Board inactive logoff duration

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Bazza

Board inactive logoff duration

Post by Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:08 am

Ryan or another board admin,

Please, please increase the inactive logout time. At the moment I get logged off the board after only about 5 mins or so of so called "inactivity".

For example, I logged on to add a reply in a thread & while I was typing the reply I was logged off the board. When I hit the preview button, I was taken to to Login page (where I logged on again) but I LOST EVERYTHING THAT I HAD JUST TYPED. :cry:

Could the inactive timeout be increased to say, 30 mins.

TIA

PS. If it matters I do allow cookies to be stored for ryanvm.net .

buletov

Re: Board inactive logoff duration

Post by buletov » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:45 am

Bazza wrote:I LOST EVERYTHING THAT I HAD JUST TYPED.
Couldn't you use the browser's "Back" button to regain your typing?
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:03 am

Tried that but it didn't work.

What I ended up doing was typing everything in a text editor & once I finished, logged on again, cut&paste the text, applied some formatting & submitted the reply.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:32 am

Hmmm... I don't think Ryan has such a small inactivity limit. All I can think is maybe he did some forum upgrading and it forced a logout on you somehow.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:42 am

Nope, this is been happening for quiet sometime. I logon & start reading the new/updated threads. There might be a link to some other website or similar. The next thing I notice is that I've been logged off, therefore loosing the list of new/updated threads.

Not exactly sure when it started happening. Possibly after I re-installed WinXP 2 or 3 weeks ago. Maybe it's some IE6 setting or something, however, I don't see anything obviously wrong with my IE6 settings.

Since I stuffed up the last install of Windows ... I deleted some languages that I shouldn't have, I'll will be re-installing Windows again in the next day or so. When I've done that, I'll take a closer look at my IE6 settings.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:42 pm

Bazza wrote:Nope, this is been happening for quiet sometime. I logon & start reading the new/updated threads. There might be a link to some other website or similar. The next thing I notice is that I've been logged off, therefore loosing the list of new/updated threads.
That's been happening in Firefox too. I work around it by telling the board to "Auto Login," but all new posts are still shown as already read after the limit expires.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:38 pm

5eraph wrote:That's been happening in Firefox too. I work around it by telling the board to "Auto Login," but all new posts are still shown as already read after the limit expires.
same here too.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:54 pm

I don't see an option to change it in the Admin CP. Does anybody here know how to change it?
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Auto-logon doesn't work for me, even though I tick the auto-logon option everytime I logon via the logon page. The only exception I found so far is when I go directly to read PM's ... in that case, auto-logon works.

The cookie has the auto-logon option specified.

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:11 am

I deleted the ryanvm.net cookie & then logged back on.

Auto-logon still doesn't work but I'm NOT being logged off now after a few minutes of "inactivity". So that problem seems to have been resolved. :D

Both the new & old cookies look the same to me. :?

As to auto-logon ... that would be nice but it doesn't really bother me that I have to manually logon to the forum.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:56 am

I just upped the session timeout from 10 minutes to 15. Hopefully that helps.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Bazza

Post by Bazza » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks Ryan.