Help with USB tethering to XP SP3.

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
shiner

Help with USB tethering to XP SP3.

Post by shiner » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Introduction:
The primary function of my mobile phone is to connect to the internet, telephone calls are a far second. I am located in a rural area of southeast Asia without telephone lines, so wireless is my only option. About a week ago, my telephone and internet service provider informed me that my 6-year old phone would no longer be supported after Oct.31. They suggested I upgrade to a 3G capable phone as soon as possible. So, after googling around and hunting I found that the Samsung Galaxy Y supports USB tethering and is in my budget. My old phone is also a Samsung and it worked just great for six years. So, I bought the Galaxy Y after the saleslady confirmed that it could do what I wanted to do, that is, connect my 11 year old XP SP3 PC to the phone and use the internet.

Well, I have been googling, reading documentation, and wrangling with my system in an attempt to use the phone as my "modem". A file called tetherxp.inf did not succeed. Installling Samsung Kies did not succeed. ( I was quite disappointed with Kies, It seems an oversized program that simply allows access to the phone's micro-sd card from a PC--I eventually uninstalled Kies.) Now I have downloaded an app called PDANet, and finally I have succeeded in connect my PC to the internet via the new phone. My bandwith has increased about 100% from the dial-up connection on my old phone. So, that's good.

Now, I would prefer a Windows / Samsung driver solution over using the PDAnet app. So, finally, my question is: Has anybody been successful getting Windows XP connected to the internet using a phone with USB tethering support without resorting to a third-party app? If Yes, how is it done? I mean using built-in XP funtionality and possibly a driver from Samsung, (but not Kies). Please note that my hardware does not support Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, so a USB cable is the only option for me.

Any and all advice is welcome.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

mooms

Post by mooms » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:49 pm

jaynbe

Post by jaynbe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 am

Why don't you just buy a 3g USB key?
You can find them in Asia very cheap.

shiner

Post by shiner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 am

jaynbe wrote:Why don't you just buy a 3g USB key?
You can find them in Asia very cheap.
Because I am a penny-pinching cheapskate?

No, actually I considered this when my provider pushed me to upgrade my phone.
But, I would have had to buy both a new telephone and the usb key, in addition to having one serivice plan for the phone and another for the key. Which would be great from the telephone company's point of view. Indeed, my income here is quite low by any normal person's standard and I have a wife and two children in school, so I really have watch how I spend money. My PC's cpu/mainboard is now eleven years old and I can't afford to upgrade as much as I would like to. Anyway...

I have been spending quite a bit of my free time lately on trying to solve the problem of connecting my PC to the internet with this phone without using the PDAnet app and I think I am very close to getting it. Everything shows up fine in Device Manager, but when I go to create a network connection with the adapter created with the Samsung drivers, I'm still stuck. I see nothing in Network Connections.

I will keep investigating.
Oh, mooms, thanks for the links. I've been through about a dozen threads in both the forums you posted above and I have found some useful information which has helped me get really close to solving it.
I will post here with all details if I do manage to do it.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."