Future of WPI

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Kelsenellenelvian

Future of WPI

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:21 pm

Due to the advent of recent MS practices in the past couple of years (I refuse to install windows 10) and the lack of donations\interest in WPI I am announcing that WPI, likely will reach end of support in the next six months. As some of you know I rely solely on disability to live and I can no longer afford to keep up with domain costs, pc repairs and related costs.

Sad to announce but it has been a hell of a 13 year run for WPI. In it's current form it works well and will continue to work well with legacy os's (Windows 8 and further back)

I really don't have the will or energy to keep trying to breath life into WPI when the support is just not there.

Thank you to all of those who donated in time, sweat, knowledge and support.

- Kelsenellenelvian EverDawn

Zephyr

Re: Future of WPI

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:57 am

It makes a change for a developer to announce the reasons for discontinuing development of an application. Normally what happens is that they leave their project unfinished, stop posting on their forum, and fail to reply to messages on the feedback form.

In case anyone is wondering what WPI is here is the introduction from the website:

'Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI for short) is a hypertext application designed for giving users choice. While Windows XP offers many ways of customizing the setup process out of the box, its major drawback is the lack of being able to select which applications an end user may install. In the past, end users and administrators needed to either download the files manually, or create overly complex scripts that could only be used once. WPI allows you to create one image, which can then be custom configured, and optionally, automated, so that end users can install any applications'.

'WPI is a simple to use automation program for the choice and installation of multiple programs, tweaks and scripts. No longer will you need a dozen CD's or more when doing a fresh Installation. No longer will you need multiple files when you are servicing another PC. With Windows Post-Install Wizard all that you will need is 1 or 2 CD\DVD's to fully install your PC with all of your apps, scripts, registry files or tweaks. Instead of having to re-download those apps like adobe reader, flash or updates to programs you can have them all on one disk. With WPI you can have all of them all on one disk and then have a nice interface for selecting which apps to install and after configured properly WPI will install all of them without any needed input from you. WPI also and is commonly used added to your windows installation disks. This way you can automate the complete process of Windows and program installations'.

'With your typical setup of WPI you have your OS and all of the apps, tweaks and such on one disk. After windows installs, WPI kicks in and you are given a selection of everything you have configured WPI with, then you can select the ones you want or simply let the timer run out and your default apps will install'.
XP FOREVER!