Satans Spawn AKA WGA

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
corpseslayer

Satans Spawn AKA WGA

Post by corpseslayer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:10 am

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Case any of you missed these articles

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=17380

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=17390

MS's new WGA calls back to MS DAILY to inform uses who are continually running the WGA 'victim of software counterfitting'. And claim it's still optional.... if it's optional why the hell does it install as Malicious Spyware Removal Tool? Why does it show as a critical update?

Optional My ass.....

DO MS Seriously think they will make that much more money when the people pissed off with WGA jump to linux? They even claim the reason it has 'false positives' is because the comapany has leaked their serial key! Have these people NEVER heard of a key generator?

Bloody morons.

If they push WGA they should be FORCED to stop the 'reactivation' when you change your PC's hardware. But like in most cases the governments have been passed a brown bag of cash from the Redmond estate and are more intend on world oil domination than on caring for their people's rights in the land with which they rule.
Last edited by corpseslayer on Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 am

....riiiiiiiight
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:54 am

It's probably time to just come to terms with how things are and will be. If you want to use Microsoft's products, you're going to be their bitch. I don't the courts intervening with a company protecting their product and I certainly don't see WGA sending people to Linux in droves.

At this point I've reduced my usage of non-free MS software to XP, Visual Studio, and their server operating systems. No Office, no ISA, no MOM, and I'm preparing to migrate from Exchange 2000 to Gmail Hosted.

If Linux were somehow feasible, I'd have already gone that route.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:04 am

I'm probably going to experiment with Linux on my laptop over the summer
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

techtype

Post by techtype » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 am

I always considered complaints about WGA as just a "Pirate's Lament". However, I've had an experince with WGA notifications that causes me a lot of grief. All my machines have never had any problem with plain WGA and all but one have no problem with WGA notifications. Of course that one is my wife's machine. The damm WGA notifications will not install correctly. (Yes, I've tried all the fixes Microsoft suggests - permissions, WGA diagnostics, etc.) Nevertheless on each boot an empty message box appears before Windows with just an OK button. Click OK and the computer seems to start normally but is prone to crash. Delete wgatray and wgalogon and clean the registry and all is normal. WTF!!!!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:53 am

That's the problem, the was from what I can see, a quite limited testing phase of this spyware. So we're all in effect beta testing it. I still am not convinced the problems with SAV 10.1 hanging a system didn't have something to do with WGA somehow.

But like I said, it's here and it's permanent.

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:01 pm

I agree that a shitload of pirates will be a tad pissed with WGA. But my reasons for hating activation/wga are not about bootleg copies. All my XP's are fine, I just don't wnat to add more 0's to Mr Gates bank account because he can sell the information he recieves when we activate and reactivate windows becasue his program knows exactly which hardware (based of the key it generates) that I am running.

I also believe since linux is getting 'more out the box' (SUSE or Ubuntu mainly, and ubuntu has p2p as standard :) ) you may see people moving to it. But hard core pirates as just going to turn off auto update, wait for service pack rollouts or patch rollouts that the cracking groups will provide. Its genuine people with false positives that will leave MS in droves. Regaurding cracked updates and patches has anyone seen the ones for Civilisation 4? or Dungeon Siege 2? Both had cracked updtaes avaliable just as easily.

They said the Xbox 360 was hackproof. - Wrong Firmware and Modchip now avaliable
They said Activation would stop piracy - Wrong, didn't even put a dent in the bootleggers cash flow.
Sony also said the PSP firmware since 2.0 was 'Exploitless' and there was 'no space for a modchip' (Which was released today) and have also been proven wrong. Where this is a will to do something, there is a way to do it.

I agree with rogue, i feel like ms's bitch taking it clean up the @ss with s 16 inch spiked concrete dildo and all I can really do is scream but no one will care :(

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:56 pm

RogueSpear wrote:It's probably time to just come to terms with how things are and will be. If you want to use Microsoft's products, you're going to be their bitch. I don't the courts intervening with a company protecting their product and I certainly don't see WGA sending people to Linux in droves.
The people don't necessarily expect the courts to back them up. This really reminds me of SP1's method of CD key recognition. When they first released SP1, their method of verification was different from the original method (presumably had a "white list" which wasn't all-inclusive of legitimate keys, thus requiring users to call MS and retrieve a new legitimate key), or so the story goes. Supposedly, the uproar by the people was enough for competitors and professionals in the market to say, "Hey Microsoft, what you're doing is irresponsible." And that claim was on the grounds that they were preventing their people from recieving updates, thus perpetuating and accelerating the transfer and infections of viruses and exploitations of other security risks.

And now that I'm hearing legitimate customers are having the same complaints about WGA, I wonder how long it will be before a large company loses important data because of something that would have been prevented by being able to install the latest and greatest security updates.

From a personal standpoint, however, I really don't care either way. I'm certainly not afraid of security risks, and I will always be able to get around WGA (if it's ever in my way, that is).

@corpse:
The PSP modchip was released last week, actually. ;)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:20 pm

There's other issues for me with this WGA thing. As most of you know I work in a government environment. Contrary to popular belief, not all governmental agencies operate fast and easy with their budget. My office somewhat resembles a Sanford & Son type of atmosphere where I'm constantly cannibalizing parts from busted machines to get other machines operational. Anyway, the point is that I have plenty of older (like 8 years old) computers jacked up to a gig of RAM running XP. Once the OS is loaded they're good to go, but boot up time is barely tolerable. I have done everything possible to shorten boot time. And now Microsoft wants to add a little something extra to my bootup sequence. Great.

Another issue is that we're insanely bandwidth challenged. I've been waiting for a couple of years now for the central arm of our local government to make good on it's promise of a direct fiber connection that will give us the equivalent of a T3 connection. So I haven't taken any action to increase our current bandwidth. So now three times a day at shift change I have roughly 100 computers rebooting within 30 minutes of each other and all of them are WGA checking? Great again.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:23 pm

What I hate.. is the activation process period. WGA I can kind of live with cause it don't bother me (much) since I don't use (much) Pirated copies of XP.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:14 pm

Well you can add me to the list of people who would love to drop a 1,000,000 megaton hydrogen bomb on Redmond. My VLK at work is suddenly popping up as non-genuine on those computers that have it. Microsoft has no idea why and no solution other than to disable it.

EDIT: btw, this is probably the first time I have used the word "fucking" during a support call.

EDIT2: This just keeps getting better and better. I just got a call from Microsoft. The guy said to reboot all of my computers that were showing not genuine. Like, magic, they're all genuine now :shock: He offered no explanation and declined to give one. In fact he pretty much hung up the phone on me once he determined everything was ok here.

techtype

Post by techtype » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:47 pm

By the way, the problem with my wife's computer (described above) turned out to be a permissions issue, but not the ones suggested by Microsoft. I reset all the permissions to the defaults (even though they had never been messed with). Then WGA Notifivations would install properly. Microsoft was no help -- had to solve it on my own.

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:13 pm

My 2 cents:

A hacker (or anyone for that matter) can find a hacked LegitCheckControl.dll file ANYWHERE on the net. Hell, there's one out that will prevent WGA from updating itself until v8.*.*. That's pretty lame protection.

A legit user like myself though has jumped through hoops to get my copies of Windows XP to validate. I still remember what one Microsoft representative told me when I said that using the hacked file makes my computer/WGA work prefectly...
Well, if that way works for you, continue to use it until Windows Genuine Advantage comes out of beta testing. By then, hopefully, the issue you are seeing will be fixed.
Sad really, really sad.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Believe me, I have no crisis of conscious in using a hacked legitcheck for my own computer (which is legit) if that's what it would take to get things working properly. But to distribute that to over one hundred computers at a police department is not something I'm willing to do. I'm quite aware of the underground scene and what it has to offer. In fact going back to the days of the Apple II / Atari 800 :P

In the end, using anything that could land you in legal jeopardy is not a solution to the problem. On a side note - in case anyone hasn't noticed, it appears to me as though Microsoft is building in the ability to disable computers virtually at will. I discovered a file on my hard disk called WGANotify.settings. I'm not sure if this is a file that Microsoft would rather you not see or what.. but the contents of what I found are as follows:

Code: Select all

Show notification for every 1 logins
DaysBeforeBuyNow Unactivated = 31
DaysBeforeBuyNow Nongenuine = 14
Server DisableAll = false
Server DisableVLKID = true
Server DisableGetSP2 = false
User ReducedReminders = false
User ReducedVLKID = false
User ReducedGetSP2 = false
BalloonInterval = 2 hours
BalloonIntervalVLKID = 24 hours
BalloonIntervalGetSP2 = 504 hours
Not sure 100% what all of it means, but it doesn't look to promising.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:08 pm

I'm just waiting for non-wga updates to begin requiring WGA to be present before they'll work. Or worse, integrating a WGA-Dependant hotfix on a source with no WGA leads to a non working system.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:17 pm

This is all really a beta test for Office Genuine Advantge. Coming soon...

Denney

Post by Denney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:32 pm

I have a feeling that WGA will eventually be like what activation is... after so many days of being ungenuine or unactivated it'll lock you out of your computer until you pay for a genuine license... *shivers at the thought*

If they can't get all their legit users to validate properly WITHOUT telling them to use a hacked WGA, they have no hope of doing well in the future.

I think the only reason they're testing this with unsuspecting Windows XP users is so they can be sure they get it right for when they include it in Windows Vista... If they just did a limited beta test then they wouldn't know half the problems WGA is having (just take a look at why v2.0.7 is delayed!).

Just give up on WGA Microsoft! It's not the correct way to control piracy!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:37 pm

Well OGA is already in testing in some countries in Europe. And I noticed when I went to download an Outlook 2003 addon, they now have an optional OGA check. Kind of like when WGA checks for downloading used to be optional. I would not doubt that this shows up in every server product they have. Office I can almost understand since that's where Microsoft makes most of their money.

techtype

Post by techtype » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:57 am

WGA Notifications already checks Office but does not do anything yet if it fails. You can see what it thinks the validity of your Office is by running WGAdiagnostics. Look for the Office return code -- only "100" means genuine.

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:37 pm

It solved my legitimacy problem. My legitimate windows XP and Office 2k3 box just became a Ubuntu 6.06 and OpenOffice box...... Can you see me updating to vista?

and the survey says..... EEETTTT EEEETTTTT.
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:52 pm

I wish I could join you, but I'm afraid that I'll be needing support Windows for years to come. The best I can do is to make sure Windows is the only software from Microsoft that is purchased.

I'm about half way to having my main work site converted to OOo and I already have my largest client (about 35 desktops) completely migrated.

Next up. Finding a suitable open source antivirus solution.

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:08 am

I hate linux with a vengence. I always considered it as a operating system for geeks or pedophiles. But I work for Sun Microsystems (ever heard of them? LOL) and they use Solaris (....>Since it's 'their' linux) between that and the WGA thing i was liek 'fuck it'. The ONLY thing that MAY force me back is that I have a wireless LAN and (the reason i am using Ubuntu and not SUSE like my initial posts) my drivers will install but sit there doing nothing like they are retarded. Btu If i could go back to a cabled network it would be perfect for me.
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

Plasma

Post by Plasma » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Hey folks,

This is slightly off topic but is WGA related so figured I'd ask away!

I created an Unattended XP CD with nLite, using the RyanVM update pack 2.0.6. When creating the CD I removed stacks of stuff including Internet Explorer (I left the IE Core intact). Anyways .. I have Firefox 1.0.5.4 as the default browser, when going to get certain things at M$ I'm required to validate. So I get the Firefox WGAplugin.exe and expect every thing to be ok .. nope ... when I run it I get ..

"Installation information data unavailable"

I've googled this and get one reply, which is someone with the same problem as me and no cure! :(

Now the problem I have is the key I am licenced with is a genuine one, and does pass WGA. Can anyone suggest a way I can get the WGA Plugin to install properly? It used to work without IE installed but something mush have changed. If someone could give me some pointers before I chuck the machine out of the window, that would be great!

Cheers

Plasma
The largest hole in any computer system is the empty space inside the users head!

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:50 am

techtype

Post by techtype » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:28 pm

Well, the latest version of WGA Notifications trashed my wife's machine again. I had hoped the problem was gone after I got the previous version working. Had to image her machine back to right before the WGA Notifications install to fix this one. Now, I'm going to avoid WGA Notifications completely until I get a chance to do a fresh install on her machine and rebuild her stuff. Some weird sh*t!

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:52 pm

For thoes who care, WGA is now live, no longer beta.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:39 pm

This is an informative topic, posting this here:
More confirmation: WGA to be baked into Vista
Some kind of out-dated but must see.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:24 am

well, VMWare Server (free) makes a greate base to run other systems on.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:56 pm

aha ! :?:
newsposter wrote:well, VMWare Server (free) makes a greate base to run other systems on.
That was not about wga :?

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:12 pm

Half the posts in this thread don't explicitly apply to wga.

Folks were saying that WGA is going to prompt them to use systems other than MSFT. I was pointing out one such alternative.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:23 pm

ok newsposter, I thought you wanted to criticize me about my post, my bad. Sorry. :oops:

So, here are useful links for free virtualizations (maybe someone needs :lol:),

Download VMware Server: http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
Microsoft Virtual PC 2004: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:50 pm

Looks like WGA Notifications went to 1.0...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

I'm not sure why they updated it since it's no longer needed to receive updates via MU (although WGA is), but maybe they are pushing WGA Notifications back in the race? :shock:

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 pm

It contains files with version 1.5.560.0. The latest build I have is 1.5.716.0. Thats sth interesting.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Same old, same old, try deleting LegitCheckControl.dll and then have it reinstalled by MU...