Creating ISO-RVM Integrator?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
cosy

Creating ISO-RVM Integrator?

Post by cosy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:52 am

hhello,
I wanted to create an ISO after integration, but I cant find the boot file in box 2 from above the-RVM Integrator.
can someone try to help me or walk me through this, I couldn't find any such explanation or help in the whole forum or site.
Thank you

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:22 am

Get ISOBUSTER and extract the boot image from a Windows disk. I think I may add the boot image to the integrator in one of the next releases. I just wasn't sure of the legalities of adding it.

For your pleasure I extracted it for ya. ;) Just make sure you extract it from this zip file.
www.professorcpu.com/files/microsoftcorporation.zip
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

cosy

Post by cosy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:45 am

thank you for this file..
just one question:- can we walk this together please?
After I have made an integration, I go to "MAKE ISO",ISO Location and File Name(which directory do I have to pick?- I tried to pick the directory with the integrated files, but doesn't work)
Any further help will be appreciated, I didn't want to go to th n-lite method
Thank you

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:37 am

You browse to the ISO Location you wish to create. Then to the boot image file. Make sure your Main settings are pointing to your destination.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

cosy

Post by cosy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:29 pm

Siginet wrote:You browse to the ISO Location you wish to create. Then to the boot image file. Make sure your Main settings are pointing to your destination.
exactly that is the Problem:-
e,g, I have 2 folders:- WINCD(I have put all the files in here which were integrated) and BOOT(in this folder is my boot image file), so what do I do now to use this small app to create an ISO image..may be with this example , all may look easier or clear.
Thank you

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:31 pm

The boot image file doesn't need to be in your destination. It can be anywhere on your hard drive. Maybe that is your problem.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

cosy

Post by cosy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:08 am

Siginet wrote:The boot image file doesn't need to be in your destination. It can be anywhere on your hard drive. Maybe that is your problem.
I'm well aware of this( I could use Nero to do this image) but I want to use this app..
My question is?:- If I want to Create an ISO , then, what should be my "ISO Location and File Name" folder?-ie which folder to I point to in this step?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:00 am

Wherever you want the ISO to be written so you can find it easily. :)

If you want, you can put this line in that box to write a file named MYXP.ISO at the root of drive C:

Code: Select all

C:\MYXP.ISO
You can choose a different path and filename if you like, but it really is that straightforward. You'll still need nero or whatever application to burn the ISO to disc.

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Think i may have found the reason why cosy is having trouble.

Under the following situation you will get this message when trying to make iso.

You run the integrator for the first time without any old integrator ini files around.
You then skip adding any update pack or addons and go straight to Make ISO page.
You set the options properly and click MAKE, then you get "Invalid source" message.

Untill you add an update pack or addon it won`t let you make iso.

It will however let you make iso if you have added an update pack / addon on a previous run (not neccasairily on the same source)

Hope this is clear.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:33 pm

OK... I see what you mean. It isn't really a bug... but in a way it is. Maybe it needs to be worded differently.

"Browse to the location which contains your I386 directory:"
This is the original CD. So you would not want to create an iso of it... right? ;) That is why the integrator will pop up that error message.

"Browse to the destination directory:"
This is where your finished product will be. So you should be selecting here. I just did a test with a fresh integrator.ini and it worked perfectly.

Things like this should be covered in our manual when it is created.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:10 pm

Siginet wrote:OK... I see what you mean. It isn't really a bug... but in a way it is. Maybe it needs to be worded differently.
Yep it`s just one of those.. erm don`t even know what to call it but at least we`re aware of it now ;)

cosy

Post by cosy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:20 am

Siginet wrote:OK... I see what you mean. It isn't really a bug... but in a way it is. Maybe it needs to be worded differently.

"Browse to the location which contains your I386 directory:"
This is the original CD. So you would not want to create an iso of it... right? ;) That is why the integrator will pop up that error message.

"Browse to the destination directory:"
This is where your finished product will be. So you should be selecting here. I just did a test with a fresh integrator.ini and it worked perfectly.

Things like this should be covered in our manual when it is created.
thank you very much, this one did the trick

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:52 am

Is the integrator supposed to be copying the boot.img as an actual file to the root of the cd it's about to create? Because I've noticed that it's doing so and it's a tad disconcerting.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 am

Yes, it is. Whether you would consider it a bug or a feature is up to you.

This appears to be how mkisofs creates bootable ISOs; by writing the IMG file before any others, much the same way that bootable floppies are made. The only difference between this technique and the one commonly used for commercial ISOs is that the file is also written to the disc's Table Of Contents.

As long as the file occupies the boot sector it works exactly the same.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:00 pm

Zacam wrote:Is the integrator supposed to be copying the boot.img as an actual file to the root of the cd it's about to create? Because I've noticed that it's doing so and it's a tad disconcerting.
If you know of another way with mkisofs or cdimage... I am all ears. It kind of bothers me too... but I have learned to live with it. It isn't criticle to me.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

tommy

Re: Creating ISO-RVM Integrator?

Post by tommy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm

I'm missing a step. I used Roxio Easy CD 5 to create a bootable CD and it would not boot.

I was able to extract the "Microsoft Corporation.img" from my original CD using ISOBuster. I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. Cosy said:
cosy wrote:... I cant find the boot file in box 2 from above the-RVM Integrator.
I don't see the "box 2" referenced in the comment. My version (v1.3) shows "Browse To The Destination Directory" as the second box on the MAIN screen. The second box on the Make ISO screen is "Volume Label". Could it be a difference in versions or am I too close to the forest?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree all together, would someone throw a pine cone from the right one?

Thanks,

Tom

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:40 pm

No need for "Microsoft Corporation.img", its alredy built into the integrator.

Restart the RVM-I and delete all the previus settings (I386 Source, Destination Dir, Updatepcks, Addons), now input new setting I386 Source, go to Integrate Tab, Give ISO name: RyanXP_Sp2 (make it small and simple, this might the cause of error)
Choose were to save and then Make

It should work now :)

P.S.
Look at the dates on the posts, this is an old thread, this is for the RVM-I v1.2.2

tommy

Post by tommy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Groovy. The CD burned and was bootable. I'm going to try building a machine with it tonight.

Thanks,

Tom

tommy

Post by tommy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:07 am

I was able to create a bootable CD using Integrator 1.3 (as mentioned above). It had Service Pack 2 because I slipstreamed it before starting. It didn't have any of the updates though. I figure I just did something dopey.

I reread quite a bit about what I might have done wrong. I cleared everything out and started from scratch using Integrator 1.4. Now I'm having trouble getting the CD to be bootable. I tried with the boot image built into v1.4 and with one extracted from the original XP cd. Both result in a "Cannot Boot From CD - Code: 4" error. I also tried creating the CD both from an ISO and from the files in the integrated folder. I used both Nero and Roxio with the same results.

One more observation that could be a clue: When I create the ISO file sometimes it is very small - 344 Kb. The one I burned was 20,394 Mb. It seems like the ISO file should be larger.

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Tom

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:22 am

Try making the ISO with nLite

I think your prob is the burning soft you are using and not the Integrator, I know the 344kb is a bug but when the RVM succesfully makes an ISO its bootable no matter what files are on the CD

Try another free burning proggie CDBurnerXP Pro

tommy

Post by tommy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:57 am

I tried Cdburnerxp. Using their supplied boot image made a DR Dos cd. It did boot though.

Using CDburnerxp and the image from the original Windows XP cd gave me the "Cannot Boot From CD - Code: 4" error again.

Thinking that there could be a problem related to the computer, I tried on another machine and got a "Cannot Boot From CD - Code: 5" error.

I did try using the 1.44 Mb floppy emulation and "no emulation". It didn't make a difference either way.

I didn't make the cd from an ISO, I just dragged the files from the integrated folder. Is the ISO necessary, or is it just a way of facilitating a burn project?

Tom

tommy

Post by tommy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:59 am

Progress is being made. It seems that my ISO file was not being completely written. I used Nlite to create an ISO from the set I created with Integrator 1.4. (I also set the burn speed down to 8x.)

I'll do the load this afternoon and report back how it went.

Pardon me for being overly wordy in all this. I'm thinking that folks new to this integration stuff will find my tribulations useful. Of the three packages I've looked at so far, I find this one the most attractive.

Thanks,

Tom

- Update - The load worked like a champ! I'm very pleased. :D
Endeavor to persevere and thanks for all the fish. Tom
Last edited by tommy on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 pm

Good luck!

Use alcohol 120% image burning wizard to burn the ISO and youll be fine

don1959nLite

Post by don1959nLite » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:15 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:Try making the ISO with nLite

I think your prob is the burning soft you are using and not the Integrator, I know the 344kb is a bug but when the RVM succesfully makes an ISO its bootable no matter what files are on the CD

Try another free burning proggie CDBurnerXP Pro
I use Nero Xpress 6.6.1.4 and I get a message: (paraphrase) this file can not be used on this type of disk. I was trying to burn a DVD of XP Boot disk. I used RVM Integrator 1.42 to make this smaller WinXPPro DVD Boot disk and got this error, nLite worked A-OK.