DirectX 9.L will be a DirectX 10 for Longhorn, not XP

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
MrNxDmX

DirectX 9.L will be a DirectX 10 for Longhorn, not XP

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:40 pm

WE MANAGED TO glean a few facts about the upcoming DirectX 9.0 L we told you about here.
DirectX 9.0 L is simply a renamed and refurbished DirectX 10 for Windows XP. It will make DirectX 10 games to work on Windows XP.

And games such as the upcoming Crysis won't work on the existing DirectX 9.0 c. they need a DirectX 9.0 L

One of the biggest issues is the fact that Nvidia or ATI won't have any mainstream or entry-level cards until at least mid- to end of Q1 2007. This suggests that if Vista tips up around the beginning of the year, gamers will be turned off by it.

Electronic Arts, the publisher of Crysis, wants to sell hundreds or thousands, even millions of copies and we doubt that Nvidia can produce and sell that many Geforce 8800 GTX and GTS cards.

It will be interesting to see whether the Windows XP Crysis will be different from the Vista ones. µ

Click to read on source

EDIT: Sorry guys, I found this news on msfn, and now I see a later published article that says: DirectX 9.0 L works on Vista only

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks for this Info...

Do you know that how much time DirectX9L will take to Arrive at the Users end....:)

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:52 pm

I edited post, sorry for misinforming you mindcurd;
EDIT: Sorry guys, I found this news on msfn, and now I see a later published article that says: DirectX 9.0 L works on Vista only
Quote from article:
DX9.0L is a special version of DirectX 9 for Vista only that allows DX9 games to run with Vista's new driver model. It's not possible to run D3D10 on XP without running in pure software emulation.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 pm

However, if the driver model layer and interface are ported to XP, then there goes the argument of DX10 not being able to be run on XP in Hardware mode for the D3D......then again, I'm of the opinion that OpenGL leads to more platforms than just windows.

Again, it'll be a wait and see, but I'm fairly confident that DX10 will be available or that XP can be modified to run it.

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:59 am

Zacam wrote: Again, it'll be a wait and see, but I'm fairly confident that DX10 will be available or that XP can be modified to run it.
Exactly...

May be it will also be Modified for Windows98...LOL... :)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:33 am

Okay, I've read just about every article in the last year relating to the various flavors of DX9 and the new DX10. This article is the first I've seen that sums it all up very nicely.

FiringSquad - DirectX 10 Preview: The Future of PC Graphics and Gaming

My own opinion is that we'll never see DirectX10 on XP. There's no possible way to rewrite five years' worth of GPU drivers to fit the required new driver model. Period.

As it is, the future of Service Pack 3 is still very much in doubt at this point; and it's an absolute necessity.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:09 pm

You wouldn't have to re-write five years of GPU drivers.

User-Mode seperated drivers are already possibly under XP, which is the primary emphasis on DX10's lowered overhead. And considering that DX10 HARDWARE cards will have the implimentation of a generic unified pool for shaders/geometry, the drivers for those cards will already operate under that layer. DX10 running DX9 hardware (regardless of the drivers) is probably not going to see much of an improvement because the hardware architecture of the card is not unified. (And if you think this unification is a software only result, then you didn't read enough.) In short, without DX10 hardware (and the DX10 drivers that go with it) it wouldn't make much sense to port DX10 to XP since most DX9 hardware is not going to see any improvements on thier operations, but they also should not see any decline. This still doesn't mean it's impossible.

Further, when one knows that they're writting a version of DX9 to run on Vista to support DX9 hardware, they're obviously going to have to change that to operate on a seperated User/Kernel mode layer. When one looks in comparision to DX9.0c one can see how they managed to create that implimentation layer (since they didn't re-write DX9, they just included the implimentation layer to help it split it's operations to the User Mode layer.) Further, DX9.0L is operatable under XP, if you can get past the version detection for the OS.

_OFFICIALLY_ you are correct. We are likely NOT going to see M$ say "Oh, alright, here's DX10 for XP". They've already convinced themselves that it cannot happen, so they won't bother with trying, especially since it would shoot them in the foot in terms of getting Vista deployed to the enthusiast gaming market that MUST HAVE DX10 for DX10 capable titles. And that's fine. I'm not looking for an official solution, I'm just saying that I find it highly unlikely that NO solution exists at all. I'm highly comfortable with XP (even though I still don't like it) and I see no point to having to upgrade the OS (after just upgrading all the hardware it's running on) just to meet a DX specification/recommendation/requirement for a new "Game of the Year" title.......that's why I bought the hardware.