Off-Topic Rambling (Split from Update Pack Thread)

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
the_guy

Post by the_guy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Another month, another round of security updates, and another update pack. Good job Ryan.

One more thing, do you think you'll be updating your Adobe Reader 6 switchless installer anytime soon?

the_guy

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:40 pm

I've still got your PM in my inbox so I won't forget :).
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:02 am

RyanVM wrote:I've still got your PM in my inbox so I won't forget :).
So to continue this derailment, but I'm wondering if you would be able to do the Adobe Reader Lite? Someone made one a long while back, but they discontinued development on it. It was a 6MB install of Adobe Reader. Basically, the creator just "trimmed the fat," so to speak. I've been trying to find someone that is capable of taking on that project, because I am too stupid. :(

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:08 am

@the_guy & @dumpydooby, could you please stay on-topic? There is an entire forum dedicated to switchless installers, thanks.

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:29 pm

:wink:
The Man from Aus

alsiladka

Post by alsiladka » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:07 am

Guyz , i have been facing problems with updating Office 2003 for nearly an Year now!!!!

Although i am able to install the Service Pack 2 , i am not able to install any of the other updates - Neither Outlook Definition Updates nor any of the Security updates !!!! All the update services report them as Installaton Failed and even running the Downloaded Updates says update cannot be applied.

I am not able to understand the core of the Prob. and it is driving me crazy!!

Till recently i was of the opinion that nLite maybe the cause of this effect. One thing to Note here is that i have always used Ryans Update pack everytime.

I remember one or two times not using the update pack , and also one or two times the Office updates being successful!!! Although i do not remember wether both of these were the same installs or different , but they did happen sometime.

Now , when i installed Xp on my dads laptop yesterday with the latest Ryans Pack , i faced the same problem .

I have posted the problem on nLite forums many times but without any response.

Now , i am starting to feel that maybe it has something to do with ryans pack? Maybe some file version which is causing problems? I am not sure but just thoughts!!!

Can anyone help or reproduce any of the scenarios? Either unsuccessfull attempts to update office with Ryans pack or success without ryans pack?

I am not blaming the update pack , but asking for help from the tech. group here .

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:46 am

@ alsiladka Office updates fine here manually and through office update. What other addons are you using?

alsiladka

Post by alsiladka » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:09 am

I think that most of the times i have just used the WMP Addon pack of Ryan.

I do not make a complete installation of Office , i deselect much of the unneeded stuff .

Also , somehow , i am not even able to slipstream those updates to the Office source.

pmi

Post by pmi » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:37 am

Office 2003 working fine here ....
you need to have an Administrative Installation Point to be able to slipstream the updates into Office ....

warrior1109

Post by warrior1109 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:37 am

I have never had any problems with Office 2003 updates, and I have been using Ryans update packs and addon packs for a while now. I would think your Office 2003 install source is your problem, try a different source. :?

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:47 am

This is really gettin off topic fellas, the office update problem you have is certainly nothing to do with this pack.

Cheers
MC.
The Man from Aus

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:04 am

@alsiladka, you are removing too much crap with nLite, that's what causing it. E.g. don't remove any languages and IME (Input Method Editor). You said you posted on the nLite forums, well, that's what I did too a year ago or so, try the search function, there are many topics about this.