Ah, The Good Old Days...

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
5eraph
Site Admin

Ah, The Good Old Days...

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:41 am

Do any of these videogame ads from 1982 bring back memories?

I've had an Atari 2600, and later a 7800; but my first real computer was an Atari 400 that I got for Xmas in '81 when I was six. It was one of the few things that could keep me happy after my mother passed away that year.

I still have it, and surprisingly it still works. I even still have my BASIC cartridge and tape drive, but I've lost most of the games and all of the warped tapes I used to use, though. I used to read through Byte magazines looking for code to play with. They had some interesting articles as well. The one I remember most clearly was about the "new" Dune movie with Sting that I never actually saw until I was much, much older (God, it sucked).

I'd be a very different person today if I'd never had that Atari.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:51 pm

Wow.. my first was an Atari 800, also 1981 I think - I was 13. Hey did you have to wait like a year and a half for the floppy drive to come out after they took preorders? Those really were the days, when I kid could master every single thing about a computer. I even banged out some serious assembly code in those days.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:24 pm

Assembly was way over my head, but I did manage to do some BASIC programming back then. I never got the floppy drive for it, but the neighbor behind me eventually got one of the newer black streamlined 800s with the external floppy drive. That was after I got a Tandy 1000b in '86.

Do you know where I could find an old 8088 processor? I pulled it out when I upgraded the processor to a 286 (it was on an expansion card with a ribbon to the processor slot). That's all I should need to get that up and running again. I do still have all of the software for that beast. :)

I wonder what would have happened if Tandy's DeskMate OS was still around. Do you think it would still seriously compete with Windows?

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:21 pm

Yeh, I too bought an Atari in the early 80's ...with the basic cartridge and some space game cartridge (hyperspace or...something). Kept it for a year or so, then sold it to a work colleague before it became superseded.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:30 pm

You might be thinking of Star Raiders. I had that one and a port of the first raytraced arcade Star Wars game. :)

I also had Centipede and Dig Dug, but my most favorite game was found at a garage sale just down the street from me: Jumpman Jr.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:32 pm

Don't forget Miner 2049er and Joust :D

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Star Raiders could be it....I remember the game had a hyperspace jump if you were getting murdered and had to escape the baddies.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:22 pm

Star Raiders was hard for me at that age. I never did finish it. But I do remember the hyperspace jump (the sound it made is stuck in my head now). I was always getting my ass handed to me in that game. My rating was usually Garbage Scow. :D

I remember hearing about Miner 2049er, but never actually played it. I always wanted Joust. I eventually got that for the 7800, but by then I'd mostly lost interest. :(