Addon makers please read

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
HiDefHusker

Addon makers please read

Post by HiDefHusker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:31 am

To make some application installations go better, you need to have the TEMP environment variable defined. Unfortunately, TEMP is not defined by default at T-13. I figured out a simple way to make that happen. Here is my entries_ZoneAlarm.ini as an example (ignore the line wraps in HIVESYS.AddReg).

This prevents the ZoneAlarm installer from generating an error. Also, many installers don't clean up after themselves so this leaves a bunch of garbage files in the "Default User" directory. This directory is used to create all other user profiles and so they also get the garbage.

Even though this only needs to be defined in just one addon to be effective for all, I've added this to all of my addon packs (which I plan to start posting soon). nLite and RVMIntegrator appear to dedupe these entries before adding them to HIVESYS.INF.

Code: Select all

;Made by HiDefHusker
[general]
builddate=2006/07/03
description=ZoneAlarm
language=English
title=ZoneAlarm
version=6.5.722.000
website=http://www.zonealarm.com/

[EditFile]
I386\HIVESYS.INF,AddReg,HIVESYS.AddReg
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,SVCPACK.AddProgram

[HIVESYS.AddReg]
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%%SystemRoot%%\TEMP"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%%SystemRoot%%\TEMP"

[SVCPACK.AddProgram]
zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe /s /noreboot
Hopefully this hasn't been posted before. If it has, I did this research independently. :D

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:21 am

Very nice find.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:04 pm

@ Zacam, should we integrate those "[HIVESYS.AddReg] "entries in our addons, are they neeed for exe files or should be used with others (theme addons, etc.)?

and thanx HiDefHusker for sharing

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:46 pm

MrNxDmx wrote:@ Zacam, should we integrate those "[HIVESYS.AddReg] "entries in our addons, are they neeed for exe files or should be used with others (theme addons, etc.)?

and thanx HiDefHusker for sharing
I would include the AddReg entries with any addon that has an installation program. It shouldn't be needed with theme addons, etc.

You're welcome! Just trying to make up for everything I've learned here. :-)

UtCollector

Post by UtCollector » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:00 pm

Nice i like it :D I will test this right away 8)

On my prived pc i use this line in my cleanup.cmd to throw the "Default user away :
rd /s/q "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User"

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:07 pm

UtCollector wrote:Nice i like it :D I will test this right away 8)

On my prived pc i use this line in my cleanup.cmd to throw the "Default user away :
doesn't that cause error? rd remove directory?

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Actually, I'm thinking of making the TMP\TEMP modifications listed above a part of the PatchAddons thread if HiDefHusker wouldn't mind (as I'd mention you in the credits, naturally).

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:43 am

One of the other reasons why I prefer true addons and not switchless addons.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:59 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:One of the other reasons why I prefer true addons and not switchless addons.
me too.....

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:35 am

Well you can't make non switchless addons for everything, nor is it preferable in all circumstances. For something like ZoneAlarm, this is probably your only bet.

UtCollector

Post by UtCollector » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:50 am

MrNxDmx wrote:

Nops there is no procces telling you that it, or some files are loaded in memory. Just try it :D

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Zacam wrote:Actually, I'm thinking of making the TMP\TEMP modifications listed above a part of the PatchAddons thread if HiDefHusker wouldn't mind (as I'd mention you in the credits, naturally).
Not a problem.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that if someone were so inclined, they _could_ make, for exactly themeselves, a complete list of addons that were formerly switchless installers. They don't work in many deployments because you're then making assumptions about how the programs are to be used and configured that can escape control. I've managed to make addons out of what I previously used swtichless installers for, including a fully customized and ready to "whip the llama's ass!" winamp.

It's simply time consuming and again, outside of my own box, I have no idea what it would do. The same could be said for the switchless installers, since it relies upon the SWI makers options that they selected during the install.

The above example of winamp, it could be turned into a shared addon easily. Save for the fact that it has multiple SUB-addons that further configure it's behaviour. And while the dependancies are not nearly as much of a headache as I initially thought they were, releasing it as a maintainence item here.....well, let's just say it's going to take a little more polishing to get it there.

Dedication, Time & Patience. 3 things that can set the world on it's ear in the blink of an eye.

Incidentally, thanks for the reply HiDefHusker!

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:32 am

UtCollector wrote:
MrNxDmx wrote:

Nops there is no procces telling you that it, or some files are loaded in memory. Just try it :D
I tried deleting all "default user" directory, windows now works fine. But what if i add one more user? will it need that dir or can create them by itself?
thanx for the info :wink:

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:03 am

Typically, I've never seen "Default User" get used for much of anything. Most applications that I've seen that call to a profile directory either go to the user profile or the All Users profile.....in fact, looking at my "Default" directory, I see absolutely nothing in use and nothing set in the registry for it.

I can only suppose that it might be used in the case of guest services......but since I never enable or allow "guest" accounts of any kind....

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:39 am

"Default User" is the template for new users. Anything you put in the "Documents and Settings\Default User" folder and in the "HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT" registry will be there when a new user is created. I use this for all of my user-based registry hacks. That way they are present for all users. I also create a default Firefox profile. That way all users get the extensions preloaded. Just my $0.02.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm talking about entries added to HKEY_CURRENT_USER during setup at T-13. RogueSpear has pointed out that this doesn't work for entries added to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT post-setup. Thanks for the clarification.
Last edited by HiDefHusker on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 am

HiDefHusker wrote:"Default User" is the template for new users. Anything you put in the "Documents and Settings\Default User" folder and in the "HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT" registry will be there when a new user is created. I use this for all of my user-based registry hacks. That way they are present for all users. I also create a default Firefox profile. That way all users get the extensions preloaded. Just my $0.02.
Actually, this is partially correct. A quote from here:
One common misconception is that making changes to the [KHEY_USERS\.DEFAULT] key will make the changes to the Default User profile. This is not the case. The [.DEFAULT] key actually governs the state of the computer when no user is logged in. If you want a certain background bitmap to appear behind the Ctrl + Alt + Delete screen, set the Wallpaper value in [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop].

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:16 am

"HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT" is used as a template for new accounts. Try it!

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm talking about entries added to HKEY_CURRENT_USER during setup at T-13. RogueSpear has pointed out that this doesn't work for entries added to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT post-setup. Thanks for the clarification.
Last edited by HiDefHusker on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:27 am

I used to use that method years ago until I found out it was incorrect. Did you read the link from my last post?

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:35 pm

RogueSpear wrote:I used to use that method years ago until I found out it was incorrect. Did you read the link from my last post?
LOL! It works. What else can I say?

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:39 pm

Suit yourself.. I tend to not do things when if I feel there is the possibility there will be problems or it won't work right. Anyway, importing entries to HKEY_CURRENT_USER from cmdlines will work properly. And for post setup, you can easily issue a "reg save hkcu path\ntuser.dat" command.

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:One of the other reasons why I prefer true addons and not switchless addons.
I've been thinking about this. While I understand the motivation behind .cab/.inf addons (aka, "true" addons), I find myself preferring silent installers (they don't need to be switchless). Here are my reasons why:

1) Silent install addons can be created much quicker and with much less effort (unless there is some automated way of doing this that I don't know about).

2) Silent install addons give me a higher degree of confidence that things are being installed "correctly" (especally with installers that add services, etc).

3) Many of the .cab/.inf addons that people are releasing have been customized. They don't install things in the normal place, with the normal shortcuts with the normal options, etc. How are poeople supposed to understand what they're installing without a detailed review of the .cab/.inf files?

Each to his own, I guess. :-)

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:47 pm

RogueSpear wrote:Suit yourself.. I tend to not do things when if I feel there is the possibility there will be problems or it won't work right. Anyway, importing entries to HKEY_CURRENT_USER from cmdlines will work properly. And for post setup, you can easily issue a "reg save hkcu path\ntuser.dat" command.
Hmmm. I'm talking about adding entries to HKEY_CURRENT_USER during T-13. So, I think we're talking about the same thing. I haven't tried adding entries to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT after setup is complete. Thanks for the information!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:33 pm

HiDefHusker wrote:1) Silent install addons can be created much quicker and with much less effort (unless there is some automated way of doing this that I don't know about).
I totally agree.
HiDefHusker wrote:2) Silent install addons give me a higher degree of confidence that things are being installed "correctly" (especally with installers that add services, etc).
Again, I totally agree.. kind of. I know that they're being installed correctly when I've made them myself or I got them from someone I know can make them properly. As you may or may not know, I'm a rather prolific silent install creator. But if someone has no idea who I am or they have no confidence in my work, then they're really relying on some blind faith. That is unless they want to do a lot of testing in VM or carefully inspect the .msi file.
HiDefHusker wrote:3) Many of the .cab/.inf addons that people are releasing have been customized. They don't install things in the normal place, with the normal shortcuts with the normal options, etc. How are poeople supposed to understand what they're installing without a detailed review of the .cab/.inf files?
This is actually the #1 complaint that people have with my installers. The majority of things do not get installed to the default directory and the shortcuts are usually modified as well. But I do document where all of this stuff goes. I just can't stand a messy Start Menu. My buddy's little boy calls his father's start menu "a winding worm". And his program files directory is approaching 300 subdirectories.
HiDefHusker wrote:Each to his own, I guess. :-)
Kinda how I look at it too.

HiDefHusker

Post by HiDefHusker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:13 pm

RogueSpear wrote:I just can't stand a messy Start Menu. My buddy's little boy calls his father's start menu "a winding worm". And his program files directory is approaching 300 subdirectories.
I agree with you 100%. However, I deal with this in cmdlines.txt. I have a cleanup.cmd that moves everything to where I want it to be.

T D

Post by T D » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:28 pm

Weeew... nice find!! Now I can use 7-zip switchlesses instead of ZipGenius sfxs cos Zipgenius is the only (i know) archiver than can make a sfx to xtract to a variable w/a sub-dir and 7-zip has better compression.
Maybe Ryan could add this to his update pack?