Microsoft says it can break the Intarweb

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
5eraph
Site Admin

Microsoft says it can break the Intarweb

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:43 am

Hubris or truth?
We are pumping out bits as fast as we can. If we pushed out bits any faster there would be a measureable impact for the Internet. So, we are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any further there's a possibilty of taking down the Internet - people might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc. That would be bad. So, it isn't that we weren't anticipating demand - we were and are - it is that we are at the threshold of what the Internet can bear.
Link: Longhorn Blogs - Vista Beta 2 Biggest Download Event In History

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:20 pm

I personally doubt that if they pumped out quicker the internet would come down. The impact of people watching the world cup game would only happen if they were downloading windows vista. Really, the only limitation on the internet is how fast light can travel and electricity can more through wires. they just do not want everyone to have a free os lol. If you need a copy of win vista, i have two serials good for 10 comps ea and u can pm me. They never said that the serial cant have more than one owner. And if they try to say that we have an organization together :)

Ciao,

The creator

Xable

Post by Xable » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:55 am

so basicly it`s cheaper for them to send out DVD`s than it is to pay for extra bandwidth.. i imagine.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:57 am

Yeah right. People download stuff like crazy on the internet. Why would the beta of longhorn take down the internet? ... Bull$hit!

I'm sure there is more people downloading W@rez then people downloading Vista.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Denney

Post by Denney » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:09 am

Just take a look at the Internet Traffic Report (http://www.internettrafficreport.com/). Barely even makes a DINT in internet traffic.

They're just smokin' the usual stuff before a press release. They just want people to buy the DVD so they can make some more money without spending it on bandwidth. Case in point is their REFUSAL to let Vista be downloaded via a torrent.

That's how I managed to get it the day it came out. I'm still trying to download it via their website just to see how long it'd take.