Is it possible to edit registry entries outside of XP?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

Is it possible to edit registry entries outside of XP?

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:00 pm

Most particularly if you were stupid - like me - and tried to quick-install both .NET Frameworks with one of RogueSpear's switchless installers under the assumption that the problem with the registry key had been fixed (according to the notes) and it was safe to use anytime after XP had finalised itself installation-wise. :( Cue the dreaded "Setup Not Installed Properly" error window and auto-reset each time afterwards.

I don't much fancy having to reinstall the whole OS all over again just because of one annoyingly miniscule mistake!

So no way to do it through bootdisk/boot-CD/recovery console/repair console/anything else?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Did you report your findings to RogueSpear?

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm

Indeed I did, but he didn't give out a solution as such, but stated simply that he'd alter the release notes to reflect the fact that anything with .NET 2.0 in it should only be installed through svcpack in future, as clearly the code he was given by someone the previous week didn't work for many people in the end.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 pm

ERD Commander will let you edit te local registry after booting from a cd. Otherwise, I've been told that you can do it with BartPE, but I've never gotten that to work personally.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 pm

You can edit the registry with a BartPE disk. Just be sure to do a "runscanner" first so that you are editing the registry on the hard drive. Google "runscanner" for more.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:10 pm

An easy way to make a bartpe disk is to search BartPE forums for reatogo's BartPE Disk creator. It does all of the hard work for you. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:14 pm

Crikey, I've never bothered to use any of this BartPE malarkey before, even though I recall the name bouncing around on the net many a time.

Hope the official page carries a good step-by-step tutorial, as well as a good guide on this runscanner thingy....

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:23 am

Eeeehh, forget about it folks. Following Ryan's suggestion worked! Managed to acquire ERD Commander and let it boot up, although with my crappy LG drive it took bloody ages =P. But yeah, I can't believe how easy it was to hook onto an existing Windows installation and edit it that way! :D

I might well keep ERDC as a good companion in future. 8) Cheers.