Opinion Poll

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.

Should we allow members to post curse words, "redacted" or otherwise?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 10

long-lurker

Opinion Poll

Post by long-lurker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:46 am

In wake of the "tone" that some members have fallen privy to on more than one occasion of late -

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 am

Don't we get censored enough everywhere else without people on their high and mighty pedestals parenting us or telling us how to behave?

I am nearly 40 and I get really damned tired of people telling me how I can talk...

If this forum starts being ran like msfn (They are really anal and fascist there) it would really sadden me. I have been warned there for just openly saying my opinion and not even being rude.

This is utterly ridiculous that people can't even handle a handful of words. They only have the power you give them.

Why do you think you have the right to censor or even suggest that others should have the right?

I have been a active member of this forum for 10 years now and I made the first second party addon here.

I was a full mod for a long time and actually quit that because of someone who had a attitude much like yours.

You really got up on the cross quickly to parent senior members and tell everyone else how to behave.
Last edited by Kelsenellenelvian on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:58 am

if the words were disallowed they would be censored in real-time.

I personally know where Kels is coming from, the difference between him and I is
that I don't pay attention to some users period.

I can only edit so much and if the line was crossed I would say something.

This whole conversation was brought up because a user here blatantly wants to
make a warez release of XP, however he/she has no clue of what they are doing.
It is quite clear to us here what his modus operandi is and we have no patience for it.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 am

Thank you user and I am sorry for clogging up your thread with this bullshit agenda lurker seems to have against my behavior.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:08 am

I am 39

I am a war veteran

I killed people in the gulf war

I have been programming, repairing and building computers since the commodor 64

Both my parents died when I was young

My wife of nearly 18 years died in her sleep next to me

I have done time in prison

I have been shot and had multiple surgeries

I have three children that are fully grown two have jobs in health care and I am not legally authorized to say what the other one does for a living

I deal all the time with being censored and really think I am old enough and mature enough to be able to say a foul word on occasion without someone climbing on a pedestal and thinking they are better than me and telling me how to live.

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

WHO F^C%ING CARES!!!

Shall I run down my "life list" also?
If my "life list" is 'bigger' than yours, does that entitle me to anything over and above what you are entitled to?

You are of no more value than my dog...
*I* am of no more value than my dog...

This is no "contest", why are YOU trying to make it one?

This started because of a discussion of "net etiquette", NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS...

It does make me wonder, when I registered to be a member, did I have to read any "forum rules" or anything? Been so long ago that I don't remember... Nor do I, or any of us, really truly READ them anyway...

But it all makes me wonder, did we all "agree" to a set of forum rules whereby we stated right up front, while setting up our "membership", that we would BEHAVE and act CIVILIZED? Or however the "forum rules" decided to word it...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:38 pm

I care none of your life gives you the right to govern or censor me...

Yes there are forum rules and none of them have ever said anything about swear words.

Climb off your self righteous cross and quit trying to tell people how to behave....

Would you happen to be a member of the Westboro Baptist Church?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

The only contribution you have made to this community here is trying to appoint yourself parent and netiquette police.

When you have made addons and some actual viable contributions then I might start giving a shit about your opinion and what you think of my foul mouth...

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:22 pm

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 pm

That's some funny stuff right there...

Perhaps we can add a "Nether Region"...
Some of the other forums I am on have one and "anything goes" in the Nether Region...
Yeah, they get quite fun at times...

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:37 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:The only contribution you have made to this community here is trying to appoint yourself parent and netiquette police.

When you have made addons and some actual viable contributions then I might start giving a shit about your opinion and what you think of my foul mouth...
You have no clue who I am...
I have posts at WinCert with over 5k and 10k replies...

That forum is ran differently, I have to create new login names if I'm away for a while...

I contribute, whether you know my name or not, I contribute...
Yes, it has been several months and I have "abandoned" WinCert in FAVOR of RyanVM...

I "plan" on posting update packs here, "one of these days"...
Will have to admit though that it won't likely be before the kids move out of the house, I'm sure you know how that goes...

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Outbreaker wrote:Image
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 pm

That said, my general take is that people are expected to act like mature adults here and display a basic level of civility towards each other. Beyond that, I (and I hope the other mods as well) have better things to worry about than people using curse words.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

long-lurker

Post by long-lurker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:I have been programming, repairing and building computers since the commodor 64
ps - I still have my C64, still works also, replaced the sound chip twice :)

those were the good ol' days - had to sit and type in assembly code from Compute's Gazette, spend weeks upon weeks typing in code, then I got to play Pac-Man...

then the next Gazette would come out and I'd had to start typing in code all over again...

ah yes, the good ol' days...
i'm sure all of that assembly code could be referred to as "hacking" nowadays...