Video/Audio Codecs?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Siginet
Site Admin

Video/Audio Codecs?

Post by Siginet » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:40 pm

I want to try to make a codecs addon that will integrate all of the most used codecs for audio/video but I do not want to integrate an entire codecs pack. I want to integrate the needed ones only.

Can some of you reccomend some of the best ones to me? I would like the name of the codec, what it is for and a link to download it if possible. ;)

Thanks. I really think a codec addon would be a great addon. :D
What do you all think?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

hajj_3

Post by hajj_3 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:42 pm

ac3 filter 1.01 rc5 (ac3filter.sourceforge.net)
xvid 1.1 (koepi.org)

those and divx 6.1 are usually the only codecs you need.

people can install quicktime/realplayer or the alternatives themselves.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:06 pm

If you're only going with the common necessities then I'd recommend putting GSpot 2.52 β01 in the addon as well (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm); just in case a user discovers an AVI they cannot play.

I'd recommend CyberLink's MPEG2 decoder as well for DVD playback, but I don't know how to get it without using K-Lite or installing CyberLink's player. :(

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:40 am

I personally reccomend NVidia's MPEG2 decoder because it also handles .tp/.ts files, but that too is a pay for addon, I'll look and see what you need for it, let me know via PM if you want to include it or not. I agree with the xvid 1.x and ac3 filter, but I generally insall all my files from Zoom Player's Site. The Open Source MPEG2 Decoder may be your best option as well as the splitter which is also need with that one, but they are excellent for decoding MPEG2's and they are free and Open Source. You can look at the downloads section there to get a sence of what people are using, I also use OGG audio and video, AC3, FLAC, 3GP, H264, and MP4 all of which you can obtain from there as well. There are others I use too but like was mentioned before they are installed with other apps I use like iTunes and MusicMatch Jukebox Plus or are already installed with WMP 9/10. Since MP4 is all the rage these days, most people are now starting to use H264 more and more that's one I'd definately include even though it's installed with iTunes as part of Quicktime. And yes they all work just fine with MP10 as I've been using it exclusively for several months now even though I'm not thrilled with the extra DRM that's bogging it down, but hey I've integrated MMJB into WMP10 now so that's a plus.

(Now if I can just convince Apple and Microsoft to embed each others codecs into each others players instead of having to download iTunes for the PC and WMP for the Mac, which is outdated by the way, I'd be in business. I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'd much rather have the WMP9/10 codecs available for iTunes on the Mac and have the iTunes/QuickTime codecs available on the PC as well as the ability to use both music stores on each system through the individual players then to have to install extra applications I don't need.)
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:05 am

OK... so hows this:

ac3filter_0_70b.exe (AC3 Audio Codec)
XviD-1.1.0-30122005.exe (XviD Video Codec)
DivXCreate.exe (DivX 6.1 Video Codec)
osmpegviddec.1.0.0.1_nt.exe (Open Source MPEG Video Decoder v1.0.0.1)

Should I integrate the GSpot Beta or the latest Stable release?
You guys think that would be a good package? I know we can't make everyone happy... but I just want to integrate the most needed stuff. I know xvid and ac3 is a must. I've never used the Open Source Mpeg before. But if you feel it is needed I will add it. Personally I rarley have a need for the divx either... but I know it is a popular one.

Hopefully I can make this pack... but I am not an expert with codecs... so I am gonna rely on the members to help me. ;) Would be nice if Xable and Kel can give me a helping hand. Or maybe I am just scaring myself and it is easier than I think. ;) lol!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:21 am

Don't forget you'll also need the OpenMpeg2Splitter file as well with it. I don't personally use GSPot, but the latest beta would be your best bet there, the stable release has a lot of problems in my opinion. I NEVER use DivX so I don't care one way or another for that one personally, but as far as making this pack, I also thought about doing one myself as well but since I'm having so many problems with your 1.05 integrator integrating my HackedFiles and Raid packs, I decided I'd wait and see before I do anything else with the add-ons.

Also, the mp3 decoder I hope is a given as well, you'd want to get the latest one of those, I forget which version is the best off hand. OGG and FLAC are also widely used too so I wouldn't forget them either.
Last edited by DisabledTrucker on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:24 am

Overall it will be very easy for you to do just a lot of registering dll and ocx files. Look in the MSFN forum unattended section for swgreed's codec pack and look at the cmd file that comes with it all the info you really will need is in there.

I will provide any help you need.

Personally I would just take swgreed's codec pack and use all of the codecs contained in it. It is all that I have used for codecs in months.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:37 am

You don't need all of that, Cyberlink and Elecard you have to pay for, I don't think you need M$'s MP4 or DirectShow if you're installing WMP 10, and you definately don't need the codecs for 9/10 if your also installing WMP10, I've never heard of ON2, but all the rest could be used from time to time by various people.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:39 am

Cyberlink and Elecard you have to pay for???? Explain please.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:45 am

Cyberlink MPEG2 decoder comes from Cyberlink's PowerDVD player, Elecard's MP2 Decoder comes from their player both of which you have to pay for.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:47 am

Both of those codecs can be freely found on multiple websites. Like free-codecs.com.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:53 am

That may be so, but that doesn't make them legal, you can also find the codecs by other companies on the internet as well, but that doesn't make them legal either, if he's worried about the legal situations of codecs he's best to stay away from anything that's not open sourced, and the Open Source MPEG2 player from Zoom is freely availble on SourceForge.org. I should also mention that it's a really good codec, I have exclusively used it on my system and only went to nVidia's codec because when I was first trying to play .ts files in my other system, (One that doesn't have an HDTV tuner installed,) I had problems playing them so I researched it and found out that the nVidia one was the best for them, that is until this update come out, which I haven't tested, but for DVD's the OpenSource MPEG2 decoder is pretty good.

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:55 am

This is exactly what i want, a codec pack which allows you to play most if not all stuff but it just contains the essentials. I, like you siginet know nothing about codecs, so, i started making a codec pack couple of weeks ago with these in that i currently use. MPC, Real Alt, QT Alt, DirectShow FilterPack and FDDShow.
MPC and Real Alt are done, QT Alt is done but yet to test it and not started on the other 2 yet.

If you need any help with the addon side sig i`ll try to help but i don`t think you`ll have any trouble ;)

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:38 pm

Xable wrote:This is exactly what i want, a codec pack which allows you to play most if not all stuff but it just contains the essentials. I, like you siginet know nothing about codecs, so, i started making a codec pack couple of weeks ago with these in that i currently use. MPC, Real Alt, QT Alt, DirectShow FilterPack and FDDShow.
MPC and Real Alt are done, QT Alt is done but yet to test it and not started on the other 2 yet.

If you need any help with the addon side sig i`ll try to help but i don`t think you`ll have any trouble ;)
Thanks X! Question... The QT Alt and RT Alt... they don't install quicktime and realplayer do they? They just basically make windows able to play those types of files right? If that is the case... I think it would be good to add those.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:47 pm

It just adds the codecs so that WMP6 can find them and use them, not sure if WMP10 can use them or not, I don't install them because I don't use Real Player at all, and I install iTunes which installs QuickTime with it and causes errors when QT Alt is also installed.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:53 pm

I use them with wmp10 and they work fine.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:13 pm

DisabledTrucker wrote:It just adds the codecs so that WMP6 can find them and use them, not sure if WMP10 can use them or not, I don't install them because I don't use Real Player at all, and I install iTunes which installs QuickTime with it and causes errors when QT Alt is also installed.
So if I add qt Alt then people who install ITunes will have issues? Hmmm... that's not good. Maybe it's best to leave rp alt and qt alt out then?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

JoeyJoe

Post by JoeyJoe » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:20 pm

If you want the most basic set of filters that will allow you to play almost anything:

FFDshow - will allow you to play any file that isnt quicktime, realmedia or the newest wmv format. Includes audio decoders (ie. no ac3filter). It also has problems with DVD files, so you will need a DVD decoder pack.
Haali Multimedia splitter - allows you to play MKV, and MP4 files in most players (other then wmp10 because of microsofts design)
You should also most likely add on the WMP 6.4 codecs addon, just so people can play new WMV files.

The QT and RM Alternatives arent legal at all, but they tend to turn a blind eye towards them. Might be better to have those as an "unsigned" addon so people can choose.

I atucally tried to set up a filter pack awhile ago, but i couldnt work out how to register the filters in XP without using RunOnce and i thought that was quite sloppy.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:35 pm

So what DVD Decoder(s) should I be putting into this pack?

I tried the Open Source Mpeg2 stuff... but it still won't play DVD's. :(

I am trying to test my ac3 addon that I made... but I can't even get windows media player to play the dvd files period lol! Kinda hard to test when it doesn't work at all.

I only want to test with free stuff... because this addon cannot contain any shareware or warez.

So the Cyberlink and Nvidia ones are out of the question I guess. :(
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:04 pm

OK... I am able to get sound but I get no picture. :(
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Could my problem be just in VMware? because I can hear sound but I see no video now. No matter what I do I can not get video to show. :( Which is odd because if I remember correctly Windows Media Player would play the dvds but with no sound, and that is with no added codecs.

I only want to test in VMWare... because I do not want to mess my own system up playing around with codecs.

I even tried installing only the codecpack made here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=14614
and I still have the same issue. :(

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just VMware?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

end3rkid

Post by end3rkid » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:21 pm

Can you add this ones?

http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:23 pm

most likely is the fact that your in VMware because DirectX wont work correctly that way, if memory serves a lot of DirectX calls wont work in any Virtual Machine...

JoeyJoe

Post by JoeyJoe » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:02 pm

Ive atucally had VMWare play movies for me (albiet slowly, but it does work) what version are you using ?

Elecard MPEG Video Decoder will allow people to play DVD's and is freeware to the best of my knoweldge. Doom9 has it on his download page at http://www.doom9.org/software2.htm#filters . Its a great pack to intregrate from what i remember, since it has 0 registery entries.

Id avoid the http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/ also, they are an akin to an older time and arent really needed anymore now that you can play the files via ffdshow and Haali multimedia splitter.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:25 pm

As I've explained before the Elecard decoder isn't free, you must pay for it or use the one which is a time limited demo: Here is the link to Elecard's website which shows this to be true!

For a llist of their freeware look here

JoeyJoe

Post by JoeyJoe » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Darn, sorry DisabledTrucker. I skimmed the above text and didnt really read it all!

Im just suprised doom9 has a non-freeware thing on his page then, its not like he has 'warez' anywhere.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:04 pm

Damn... so what are we gonna use for DVD stuff?

Or does the Open Source stuff do the job just fine?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:56 pm

Like I said OpenSource works for me, then I don't have it installed currently because I'm using nVidia's decoder which is slightly better IMO, but others say they love it. The problem you may be having with them is that they all use DirectX to work, so if it's attempting to run with DirectX files that aren't available to VM then it's not going to work when you test it that way. You'll only be able to do a fresh install test of it. You can always release what you have and tell everyone it's a total beta and that you've not even been able to test it that it needs testing on a fresh install of XP because it wont work in VM. Other than that I don't know what to tell you about codecs for DVD's because the MP2 decoders that are used are primarily using copywritten code that's licensed somewhere I forgot where now, but the OpenSource one apparently isn't.

If you're wanting to I can send you the files for the nVidia decoder and you can be the one to leak them just as the others have been done to, I'm not getting sued by nVidia for it though, I love their products too much to be spending a fortune in court costs fighting them... I believe their like the rest once they are installed you don't need the key to activate them, but I can't be certain of it, I've never paid any attention to it, but they are by far the best codecs and they cover .ts/tp files as well. They are even better than the next best which are the Cyberlink PowerDVD ones, which have already been leaked and were already mentioned above.

Geq

Defiler pack?

Post by Geq » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:50 am

Defiler pack is light weight, mostly open source and plays nearly anything out there ... Besides defiler is pretty helpful :)
http://hellninjacommando.com/defilerpak/
What is it?
The DefilerPak is a minimalist collection of video and audio codecs designed to keep you up to date with the latest developments.
What's included?

* ffdshow: Rapidly making codec packs obsolete. Plays almost everything.
* Haali Media filter: Supports the Matroska, MP4, and OGM A/V container formats.
* VSFilter: Supports a wide variety of subtitle formats.
* DivX ;-) Audio: Just in case.
* AC3 XForm filter: Makes life a little easier for folks with external Dolby Digital decoders.
* HDTVPump: Support for HD/ATSC transport streams.

DisabledTrucker

Re: Defiler pack?

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:52 am

Geq wrote:Defiler pack is light weight, mostly open source and plays nearly anything out there ... Besides defiler is pretty helpful :)
http://hellninjacommando.com/defilerpak/
What is it?
The DefilerPak is a minimalist collection of video and audio codecs designed to keep you up to date with the latest developments.
What's included?

* ffdshow: Rapidly making codec packs obsolete. Plays almost everything.
* Haali Media filter: Supports the Matroska, MP4, and OGM A/V container formats.
* VSFilter: Supports a wide variety of subtitle formats.
* DivX ;-) Audio: Just in case.
* AC3 XForm filter: Makes life a little easier for folks with external Dolby Digital decoders.
* HDTVPump: Support for HD/ATSC transport streams.
You forgot to add:
Known Bugs

If you enable any of the newer features of ffdshow, God knows what will happen. Fear walks among us, clothed in DirectShow.
H.264 playback is still not perfect with ffdshow. If this is important to you, I recommend buying a copy of Nero.
Any other bugs you encounter are special "easter eggs" included for my loyal fans.
Take special note of the last known bug! :P

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:28 pm

DisabledTrucker wrote:
defiler wrote:Any other bugs you encounter are special "easter eggs" included for my loyal fans.
LOL! You have to love a coder with a sense of humor. :)
defiler also wrote:DefilerPak is compatible with all DirectShow players. Feel free to choose one that sucks.