Installing Cab/Addon packs...in windows?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
aeoth

Installing Cab/Addon packs...in windows?

Post by aeoth » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:40 am

Rather than reintergrating/redownloading a couple of patches I have, is there anyway to install addons (as in, addons found on this site) INSIDE windows?

Moe5508

Post by Moe5508 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:43 am

I'm also looking for a solution that allows me to directly install the update packs in an already installed (running) WinXP machine without slipstreaming and then having to re-install (or install a new one) WinXP on my machine.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:06 am

The Update Packs and Addons on this site are not designed to be installed on a preexisting Windows installation.

I'm guessing that it is possible to Repair an existing Windows installation (from TextMode Setup) with an updated source as long as WINNT.SIF is not used. This should preserve any installed programs, settings, and installed device drivers. Don't quote me on that, though; I've never tried it and I can't be held responsible for unrecoverable installations/data.

It's possible to reverse engineer some Addons to be installed from within Windows. The only ones I've ever had any success with do not involve copying files/directories, only when applying registry entries or registering DLLs/OCXs.

Switchless installers can, of course, be installed from within Windows.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:16 am

Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:52 pm

The Updatepacks is very different than most addons and it would be really hard to "install" them. Addonpacks on the otherhand is real easy to install (with exceptions!) I do it all the time to check that the files/regs are applied correctly.

This is what you have to do to install an Addon-pack from Windos(not switchless):
  1. Extract the downloaded Addon cab file (soon 7zips ;)) with something like cabarc, 7zip or WinRAR. It will most likely consist of one ini one inf and one cab file.
  2. Ignore/delete the (entries)*.ini file and leave the newly extracted *.cab file alone, only expand the *.in_ and open the inf up.
  3. In the begining of the file look for a section ([]) called [DefaultInstall] this is the section the inf will parse from the context menu option "install". If no such section exist copy/rename the whole section defined by [OC] to a new [DefaultInstall].
  4. Install the inf. If asked to browse for files point it to the cab you left alone (if thats where they are..).
  5. Finally just to make a possible inf uninstall work copy the inf file to "%windir%\inf". That's it, almost all the addons can be installed from within windows this way.
Hope it helps.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:04 pm

thank you Aserone, i didnt know this till now.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:18 pm

5eraph wrote:Repair an existing Windows installation (from TextMode Setup)
I know its off topic but I tried to repair my Windows Xp Instlation (I have DPs and Ryans UpdatePacks Slipstreamed)

Got an ERROR saying SP2.cab is courrupted.

There was nothing wrong with the CD or XP, did a clean install with the same CD and it worked fine, just the repair install failed.

Has anybody tried a Repair install after Slipstreaming Ryans?

Is it possible to repair XP or does the Slipstreaming change the XP CD in a way so that, the option is no longer available.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:32 pm

ricktendo64 wrote:Got an ERROR saying SP2.cab is courrupted.
How did you integrate the Update Pack?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:49 pm

sp2.cab is not present on a RyanVM update pack slipstreamed. cos its extracted then repackaged into driver.cab. maybe this explains why you got that error. but i dont know why it needed sp2.cab, as entries in dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif are deleted for it...

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:52 pm

thanx for the info guys

5eraph I used RVM Integrator there is none better