The hazards of computing

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
RogueSpear

The hazards of computing

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:25 pm

In the event anyone has wondered about my low profile lately, there's a reason. I've finally succumbed to repetitive use injury. I've been using a computer for several hours a day since I was 13 years old. I'm closing in on 37 now. Combine that with 20 years of on again off again intense heavy weight training and my wrists are shot to hell. I finally hit a wall a little more than a week ago to the point that I had to leave work and go see the Doctor.

Doc said I have a pretty good case of tendinitis in my right ulna and the start of carpal tunnel. Even with the splint that I have to wear for a couple of months now, I just can't use my right hand for typing or using any sort of pointing device (I've tried them all). So I'm mousing around with my left hand now which isn't as bad as it sounds since I'm a southpaw anyhow. But when you have one hand to mouse and type with, and you're a bit shaky with mouth in that hand to begin with. Well it's not too good for productivity.

I'm at the point where if I can't fully recover it could mean permanent disability as far as my job too. Even though I sit at a desk all day long, I still need to qualify four times a year. And I couldn't even dream of firing off 50 rounds the way I am now. Anyway, I'll still be around, just not so active. I'm going to start fooling around with Dragon NS and see if that helps.

Let this be a warning to all of you younger people out there. Be smart in your working environment and take care of yourself.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 pm

Wow that sucks real bad hunny child. All the warnings we ignored as youngsters come back to bite us in the butt eventually. The hazards of computing for me have been terrible decline in my eyesight :(

Anyhoo, drag out the ole headset and let's voice chat instead. I'll cheer y'all up with some sheep jokes ;)

aman74

Post by aman74 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've been having some pain myself lately and I'm quite concerned. Not insured right now so I'm hoping to be able to correct my computer environment and see how that goes.

If you are able to, could you PM me? I need some advice on what actions to take and was wondering what works for you.

cosy

Post by cosy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:01 pm

hmm, it is a shame.
That reminds me of ""all my life i wanted a computer, now all i want is my life back"
Hope U can get over this and wish you a quick recovery

Crypton

Post by Crypton » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:06 pm

that sucks m8, I can somewhat relate, not as bad as you atm, but been using a pc since i was pretty young, you have about 10 year on me though, im 27 atm.

Not sure if you use anything for the pc to help with the problem, but if you have not already you can try some Ergonomic stuff such as Keyboard and Gel wrist rest.

http://www.verbatim.com.au/products.cfm?productID=41809
http://www.keysan.com/ksu0a27.htm
http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergo.htm

I have a friend who has carpo tunnel syndrom and tendanitus and he uses these things and says it helps alot. While it wont cure you, it will allow you to possibly be on more without the massive discomfort. He still has to take breaks and do some exercises and such otherwise his wrists and such wil swell up.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about this, I do not know you, but I wish you the best of luck and hope your able to get relieved of pain. And cheers for the addon packs you have done! Been enjoying them quiet a bit :)

// Crypt

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Post by Bâshrat the Sneaky » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:46 am

Damn! :shock:

I really hope you'll be able to make a full recovery!

I know there does exist a one-handed keyboard, that even claims to be more productive once you're used to it. I found it: http://www.frogpad.com/frogpad.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:23 am

I recently found out that I have 2 bulgeing disks in my neck that are pinching a nerve that is sending numbness and tingleing down my left arm. :( Doc says I have degenerative spine disease in my neck. Which really suxx... cause I allready knew I had the same thing in my back too. :( Soon I am suppose to find out if I will need surgery. Which... pretty much sounds like what is gonna be needed. The doctors say that the computer could have played a serious part in it.

So you're not alone Rogue. I'm sure there is a lot of us. Take care of yourself my friend. I'm only 28... and the doctors say I have the spine of a 60yr old. :( So I am trying my best to take care of myself as well.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Fabio

Repetitive Stress Injuries

Post by Fabio » Sun May 07, 2006 10:48 am

There are stories of video game players who died from pulmonary embolus during prolonged immobility.

I recommend changing user interface, touch pad, voice recognition, height of keyboard and mouse, changing sports.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Sun May 07, 2006 12:52 pm

That's terrible, hope you recover soon.

I've been hearing about these injuries from prolonged use of computers, I found that it really helps when doing very time-consuming work, to get up, walk around a couple of rooms, do some basic exercise with your wrists (gentle movement in all directions)...

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed May 10, 2006 12:08 pm

Well the doc said I'm going to need surgery on at least my right hand and wrist. It's more than just the carpal tunnel. I guess there's also compression of the ulnar nerve. I guess this will be a good time to read books lol

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

Sorry to hear that rogue, shame too as your a darn good repackager! LOL.

RE: Dragon NS. I got some reasonable results with it when I stretched 3 of my right hand tendons and bruised the others ($£%^ thoes first person shooters and C&C.....oh and i was about 18 at the time, now i just have arthritis in my finger joints at 27!!!!!). I think the reason it wasnt' as perfect as it needed to be for my liking was due to the 3 hour training I had already put into it and that it still needed more (scottish accents and voice recognition dont' go!). But I wish you all the best :)

Peace out.
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 am

Well it looks like no surgury for me. They want it to get worse lol. I knew I should have gone to see Dr. Summeroff.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:03 am

Image Image

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:09 am

RogueSpear wrote:Well it looks like no surgury for me. They want it to get worse lol. I knew I should have gone to see Dr. Summeroff.
sux0r :(
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357