Whats your job and why do you make addons?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
JoeyJoe

Whats your job and why do you make addons?

Post by JoeyJoe » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Hey all, im curious at why we are all here and doing these. Whats your job and why do you make addons?

I work as a "Crowd Controller" (aka a bouncer) at a few local nightclubs and i am also a professional Bodybuilder. Ive won a few reigonal championships and have medals for Deadlifting 400 kgs (881 pounds), Bench Pressing 220 kgs (485 pounds), Squating 300 kgs (661 pounds) and Shoulder Pressing 155 kgs (341 pounds). I cant do most of these weights anymore since they require lots of training. I can do half the weight of the deadlifts and benchpress, and i can do about 85 - 90% of the weight of the shoulder press and squats. Back when i was in competition, i weighed 115 kgs (253 pounds) with 8% body fat. Right now, im 90 kgs (200 pounds) with approxmately 12% body fat. So im not small, but im nowhere near as big as i was in my heyday. I want to get stronger like that again and compete for more medals, but its harder now that im older. Incase your curious, im 177 cm tall (around 5'11).

The reason i make the addons, work as a bouncer and do private security is i like people around me to feel safe and happy. I always get a buzz when i know ive helped someone else out when they thought noone else would or could. It was always in my nature to help everyone around me even to the detriment of myself, and my school grades were a testiment to that...

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:32 pm

Well... I hope I never piss you off! :eek: I weigh about 135 pounds (if I'm lucky) and I'm the skinniest man I know! LOL! I could probably bench press the pole! :P

I make all of this stuff because I own my own computer service company. It makes my job a lot easier to have everything automated. ;) Oh and I am the laziest man alive!!! ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

zzzz

Post by zzzz » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:45 pm

Wow JoeyJoe, how old are you?
I've been training with weights too, but it'll probably take me 2 more years to do as much as you do now :D.
Do you know bodybuilding.com forum? Have you posted any pics there? Can you post your stats? I think we should have a facebook here somewhere :D.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 pm

I'm a student at Drexel University working on a BS/MS in Materials Engineering. Computers have been a hobby since my age was in the single digits (the first computer I ever played with was a Toshiba with 640k of RAM with a blue and white screen and DOS 3.0 on it - hardcore :P).

I got involved with MSFN as a whole back when Blaster hit a few years ago. At the time, it was running quite rampant on the our college network. A friend of mine had his hard drive die on him. When the replacement came, we left his computer unplugged from the network during Windows setup. In the time it took for us to plug his computer into the internet and update his antivirus software, his computer got infected with Blaster. It was at that point that I decided there had to be a better way to do things.

Originally, all I wanted to do was find a way to install hotfixes on XP without needing to be online so I could get XP patched up without having to get online and get infected. In the process, I found MSFN and was instantly taken at the idea of an unattended CD (since I was the unofficial tech support guy for the entire hallway in my residence hall :P) and being able to install hotfixes during setup rather than after the fact. What a great idea!

As a result, I dived in headfirst. My first big project was slipstreaming SATA/RAID drivers into the CD, as some of you old timers may be aware of. At the time, I was running a motherboard that had an Si3112 and an ITE8212 (ugh, what a POS that was) IDE RAID controller on it. After getting those drivers slipstreamed into my own CD, I decided it wouldn't be a whole lot more work to add more controllers and make a release for the community out of it.

However, I got quickly tired of that, as it was hard to stay motivated on a project toward which I really had no personal use. I took about a three month hiatus from MSFN as I got pretty burned out in general with the whole thing. I kept working on the SATA/RAID pack on the side in the meantime, promising a new release at some point in the future.

During that time, Bashrat the Sneaky began his driver packs, of which I was pretty quickly impressed. I therefore offered him my SATA/RAID pack to continue development on, since I really didn't want to work on it anymore anyway. He thankfully took it up and has done an absolutely phenominal job with it since.

It wasn't long after turning over the SATA/RAID pack to Bashrat that I decided to take on a far more ambitious project. It was around September of 2004. XP SP2 had come out in August and the first hotfixes were starting to show up for it. I was really excited at first because the new hotfixes supported the /integrate switch, exactly like the main service pack installer did. Since hotfix integration was what first drew me into the whole unattended scene, I was extremely excited at the prospect of having fixes "just be there" without me having to maintain batch files and the like.

Of course, I quickly discovered that the /integrate command for hotfixes was half-baked at best (though in hindsight, it's really the best MS can do with the constraints they've got). The fact that they would replace the file in i386 with an uncompressed version of the new file and STILL require the hotfix EXE to be run after the fact on top of it struck as completely wasteful and time consuming. Therefore, I decided that there had to be a better way.

I began to think about how nice it would be to have things be really integrated into the CD, with files directly replacing their older versions on the CD and not needing any EXEs to be run during XP setup. I began doing some research (and talking to some extremely bright members of the community - all of which are credited on my site and in my INF). I had to learn how to create INFs since I'd never used them before. Thank God for gosh's site, which I still use all the time as an excellent reference.

Fast forward a month (and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears), and out came the first ever RyanVM Update Pack. The rest is pretty much history (or at least documented on these forums and the MSFN forums). At least, the rest is another long monologue that I'll have to save for another time :P.

I guess I'll just close with this. Addons are kind of a funny story. Their whole existance was pretty much an accident. I wanted to make my life easier with update pack maintenance, and splitting some of the extraneous stuff from the pack into an addon was an easy way to do it since it meant I could maintain just one Update Pack instead of three. Oh well, I guess things have a strange and funny way of working out in the end :P
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Oh, another funny tidbit. When ryanvm.net started out, it was on a hosting plan that provided 20GB/month of bandwidth. Currently, I use more than 20GB a day (last month, about 800GB total). Talk about upscaling :lol:

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:54 am

Siginet wrote:Well... I hope I never piss you off! :eek: I weigh about 135 pounds (if I'm lucky) and I'm the skinniest man I know! LOL! I could probably bench press the pole! :P

I make all of this stuff because I own my own computer service company. It makes my job a lot easier to have everything automated. ;) Oh and I am the laziest man alive!!! ;)
((((yawn)))) I think I can safely speak for 99% of women when I say we would rather be shagged by a skinny guy who can make us laugh than some Terminator clone who is as sensual as a lump of rock. We wanna meet a guy who adores us instead of the narcissistic image of his own rippling biceps in the bathroom mirror.

On a scale of 1 - 10, with "10" being the most boring introduction line of all time I would rate as 10 the guy who introduces himself by the amount of weights he can lift, eg: "Hullo, my name is Arrhnold, I can benchpress a 10 tonne truck and have 2% body fat".... like who the fuck cares? :lol:

It's the power of my mind that makes me feel "safe"... well that and the fact I have done various styles martial arts for most of my life. I only practice Tai Chi these days, but all my old Aikido reflexes and "street smarts" are still there if I should ever need them... and I can assure you that size has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Oh and my day job... I'm an ex-telecom faults tech currently doing part-time teachers training and part-time graphics/web design for community groups.

I learned to make addons cos I do voluntary work recycling old business PC's for peeps who are retired or on welfare (to promote computer literacy for poor peeps in the community) and I like how much time it can save me to get all the tweaks and freeware apps I used to have to spend hours installing manually into an unattended build.

Cheers

PS: If it makes ya feel any better Siggie, all the gals I know who dated weightlifters all said they had really small penises and a sense of humour to match. ;)

JoeyJoe

Post by JoeyJoe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:22 am

Siginet wrote:Well... I hope I never piss you off! :eek: I weigh about 135 pounds (if I'm lucky) and I'm the skinniest man I know! LOL! I could probably bench press the pole! :P
Very few things annoy me Sig! :) One thing that really pisses me off is the disrespect most of the younger generation have these days, the other, bullies. I cannot stand bullies in any sort of situation.

So you run your own business Sig? Thats great, been there done that myself, i hated the tax work. :evil: Remember, its personality that counts, not looks! And, its never to late to start loving your body (pun intended!), but you have to start bodybuilding for yourself, not for others. The way i started was some wanker at the gym told me id never look as good or be as strong as he was because he was on steriods. That was definately the wrong way to get into it, and i hurt myself very early and needed a year long break.
zzzz wrote:Wow JoeyJoe, how old are you?
I've been training with weights too, but it'll probably take me 2 more years to do as much as you do now :D.
Do you know bodybuilding.com forum? Have you posted any pics there? Can you post your stats? I think we should have a facebook here somewhere :D.
Im 25. I dont post on the bodybuilding forums, to many people there say that the only way to get gains is to use products like pro-hormones and suppliments. The only suppliment i use is protein powder and i do mostly sets of compounding movements. Thats the key to building size and strength, but it will destroy definition. I've never posted pictures there myself mainly because when i was at my peak i didnt know it existed and i didnt use the internet as often. Now, i look small to myself and i dont want to post pictures ;)
RyanVM wrote:Oh, another funny tidbit. When ryanvm.net started out, it was on a hosting plan that provided 20GB/month of bandwidth. Currently, I use more than 20GB a day (last month, about 800GB total). Talk about upscaling :lol:
Oh my god, thats alot of bandwith. Good thing you have a good webspace provider! Great story on how it all started too Ryan.
Mrs Peel wrote:((((yawn)))) I think I can safely speak for 99% of women when I say we would rather be shagged by a skinny guy who can make us laugh than some Terminator clone who is as sensual as a lump of rock. We wanna meet a guy who adores us instead of the narcissistic image of his own rippling biceps in the bathroom mirror.

On a scale of 1 - 10, with "10" being the most boring introduction line of all time I would rate as 10 the guy who introduces himself by the amount of weights he can lift, eg: "Hullo, my name is Arrhnold, I can benchpress a 10 tonne truck and have 2% body fat".... like who the fuck cares? :lol:
LOL, I think you'll find in the experience of every male in the world who has ever had a girlfriend can say, because a woman says one thing, it doesnt mean she will do that :P Theres no such thing as a woman who knows what she wants :)
Mrs Peel wrote:PS: If it makes ya feel any better Siggie, all the gals I know who dated weightlifters all said they had really small penises and a sense of humour to match. ;)
While we are telling stories, what about this one? I had a girlfriend a few years ago now who was a teacher at the primary school, and part time teacher at a local karate place. She was a black belt, could kick the crap out of me. But anyway, we ended up breaking up and all that stuff, but we kept in contact. The last i heard from her, she was disqualified from working with children because she got a Sexually Transmitted Disease and got hooked on drugs while still teaching at the school. I wouldnt be suprised to see her working a street corner. Interesting story about teachers isnt it Mrs P ? :P

Arent generalisations fun? :rolleyes:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:20 am

@Mrs Peel :shock: :mrgreen:
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:47 am

Siginet wrote:I weigh about 135 pounds (if I'm lucky) and I'm the skinniest man I know!
6'3", 120lbs. You are now no longer the skinniest man you know, unless you're over 6'5". :wink:

And while I've only done 2 addons thus far, I do them because I love the exploration of new possibilities. Of defining and refining what I never knew before and finding out what I can and cannot do, so I know where to push even further for even more possibilities. That, and ultimately, it just comes down to this: I do because I can and because it's there.

As for day jobs, I've had more than I can feasibly recall right now. :)

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:31 am

6'5" and still growing. I've only made 2 Addon's and some Removal tools. I make the removal ones because I got sick and tired of nLite screwing up all my installs. So I when I found out that the intergrator could be used to remove stuff, I made a whole bunch of removal addons. I'm currently between College's. I got into unattended install's when I worked for my HS. There was no way that I was doing 500 computer's manually.

Speaking of bad Motherboards, mine won't boot without a primary slave.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:16 am

Well this ought to go over like a fart in church.. I'm a cop :D My fascination with computers began the first time I used one back around 1982 (before some of you whippersnappers were born). The first computer I owned was an Atari 800, with 48k of RAM. I had a 300 baud modem for it too that hooked in through the joystick port. Microcom made it I believe. My buddy and I got into all sorts of trouble for calling up the NORAD missle defense system and screwing around.

This naturally led to consulting and $30/hour wasn't too bad in those days for a 17 yeard old kid. I knew WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and dBase III. The holy trinity of applications in the late 80's. Well eventually I got burned out on working with computers. More accurately I got burned out working with suit and tie stiffs. So I decided to become a cop.

Over the years I became the go to guy for fixing the MDTs in the patrol cars. So much so that the larger county government that runs the whole thing started asking me for help. I spent 5 years working night shift and for 7 years now I've been working full time on my department's network. So much for getting away from what burned me out. For the past couple of years I've spread myself out rather thin by taking on a couple clients for consulting. They each could use a full time IT guy, but as long as they think they're saving money by having me come in for 10 hours a week, I'll keep coming in I guess.

I've been working on unattended installations and RIS pretty much since Windows 2000 was released. Back when XP SP2 was released I started to take all of the hotfixes and optional downloads and started adding them one by one to cmdlines.txt. I was set in my ways and had some other odd little tips and tricks to shoe horn things in. Then there was this young punk with an attitude who thought he had a better way of doing things :wink: Little did I know LOL. I was so stuck in my old ways that it took me a week just to see what it was and how he was doing this "direct integration" thingy. Needless to say I dropped my old ways like an old habit.

I suppose there was a point to this thread :o My update pack (now defunct) and the installers I make are actually things I've made to make my life easier. I thought perhaps they could make someone else's life easier as well, so I post them. Every now and again I'll make something that doesn't have a whole lot of use for me, but I figure there's a ton of others that would.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:48 pm

I do many things for our company, but the title on my business card is "Director of Product Line Development." Yeah, it's a mouthful. I was given that title on my card so that it I could be the go-to guy when our company goes to trade shows.

Originally, I was a technician for Best Buy (I know... :(). It was awful, so we'll end that part of my story right now. Between BB and my current job, I worked at the Post Office. I was getting ready to quit ... just waiting for the right time. Then I got a call from an old coworker at BB. He was working for a retail development team (A group of people that put together a concept for a retail store). He was offering me a job to make the website for the company they were building. So I was scheduled to go in for an interview. During the interview, I explained that I had never made a professional site, but was fully capable of it. I was paid a small amount for showing up for the job. I thought for sure I wouldn't see them again.

They called me the next day and asked me to come in. I went in, but to my surprise, I wasn't making the site. Instead, they were showing me numbers, and asking me to consult them on yet ANOTHER store they were putting together. Well, that store happened to be a computer repair/sales store. I gave my input based mostly on information and statistics gathered from BB. Then we started building computers, and I provided an unattended disc that I had created. Eventually, I was in charge of ordering product, and doing international trades.

I've only put together one add-on for this board (it was a CPL add-on) -- all of my other addons would be frowned upon: WGA Hack, Sysinternals, and non-freeware applications. Most other add-ons that I would ever need have already been provided on this board. But I'm working on another "surprise" project for the MSFN community. :)

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:52 am

RogueSpear wrote:My fascination with computers began the first time I used one back around 1982 (before some of you whippersnappers were born).
Born, 1976. First Computer: TRS-80 scavanged from a dump run, Year: 1980. Yes, I had my first computer at age 4. :) @ age 6 I rebuilt a damaged cradle modem and created (with my fathers assistance) a comm port for the TRS-80 as well as a dual-array tape cassette data recording system (in lieu of the floppy drives that couldn't be afforded at the time).

Second computer was still a "Trash 80" but via donation, it was a model II with floppy drives, that's when I started getting into code. First game I cloned was the Arcade version of Xaxxon. w00t! Between that, Zork, Elisa and Murder Mysteries I developed the bizzare style of learning I have today.

Since then, I'm still just one step or one generation behind the current "market" hardware, but every piece of hardware I have sings.

Hillbillie

Post by Hillbillie » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:12 am

RogueSpear wrote: My buddy and I got into all sorts of trouble for calling up the NORAD missle defense system and screwing around.
lol, I saw that movie...."Do you want to play a game"

I too got my first computer in 82. Commodore 64, then started trading games over the mail. 5.25" floppies. I remember typing my first games out of Computer gazette. My first modem was a 300 baud. I got on some bbss in St. Louis, and took the first modem back for a volksmodem. it could go up to 450. Man was I flying...

I use these great addons everyday on customers computers. I charge only $59.95 to format and install the 2 disk install. They think it takes 2 days but only about 5 minutes of labor. I dont know how my competators do it here in town.

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:33 am

umm intresting thread.. well am a IT User Consultant and i work in the IT department at the University of the South Pacific.. and computers have been my hobby. Am doing my MAsters in Computing Science ..have also done a few certifications. i also do a bit of weight training ..but just to keep my self fit..

i havnt made much addons ..but i have done a lot of adons for WPI for my own use ..i cant upload coz my internet speed is slow at home..i enjoy doing this coz i find it intresting.. i also creat bartpe cd's for fun..

ophiel

Post by ophiel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:04 am

i'm a card dealer, really easy money, but a pretty horrible working environment. nothing harder to do than keep the habit kicked while customers are blowing smoke in your face all night.

first computer i owned was a very nice intel dx2 66 with 16mb of ram. had a 340mb HD and a 17" sony trinitron monitor. that baby cost some dough and was a performance machine.

first modem was a blazing 2400 baud, with which i quickly learned all about piracy rings on local SoCal BBSes. wardialing was of course the thing to do back then, and i found many interesting hosts in the 1-800-555 range ;)

yup, computers were fun back then.

in the future i'd like to study electrical engineering and physics...i know for a fact there's a ton of stuff about electricity and magnetism that we haven't even begun to understand. we're already seeing amazing technology from the marriage of quantum mechanics and classic electrical engineering, but i think there are infinitely broader implications as the two disciplines meet. i want to be around as electrical engineering theory gets updated from the 19th century to 21st.

m-p{3}

Post by m-p{3} » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:41 pm

I am 20 years old, weight 155 lbs, live in Montreal QC, and I am doing my last year in network computer management. I worked at an help desk last summer, and I really enjoyed my time there, doing level 1 and 2 assistance on Windows 2000, Novell Netware and MacOS X. I plan to work there as soon as my studies are done, that would be a good start I guess.

In my spare time I fix computers to get some money, Windows or Linux doesn't matter. I have some knowledge with Novell Netware 6.5 but I don't use it much.

The first computer I got was an old IBM, with a black and white screen, and some DOS games, all on a huge 30 Mb(no typo) hard-drive. The second one was a Pentium 75MHz, with a huge 6 Gb hard-drive and 32 Mb RAM, with a 4 Mb gfx-card. I had a 700MHz with 128 Mb RAM and 40Gb hard-drive, and now I am with a 2.1 Ghz with 512 Mb RAM and 120 Gb hard-drive, and a eVGA GeForce 6800XT. That's amazing how powerful the computers increased in power in such a small time.

In my past experience with building modified Windows XP CDs, I touched a little bit with BartPE, doing my own personal plugins to support more drivers, softwares, etc. Now, I am getting more interested in touching the original XP CD, which seems a lot of people are doing right now thanks to RyanVM, and I'd love to use my knowledge for the benefit of the community. I have made my of Addon for RyanVM which add the Royale theme available for download on the MS website (the one with the "New Bliss.jpg" wallpaper), and I will try to get deeper in more complicated addons.

I think I'll have some fun here, so you might see me more and more on the board from now on.

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:35 am

Well, hold on. I am 6'3 and weigh 142 ibs . (probably because i am a teen and i am still growing). I am super skinny but i do do competative rowing or used to until i hit by some crazy woman driving a bmw but that is another story i will be out of physio in 3 months and back to the regional chamionship rowing :) Skinny is so great because you can just run forever too :) I can run & sprint 9 kilometers without stopping :P 8) BEAT THAT!!

O yeah: i make addons because i get boored late at night and have nothing better to do when all my freinds are asleep. I am also one of those freaks who formats once every 2-3 weeks because i hate antivirus software and having to slow down your system.

O yeah, i am lazy and do not have a job :) I am still in high school :) BAHAHAHAHAH AND I LOVE MOOCHING OFF MY MOM AND DAD!!!

monkee

Post by monkee » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:08 am

bhahaha!
i've found myself in many lines of your stories. i'll mention them in no particular order :D

- i, too, go to gym. a year ago i wanted to dumb my beerbelly. now, beerbelly's gone and i actually have a tiny muscles to show. afterall, a 6ft 6 man needs some meat. let's call it a perfect example of what a regular exercise does to you.
- i am social worker, currently working as a counseller for (mostly) teenage drug addicts and their parents, and teachers and.. on and on.
- my first computer was 386 back in -beat this!- 1996. it had some system files on but mostly dos was working. and some golf game. in 1998 i got my first "serious" computer and win98. a whole new world! i remember what joy it was to reformat and reinstall system all the time. mostly because i was pissed off at the fact that i wanted to make system changes but as soon as something went wrong, i went o_O and gave comp to the "people who are payed to fix computers". so i learned a little. reformated a little more than that....
- ... and so here we are in 2006. since january or february, i said to myself i needed to reformat my xp. but i need and updates. found ryan and his packs. and this is where it all "really" began with experimenting.
- i'm having so many addons (mostly taken down from here) that i had to do the selection of which ones i'm really gonna need on the freshly installed system. it still quite a large list. and still quite a lot things i'd like to include.

fear no monkees, people! ;D
- shock the monkee -

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:10 am

I'm in the US Air Force and have served for over 18yrs. I repair the communications & navigations systems of the RC-135 reconnaissance aircraft. I also fix the back-end (recon operators) on-board computer network ('NIX based). I also write technical manuals for our equipment. The rest is classified.
I'm 6'4", 220 lbs and can run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes (still have a beer-belly though...love that British beer).

My first computer was an Apple I (wood case and all) which we upgraded to an Apple II with 128kb of RAM and an 80-column vid card! :lol:

I build custom PCs on the side for friends/family/coworkers. I've built over 100 PCs so far. Since I haven't built any addon packs yet, I guess that makes me a leecher here eh?

Big props to all the people who actively build and maintain these addon packs. Major time savers.