Making a slipstreamed Royalty OEM (Dell or HP) XP WPA CD?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Amiga

Making a slipstreamed Royalty OEM (Dell or HP) XP WPA CD?

Post by Amiga » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:05 pm

I want to make slipstreamed Royalty OEM XP CDs (for new retail PCs) not using the bundled Royalty OEM media. You know, using the key that actually came with a Dell or HP. I found this site that explains Windows Product IDs. I also found this site that goes into changing XP's setupp.ini. This article, Activating Windows, explains Royalty OEM WPA. The goal of this idea is not for an unattended install, but for a legal slipstreamed copy of Windows XP.

This is my proposed method:

1) Fire up that new sypware infested eMachine or Acer and grab the following files from it, SETUPP.INI, OEMBIOS.BIN, OEMBIOS.CAT, OEMBIOS.DAT, and OEMBIOS.SIG.

2) Use MAKECAB or a GUI tool like Compression Bin to compress the OEMBIOS files listed above.

3) Slipstream (nLite or RVM Integrator) a generic Windows XP OEM CD that matches the flavor of the Royalty OEM XP key. So if the key that came with a Compaq is for Windows XP Home, slipstream a generic Windows XP Home OEM CD. A generic Windows XP OEM CD is media purchased with hardware from a retailer like Newegg.

4) Insert the copied SETUPP.INI and the various compressed OEMBIOS files (from step 2) into the slipstreamed Windows XP I386 directory.

5) Produce an ISO of the slipstreamed Windows XP with nLite or through another means.

6) Burn the newly created XP ISO with Nero or the free ImgBurn (companion to DVD Decrypter).

Usually, I would suggest testing the slipstreamed Windows CD with the free VMware Player using these instructions, but the VMware Player contains a different BIOS (from the step 1 copied OEMBIOS files) that will not allow the Royalty OEM WPA to work.

:?: Okay, I have yet to test this method because I wanted others to give me feedback first. I am lost on the fact whether or not it matters on what flavor of XP Home or Pro (step 3) to slipstream since the SETUPP.INI file instructs XP what kind of installs are allowed and what keys are acceptable. Any help would be appreciated.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:51 pm

This is a very interesting project you are working on here.

I have many friends who have those hideous Dell or HP install disks you mention and they curse them to infinity cos it makes it so hard to upgrade hardware or choose their own particular propietary apps. Most peeps I talk to would way rather have a freeware AV and FW software pre-installed so they are not trapped in a situtation of expiring trial copies and not being able to properly uninstall the things.

I hope you get some valuable input into this and I'll be watching to see how it develops. Sorry I can't be of any use myself, just wanted to let you know I support the principle of what you propose ;)

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:18 am

That's what I'm doing except all my stuff is volume and intended for a corporate environment.
Do you have stairs in your house?

Amiga

It worked!

Post by Amiga » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:16 pm

Okay, I am happy as a clam, it worked! I love the idea of making slipstreamed Windows XP CDs that use the keys and activation of Royalty OEMs. I plan on producing an updated guide with a few points I failed to mention. The most important thing I forgot is retrieving the Windows XP key that your Vaio has. This key is not the one listed on the sticker. Also, try to get the keys/serials for OEM bundled applications, such as Nero, prior to nuking the PC with a clean slipstreamed XP CD. Use the retrieved Windows XP key (not the pretty sticker) during the installation Windows XP.

XIII

Post by XIII » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:15 am

Did step 1 work?

Like I said on the nLite forum, I performed something similar on my father's PC, except for the fact that I took the SLP files from the recovery partition.

Would like to know whether step 1 works as well, since I had to use a plain RTM Windows XP that matches the SLP files from the recovery partition (which was plain RTM). Perhaps using your method, I can use an SP2 slipstreamed XP immediately (instead of slipstreaming it myself).
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

Mythbinder

Post by Mythbinder » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:08 am

There seem to be some real Fubar'd Dell CD's Out there. I just went thru trying to simply slipstream SP2 on mine. and numerous "suggestions" and "techniques" including the one here did Not work for me.

The solution I finaly Found that did work was post By onenetdan here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums ... ing&page=1
1.) Open a Command Prompt and switch to C:\WIN_CD\CD\I386

2.) Delete these:
the 'SVCPACK' directory
Q######.EXE (these are duplicates of the files in the 'SVCPACK' directory)
SVCPACK.INF and replace it with SVCPACK.IN_ from a "non-slipstreamed/non-hotfix integrated" XP CD

3.) Edit DOSNET.INF (with notepad) and remove:
[OptionalSrcDirs]
SVCPACK

4.) For each of the files below, type: makecab filename.ext

example: C:\WIN_CD\CD\I386>makecab 1394BUS.SYS

1394BUS.SYS
ACGENRAL.DLL
ACLAYERS.DLL
ACSPECFC.DLL
ACXTRNAL.DLL
APPHELP.SDB
APPS.CHM
ATAPI.SYS
AUTOLFN.EXE
D3D8.DLL
DDRAW.DLL
LOGON.SCR
MISCP.CHM
MISCW.CHM
MSIMAIN.SDB
MSTASK.DLL
MSTINIT.EXE
MUP.SYS
NTKRNLMP.EXE
NTOSKRNL.EXE
OHCI1394.SYS
PCI.SYS
SCHEDSVC.DLL
SCRNSAVE.SCR
SHELL32.DLL
SNMP.EXE
SNMPAPI.DLL
SRRSTR.DLL
SRSVC.DLL
SS3DFO.SCR
SSBEZIER.SCR
SSDPAPI.DLL
SSDPSRV.DLL
SSFLWBOX.SCR
SSMARQUE.SCR
SSMYST.SCR
SSPIPES.SCR
SSSTARS.SCR
SSTEXT3D.SCR
SYSMAIN.SDB
SYSSETUP.DLL
SYSTEM.CHM
TERMSRV.DLL
UPNP.DLL
WHATNEWP.CHM
WHATNEWW.CHM
WIN32K.SYS
WINLOGON.EXE
WSNMP32.DLL

5.) Delete the files listed above from step 4. Delete these files also:

NTKRNLPA.EXE
NTKRPAMP.EXE
REDBOOK.SYS
SPMSG.DLL
SYSCOMPONENTINFO.JS

Then continue the slipstream process. It's a pain, but it worked for me. Good luck!

I simplified the process of course by making batch files with cut/paste. Thought I'd include this solution on this thread, incase anyone here runs into one of these disc's.