyway, for a person on a budget, one cannot complain about free. So I would vote in favor of Comodo.
--Anonymous

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

What drives me crazy about all of these firewall programs these days is the ability to set up simple rules that can not only be easily created, but also disabled and / or removed if needed. Comodo's interface could use a serious overhaul. It's a rather trivial task, for instance, to mark a particular executable as always blocked from any network communications. But then it isn't really obvious how to remove that blacklisted entry or even to view the list at all. The various blacklists, whitelists, and lists of flexible rules are scattered all over the place. Additions, deletions, and modifications are done in different ways for everything. It isn't at all clear sometimes what rules trump others or the order of processing that takes place. And why oh why can't disabling firewall actually disable the firewall?

Free? Yea the price is right. Particularly when the expensive alternatives don't even perform as well, but "free" does not always equate with something great.

Think back to the first versions of Zone Alarm, Kerio, etc. I think that they were actually more effective due to their simplicity. Look at just about any of the firewalls available for Linux. They actually work as intended and advertised. And if you know a thing or two about TCP/IP, they're not as unintuitive as some would have you believe.

lespea

Post by lespea » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:19 am

I whole heartedly agree with you Rogue. Comodo's interface is terrible. I still don't know how to do some things the right way so I have this kludge solution that gets me by. 100 votes for kerio's interface!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:58 am

I am not in disagreement on Comodo's interface. Yes, it takes some getting used to (still cannot find some options), however, it is the firewall that lead me to the antivirus. They are good at making a fairly impervious firewall.

But yes, the interface leaves a bit to be desired. As a helpful suggestion, one might try giving an opinion on the interface to the makers of the program. I am not saying it will be easy to get them to change it immediately, but enough complaints should make them listen.
--Anonymous