LCD monitors

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Aussie

LCD monitors

Post by Aussie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:45 am

Recently had a BenQ LCD monitor die only 18 months after purchasing it (hopefully it will be repaired under warranty). In the meantime, I'm thinking of purchasing a Samsung LCD.
Can anyone recommend this particular brand....... ?

Edit : To all the Queenslanders that visit this site....we sure kicked some NSW ass to win the State of Origin series.....despite the lousy efforts of the Ref and the Video Ref.

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Truthfully, I got a 'white' brand. Its not labeled or anything and i've had it for about 2 years. .... Sometiems it's all down to luck. That said i haev heard bad things abotu Samsung LCD TV's from one of their ex support staff....
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

T D

Post by T D » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I use an Acer TFT AL9254 and it works perfectly. But it's been discontinued :(

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:54 am

I still don't much care for LCD's. At the moment, they exceed my budget for what I would want.

So instead I have 2 giant 21" (viewable) Diamondtron 2020u's connected via BNC, supporting up to 1800x1440 apiece. All because people with pocketbooks bigger than mine (or more willingness to incur debt) decided they wanted smaller desks or more desk space on said smaller desk, instead of building one proper.

Response time? We don't need no stinkin response time! :)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:46 am

LOL, I agree, Zacam. I've had a few 21"s and love my current ViewSonic. Once you get used to your desktop at 1920x1440 it's hard to look at anything else the same. Makes me wonder how I got anything done before.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:54 am

*chuckles* Indeed. When I really get on a roll, I have so many apps and windows open that trying to track them all (especially if I'm using a diff system to track things) it can be a pain under limited space of a smaller rez.

For a while (before I got the second monitor) I was even running VirtuaWin to increase the amount of available desktops.

Oooooo......wonder what that would look like now.......

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:15 am

I purchased a Viewsonic VP2030B yesterday from:

http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.ph ... ts_id=2821

This is my 1st LCD & it's FANTASTIC. Well worth the extra money.

But nothing is perfect:

It's very, very slow to recognise a video signal when the PC is turned on. Using the supplied DVI-I cable the screen would often stay blank until the WinXP desktop appears. Fix...buy a quality dual link DVI-D cable; assuming your video card supports it, otherwise a quality single link DVI-D cable.

I also had a problem with the stand not sitting on the desk correctly. Fixed by using a sharp knife to trim 2 of the rubber pads and some miracle grip (rubber non-slip matting).

Bazza...