Advice creating a new slipstreamed WinXP SP2 CD

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Bazza

Advice creating a new slipstreamed WinXP SP2 CD

Post by Bazza » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:19 pm

Howdy all,

Firstly, I really want to give a big thankyou to RyanVM, Kelsenellenelvian, Boooggy, Siginet, et. el. for their work in creating these addons, etc.

I'm about to rebuild my home PC & want to create a up-todate WinXP Pro SP2 install CD. I've done this once before about 6 months ago for a friends laptop that was riddled with spyware & virii. Not to mention a HDD failure (fixed by SpinRite). Back then I used nLite to do everything but I read here that RC8 has a few bugs.

Therefore, my plan is to:

1. Use RyanVM's Integrator to slipsteam post SP2 fixes, addons & switchless installers,
2. nLite v1.0 RC8 for component removal (only some minor ones) & registry hacks,
3. Slipsteam Bâshrat Driverpacks,
4. create ISO & burn CD

Am I doing the above in the correct order? Are there any steps that I missed?

Rather than use nLite for component removal would I be better to use the removal addons within the Integrator, listed
here: viewtopic.php?t=1769

Cheers
Bazza...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:28 pm

Your order is correct as long as Service Pack 2 is already slipstreamed into your source. If not, slipstreaming SP2 comes first.

I can't speak for component removal; I find it safer to prevent unwanted components from installing through WINNT.SIF, but my goal is not to shrink the source. You may have to if you want to use the DriverPacks on a CD. I use DVD-RWs so space is not an issue for me.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:54 pm

5eraph,

Thanks for the confirmation. I had read/searched various forums so I was reasonably sure I had the order correct.

My WinXP Pro source CD includes SP2.

I also use WINNT.SIF as well; that's step 3b above, however, actually removing some components prevents some dirs from being created, eg. msn gaming zone, messenger, that can't be deleted later.

I haven't used the DriverPacks before so the size of the ISO was a potential concern.

As for using a DVD, instead of a CD ... I have a DVD burner. Can I simply burn the ISO to a bootable DVD or do I need to "special" ... previously I've used CDIMAGE from the MSFN site to burn the CD.

Cheers
Bazza...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:06 pm

Part of the DriverPacks' slipstreaming process is changing certain entries in WINNT.SIF. You should have your WINNT.SIF finalized before using the DPs.

Creating and burning a bootable ISO for DVD is no different than it is for CD. Nothing special is necessary. The only difference is what you put in your burner. :)

bober

Post by bober » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:08 pm

is running ryan's updates first ,the correct procedure? i have been running nlite first,then ryan's, and lastly driver packs.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 pm

You can use nLite to slipstream SP2, but do nothing else with nLite until after you apply an Update Pack.

Also, never use nLite after slipstreaming the DriverPacks.

A more complete process is described here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/...entry444435