Suggestions | Question to Integrate Windows Messenger 5.1

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Araknis

Suggestions | Question to Integrate Windows Messenger 5.1

Post by Araknis » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:02 am

The current/default Windows Messenger version 4,7,0,3000
I believe uses the following files located in the I386 directory:
msmsgs.cat, msmsgs.inf, msvcp60.dll, MMSSETUP.CAB

MMSETUP.CAB contains the following files:
custsat.dll, logowin.gif, lvback.gif, Msgsc.dll, msgslang.dll, Msmsgs.exe, newalert.wav, newemail.wav, online.wav, type.wav, xpmsgr.chm

To integrate 5.1 wouldn't we just have to modify the msmsgs.inf with Windows Messenger 5.1's registry entries and files.
Find out what cat file would replace msmsgs.cat
And replace the files in MMSSETUP.CAB with the newer files from 5.1

Windows Messenger 5.1 (from the MSI) has all of the same files as ver 4 for this cab in the MSI:
custsat.dll, logo.gif, lvback.gif, Msgsc.dll, msgslang.dll, Msmsgs.exe, newalert.wav, newemail.wav, online.wav, type.wav, xpmsgr.chm, msvcp60.dll

However, The Msi also contains these other files that get installed on WinXP SP2:
2kmsgr5.chm, AER_1033.ADM, DW20.EXE, DWDCW20.DLL, DWINTL20.DLL, DWTRIG20.EXE, inked.dll, inkobj.dll, msimmsgr.dll, msimnetc.dll, msvcr71.dll, RTCDLL.dll, RTCRES.dll, tpcps.dll, wisptis.exe, and 6 x86_Microsoft.Windows.Networking.* files

I guess for these new files you would also include them in the MSSETUP.CAB and make some changes to msmsgs.inf to add the new files.

My questions are what CAT from the msi would replace msmsgs.cat?
Is this how you would add the new/extra files?
Can the info for msmsgs.inf be obtained from the MSI from ORCA?

Thanks.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:53 am

This one is a real pain in the ass. I made a 7z based silent switchless installer for this one and unlike every other 7zSSI I've made, this one will not install from either svcpack.inf or cmdlines.txt. I actually have to install it from the RunOnceEx part of setup. Another point.. this was by far the screwiest msi file I've ever dealt with in terms of making an AIP. I don't even remember exactly how I did it, but I did manage to capture all of the files inside the msi. Unfortunately the inf file that you mention wasn't in there.

I would definately be all for a direct integration of this puppy, but it's really starting to look like it's more trouble than it's worth.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:56 am

Maybe when I've got some spare time (:lol:), I look into this in further detail. I looked into it once in the past, but then saw all the added files and said screw it :P. But that was also before I did WMP10 integration, which is seriously more complex.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:05 am

Let me know if you'd like me to send you the AIP because it's definately a trying experience to get this one extracted.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Well, I've gotten it extracted before :P

There's also that really nice tool that was posted a few threads down for extracting files.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:28 pm

Yeah, think it was LessMSIerables. extracts msi files very good and fast