Dotnet Apps Help Needed

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
dgelwin

Dotnet Apps Help Needed

Post by dgelwin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:01 am

I need someone to plz list at least five Dotnet 1.1 apps (preferebly small ones) and there respective download links, also i need five for dotnet 2.0(again small ones) and download links as well.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 am

What for D?

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:10 am

i finally finished my DotNet 2.0 direct integration addon, but yesterday i created a Dotnet 1.1 Direct integration addon and i decided to merge the two. i Know the Dotnet 2.0 addon works, but since i merged them i havent got chance to test it, and after my last test i accidently deleted the temp folder i had with all my .net apps :(

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:37 am

nlite is the only one I can think of off hand...

edit paint.net...
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 am

i need links preferebly, today is kind of a hecktick day for me, not really up for googling fo downloads. :(, lots of schoolwork, i just want to test it, then i will pm a couple of you who are willing to beta test it for me and if alls good, then public release.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:05 pm

I'll beta test the .net2.0/.net1.1 integrated addon. Sounds like an addon that would work perfectly for my disks. :D Thx dglewin.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm

so far it has worked perfectly with nlite and paint dotnet which were the only two recomendations i got, but now i would like some complex dotnet programs to try out to make sure everything is working good, does anyone have an idea of what program i can try?
@siginet, once ive made sure it works perfectly for me, ill definitely send you a link so you can test it, hopefully early tomorow morning, or in the afternoon.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I was actually thinking of working on a direct integration dotnet pack too. :) Glad you did it though! :D I'm sure it was a pain. But it would be a very valuable addon pack. Because it really slows down the install of a pc.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:55 pm

dgelwin, does it work with ATI's Control Center? If so this would be the ideal addon to use with Bâshrat's latest Driverpacks!

Please keep us posted. :D

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:05 am

Is this gonna be an actual integration pack or a switchless addon I am kinda confused.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:34 am

If memory serves nVidia's drivers require at least .net 1.1 to install, there was something else I run across lately too that required 1.1 but I can't remember off hand what it is... I know of none that require 2.x except nlite that I recommended earlier...

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:29 am

Direct .net, nice one! Shyed away from it myself so thanxs for saving the trouble :)

Adminstudio needs 1.1 btw.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:58 am

@DT: Which nVidia driver is that? I have an AMD nForce4 motherboard with two GeForce 7800 GTXs in SLI that doesn't need .NET.

I do, however, also have an ATI Radeon X850 XT that resides in an nForce3 motherboard. The ATI Control Panel doesn't need .NET, but the optional Control Center requires it to install as stated in my above post.

@dgelwin: I'd be happy to test on a live system for proper Control Center operation if you haven't tested it already. ;) PM me if you're interested.
Last edited by 5eraph on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:14 am

The nforce2 drivers did require it, not sure anymore since I don't install them like that anyways anymore... I slipstream them into my O/S when I install...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:18 am

An ex-girlfriend of mine has an nForce2 that I put together, but I don't remember if she needed it or not. That's where my SCSI hard drives ran off to. :( (at least the warranties were expired) You're probably right.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:00 pm

thanx for the advice with ati control panel, and the new nvid driver, both applets work fine, and nvidia installs perfectly, im satisfied with the work, right now all im doing is trying to see if i can get the size of the pack down by merging reduntant files in the cabs i created so far the entire pack is about 22 mb, i want to get it a little smaller
@Kel, this is not a silent instaler, it is direct integration addon.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Ooooo Very nice m8.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm

verrryyyyyy long you mean, just the regestry inf portion with the reg enties for the addon is almost 1.56MB big. it was a b%&%& converting all those entries, the files portion was easy, the only hard part was figuring which files got replaced by .net 2.0, and reusing several of the files in a single cab which goto multiple directories.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:49 pm

cool im almost finished i ran into my first snag though, all my test that i ran worked perfectly, only thing is all the test that i ran were on a system with hacked sfc. when i try it on a system with a genuine sfc, everything still works perfectly except windows xp does not protect the .net files, you can easily replace or delete any of them, so i need advice from some.

1.-should i include the cat files? if so what is the command for regestering them?
or
2.- Forget about the cats since everything works and release the addon for testing?

what do you think i should do?

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:58 pm

You could try to install Visual Studio 2005 Express. It requires .NET 2.0.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:28 pm

dgelwin wrote:cool im almost finished i ran into my first snag though, all my test that i ran worked perfectly, only thing is all the test that i ran were on a system with hacked sfc. when i try it on a system with a genuine sfc, everything still works perfectly except windows xp does not protect the .net files, you can easily replace or delete any of them, so i need advice from some.

1.-should i include the cat files? if so what is the command for regestering them?
or
2.- Forget about the cats since everything works and release the addon for testing?

what do you think i should do?
To register the cats you place them in svcpack directory and you put them in svcpack.inf using your entrie*.ini file in the [svcpack_catalogs] section.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:38 pm

@hp38guser, tnx i think i have a copy round here somewhere i will give that a try as well, and at the same time test compiling a program in .net.

@siginet, is there any way to register the cat file after windows is installed, a command for regestering cat files or something, because i would like to monitor the changes made and reflect them in my inf so as to avoid adding any extra cat files to the ever increasing number.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:08 pm

dgelwin wrote:is there any way to register the cat file after windows is installed, a command for regestering cat files or something, because i would like to monitor the changes made and reflect them in my inf so as to avoid adding any extra cat files to the ever increasing number.
I had to really dig around for this, but your answers are here.
RyanVM wrote:I've tried manually registering the CAT files with signtool and have seen firsthand that it'll refuse to register them after a certain point (it errors out after a long delay).
So to answer your question, it doesn't matter if you register CATs through svcpack or signtool. The limit still applies. It's far simpler to use svcpack anyway. :)
Last edited by 5eraph on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:13 pm

@seraph yes i found the same info just now in google at this address http://msdn2.microsoft.com/8s9b9yaz.aspx but i still need signtool.exe, anyone who has it and can please pm with a link to an upload i would greatly appreaciate it.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:37 pm

SignTool should be located in the .NET Software Development Kit from Microsoft.If I remember correctly, I think you said once that you're on dial-up. I'll download v2.0 and pull it out for you.

I'm only getting ~60KB/s download speed from Microsoft. Give me a few. :)

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:11 pm

Adminstudio installs it :)

Edit removed link - Don`t mention it dgelwin!
Last edited by Xable on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:19 pm

I seem to get a totally different file from the SDK:

Edit: Link removed.
Last edited by techtype on Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:23 pm

ill download and check both out, whichever does the job well that ill use.

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Yeah i figured there would be variations not sure what differance it would make but i`m downloading .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 SDK now to check them out.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:41 pm

both re lined up for download now, im also trying to download .net sdk,
@5eraph i used to have dialup speeds because of the limitations the damn it guy set up on the router, but i upped the badwidth a little bit now im getting a wopping 128kb/s connection speedwhich translates to a 15KB average download speed. :(

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:51 pm

jcarle's new utility for downloading hotfixes requires .NET 2.0. I know it's not a complex application, but nonetheless it does require .NET 2.0 in order to run. Now if MSFN comes back online, you could try that out.

One question I have regarding this project. What is the liklihood of an update from MS properly installing? I mean we're basically dealing with V1.0 when it comes to the 2.0 runtimes :? How's that for a bass ackwards statement? Point being, is that you just KNOW they're going to be putting out 2.0 SP1 in the next couple of months.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:39 pm

@Roguespear, im basing the addon for .net 1.1 on ryans switchless installer, and my addon for 2.0 on your silent installer, and im not leaving anything out, everything that gets done during those installations will be done by the addon, i even did a flash file and regestry comparison to make sure every things is the same on my last install when i was testing it, and the program indicated a 97 % similarity in the reg entries. and a 100% similarity in the files (placement,version number, filesize and hash) ive come to the conclusion that the 3 % difference in the regestry is caused by the fact that i used a different name and company and network workgroup when installing windows, so i figure that would make for the differences.

so to answer your question i turn to you, since it was your beautiful work on the silent installer that motivated me to do this addon, is it upgradeble?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:47 pm

Ok, I was misunderstanding the premise behind the addon. Yea, it's essentially a stock install. The only mod I made was deleting the custom action that prevents you from performing an install without the setup.exe file (or was it install.exe). It's really just a 7-Zip installer packed at the max compression 7-Zip can manage. Another good reason to have 2GB of RAM.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:06 pm

YGPM, dgelwin.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:50 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the cat issue for now. If we need to worry later then we can worry about it then. Svcpack should be fine for now. Even if you install the cat after windows (if you are over 150) you would still have issues when you update windows. So allthough the cat being installed after windows will help the install to be faster... you will still have issues later anyways.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:32 am

@Siginet, thanx for how to create addon for cat files, what i will do is create a separate addon for regestering the cat files, that way you can integrate that addon if you use sfc original, but if you use sfc patched there is no need to integrate seeing as how windows wont protect your files anyway.

techtype

Post by techtype » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:51 am

dgelwin wrote:@Siginet, thanx for how to create addon for cat files, what i will do is create a separate addon for regestering the cat files, that way you can integrate that addon if you use sfc original, but if you use sfc patched there is no need to integrate seeing as how windows wont protect your files anyway.
Isn't that already a function of the Integrator?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:29 pm

The integrator can do the oposite of what you want to do dglewin.

It has a choice of [removable_cats] any cat listed in [removable_cats] will be removed and sfc will be turned off. ;)

So my suggestion is to add the cat in your addon. Then you can release an addon that is just an entries file that has the removable_cats section in it. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician