French/DRM Court Case

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
corpseslayer

French/DRM Court Case

Post by corpseslayer » Thu May 11, 2006 9:32 am

Is anyone else watching this with baited breath?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/26/french_drm_non/

'.....invoke the European Copyright Directive in France, which outlaws machinery that enables such 'circumvention' of locked media' ...... which circumvents the clause in the 1988 copyright act regaurding your 'one legal backup'.

I dont' know about you but I'ts bugging me that some suit in Brussles can tell me that i cant' copy a DVD that my kids will melt chocolate on, throw like a frizbee then drop in some dog sh!t to protect MY investment.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu May 11, 2006 9:55 am

But that's how Disney makes it's money: by forcing people to buy rehashed versions of their classics every couple years. :evil:

Having young children in the house more often than not, I agree with you.

I've been following this at ars as well.

pyr8

Post by pyr8 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:49 pm

thanks you to treat this subjet on the board
i'm french and this law is real a nightmare, the only "good" thing in the project law will not be vote, this is the possibility to use (or to heard) the sound (for example) you buy everywhere or without any compatibility or copyright protection problem
i hope you understand my "english" and i don't pretend to know everything on this law but for the few i understand i didn't aprouve
your arguments, corpseslayer are good, this realy an injustice about individual property
i hope that projects like VIDEOLAN will continue because soon videolan menber project will assume 30000 euros of sanction and 6 moths of jail
a man say about this law : "it's like if the gouvernment prohib to sell cars because they will be use like convey ram or in other crime
sorry for my english