Slight problem with cursor packs?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

Slight problem with cursor packs?

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:02 pm

I've noticed I get this pop-up window every time I apply any third-party cursor pack in XP:

It doesn't appear to make much of a difference what I choose as the new cursors become applied in the end, but I find this box annoying and unnecessary. Is there any way to sort it out? I don't know if it has anything to do with the way cursor addon packs install them or not.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:06 pm

i got it too, but no idea why it displays... If sb offers a solution,i'm ready to add it to my cursor packs..

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:46 pm

Hmmmm, experimented a bit here. Decided to test the Mouse CPL's "Save As" function (regarding cursor schemes) by changing the normal cursor in Anti-Aliased Cursors 1.5 Shado and saving the custom scheme as Blah. When switching to Blah, the window does not pop-up. Curiously, after doing this, I discovered the way XFree was set up (through this addon I believe, although I don't know if XFree reg settings were modified by anything else afterwards) meant it would not summon the window either. A check of the registry produced these results... http://www.mike65.f2s.com/uploads/files/cursors.reg.txt

When looking at it in RegEdit though, no hex code is displayed, and Blah and XFree are considered REG_EXPAND_SZ instead of just REG_SZ. Here's what it looks like in RegEdit basically....

So it's either to do with the REG type applied, or wherever you input settings in text or hex code. :?

UPDATE: WAIT!!! I think I've worked out the problem! First off, if you do say Yes in the window with any scheme, it does make a change in the respective section in the registry. It changes all C:\WINDOWS references to %SYSTEMROOT% and changes the key from REG_SZ to REG_EXPAND_SZ (hence the new hex code!). This must have been what happened with XFree and I didn't seem to realise back then. But even better, it appears that to stop the window from popping up with an unchanged scheme (i.e. one that hasn't been regchanged already with the Yes option), all I simply have to do is replace C:\WINDOWS with %SYSTEMROOT% in its text code (no hex required) and eureka! Window gone, problem solved! Now if only there was a way to enforce %SYSTEMROOT% in INFs...........

Hope I've been of some help anyway!

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:11 pm

thank you marzsyndrome, that info is making that pop-ups disappear. I will look into this and will update all cursor packs as soon as possible...