Vista vs XP: Will you upgrade,or continue using XP

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.

Will you upgrade?

Of course yes!
31%
Fine with XP (with Ryans pack :wink: )
56%
Using Linux, will use Linux! (what are u doin here:D)
6%
Other (please tell)
7%

Total votes: 54

MrNxDmX

Vista vs XP: Will you upgrade,or continue using XP

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi all, today i read a news on msfn (Hollywood, Microsoft align on new Windows) about what Vista will include. It seems that Vista will have very good security features, but most of them will be unnecessary i think. After Xp 4 years over now, and no new operating systems for Pc's from MS. This is not a good thing, windows is not growing like linux, or other stuff.
Not only operating system,think internet explorer, no new versions yet :evil:, what about Windows Media Player, eating system resources, like a hammer, slow, not like winamp or others....I remember my friend from university, he had gone a conference at university, he's programmer, some had come from microsoft. He told me that, they said they didn't do much things for Xp, only added a new shell for Win2000, and added some user friendly stuff.thats all. but 4 years passed.only 2 service packs, having tons of icons not replaced fom win95 :?:
Of course we have Xpize, makes our system looks better.....:)
Vista will require 512mb ram, ...ghz cpu, and so on. They say it will be fast, but will eat too(ooo!) much resources (why an operating system needs 512mbram?). If you use win98 on a p4 2,0 and 512mbram, notice that it will fly, while using, while booting, shutting down... I am not a 98 fan, but the truth is that. I am using Xp Sp2 right now, no errors, everything fine with drivers, applications, tools, cameras and any other stuff. But what about Vista? Microsoft forced the market to move to XP, that was a good job, but what about vista, it doesnt seem good for me... I think Xp, with Sp3 of course, or a second edition xp will make everything fine enough. I want to hear your thoughts about Vista vs Xp, and new security features of course...

I wish Ryan will continue his pack after sp3 releases,so our installation will always be up to date.

Thank you... :rolleyes:

mindwarper

Post by mindwarper » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:53 pm

I agree on that XP SP3 or new XP edition with for example WMP10 (or 11 by then) and IE7 integrated..

I find the XP environment robust enough and thank god there is such tools and methods for reducing installation size, like nLite and others...

buletov

Post by buletov » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:25 pm

Depends on the final product....
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:48 pm

Ive had the beta of longhorn so its kinda a hard choice, because after all with ryans pack you have a fresh install thats completely up to date, the only big difference is the flash like ui that vista has more its mostly just show, but then again i like prety things ;). but still when it comes down to it, i think security is better than beauty. so i would probably stick to xp until vista proves to be worth the money.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:39 pm

yea dgelwin, i like would like to have new ui of course but it seems needs more money(new system, new cpu, new gpu, etc.) is microsoft going to add ui enchancements to xp? if so i will never think to upgrade... ie7 will come to xp, i dont use xp integrated firewall, so no probs with it, i dont use media player so no probs with it. i know that vista is being made on w2k3 sp1 source -that making it more secure than xp-, thats only problem about my opinion.argghhh.. maybe just we should use w2k3 sp1 :D

watson81

Post by watson81 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:30 am

Like buletov, I plan on waiting until the final product comes out to make a decision. However, if it contains the levels of intrusive DRM, such as PVP-OPM and HDMI/HDCP, that I've heard it does, I doubt I'll upgrade to it since my brand new LCD doesn't support those technologies.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:35 am

watson81 wrote:Like buletov, I plan on waiting until the final product comes out to make a decision. However, if it contains the levels of intrusive DRM, such as PVP-OPM and HDMI/HDCP, that I've heard it does, I doubt I'll upgrade to it since my brand new LCD doesn't support those technologies.
Sorry for misknowledge, what are those technologies for :shock: :?:

watson81

Post by watson81 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:07 pm

MrNxDmx wrote:
watson81 wrote:Like buletov, I plan on waiting until the final product comes out to make a decision. However, if it contains the levels of intrusive DRM, such as PVP-OPM and HDMI/HDCP, that I've heard it does, I doubt I'll upgrade to it since my brand new LCD doesn't support those technologies.
Sorry for misknowledge, what are those technologies for :shock: :?:
HDMI is a new way of connecting multimedia devices. It's designed to basically be combination of a DVI cable and audio cables. It also has a smaller connector than DVI. By itself, HDMI is nice and doesn't mess anything up even if your technology doesn't support it.

HDCP is a digital rights management system that is being mandated for next generation multimedia, such as HDTV and the new HD disks, both HD-DVD and BluRay. It can work on HDMI or DVI connectors, but I've only seen it on HDMI. It's intended to prevent pirates from hooking up a device to will capture a full quality digital signal. You'll see it on some new HDTVs.

PVP-OPM, or Protected Video Path-Output Protection Management, is Microsoft's new bit of policy/code that is supposed to "protect" our ability to watch multimedia, specifically HD content, on our computers. Basically, if any of you components are not PVP-OPM capabile you either don't get to watch the protected content at all or it is downsized to a crappy version. The catch is that q monitor must be HDCP compliant to work with PVP-OPM. Since almost no monitors are compliant, everybody will have to buy new monitors if Microsoft implements this and if they want to watch protected content.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:52 pm

thank you watson81, for your description.
Those technologies will be included in Vista, right?

mauro

Post by mauro » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:18 pm

PVP-OPM, or Protected Video Path-Output Protection Management, is Microsoft's new bit of policy/code that is supposed to "protect" our ability to watch multimedia, specifically HD content, on our computers. Basically, if any of you components are not PVP-OPM capabile you either don't get to watch the protected content at all or it is downsized to a crappy version. The catch is that q monitor must be HDCP compliant to work with PVP-OPM. Since almost no monitors are compliant, everybody will have to buy new monitors if Microsoft implements this and if they want to watch protected content.[/quote]

Thank You very much Microsoft-Wankers

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 am

With all the DRM that's supposed to be included in Windows Vista, I doupt that I will stay with Windows beyond XP. I am seriously considering waiting for Apple's Mac OS to be released to run on the i386 system, then I will fully switch over to it, as it stands I use both now, but I like the Mac OS better for most things, and once more games are ported over, I will finally stop using Windows all together, since that's basically the only reason I continue to use Windows for. Although I do use the digital tuner on my Windows PC, I can and will switch to using it on my Mac once the ability to use the OS on i386 machines is available for public use. (Right now it's only available for development use.) As far as the 3D desktop features goes, it's ok, but like most here, I am more interested in stability/security of my systems than the looks of them. I just wish that there were more gaming software available now for the Mac, I know that I can run Windows in a virtual space on my Mac and run some games through that, but I still would like the ability to run them fully on the Mac without the virtual machine running thus slowing them down and causing me to have to use poor graphics/quality settings to run them. Will have to see what time will tell though, never know what will take place between now and 2007, my mind could change by then.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Link

Post by Link » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:33 am

It all depends on how Vista turns out? I mean Windows XP seems by far more than good enough for most of us right now.

So Vista is going to be based on Windows Server 2003 SP1? I thought Windows Server 2003 was based on Windows XP, but for Server features? So, is there any logic and truth that it would be good to run Windows Server 2003 as a workstation because it is newer? Or is Windows Server 2003 not at all better than XP for anything but for Servers.

Another words, should we read too much into Windows Server 2003 being Windows NT 5.2 where as Windows XP is only Windows NT 5.1? Or is it all marketing hype from MS and 5.1.XX can have just as many improvements in future service packs as 5.2.xx can, it's just a different display of the version number?

MrNxDmX

Microsoft Windows Officially Broken

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:55 am

I hope you all read this:
Windows was broken and Microsoft has admitted it. In an unprecedented attempt to explain its Longhorn problems and how it abandoned its traditional way of working, the normally secretive software giant has given unparalleled access to The Wall Street Journal, even revealing how Vice President Jim Allchin, personally broke the bad news to Bill Gates.

Allchin is co-head of the Platform Products and Services Division. "It's not going to work," he told Gates in the chairman's office mid-2004, the paper reports. "[Longhorn] is so complex its writers will never be able to make it run properly. "The reason: Microsoft engineers were building it just as they had always built software. Thousands of programmers each produced their own piece of computer code, to be stitched together into one sprawling program. But Longhorn/Vista was too complex: Microsoft needed to begin again, Allchin told Gates.

Allchin's warning recognised a growing threat from Google, Apple Computer, makers of Linux and corporate buyers - the latter horrified about security problems. Allchin and a small team demanded a revolution in how Microsoft works.
Full story :shock:
EDIT: god damn, article not found anymore on that site :evil:
Last edited by MrNxDmX on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdogg

Post by gdogg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:16 pm

im gonna be using my project, which is an edited windows xp @ 57MB installed

i called it microwinX

thats why i clicked other :P

Millie

Post by Millie » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:44 am

Going to stay with XP until pretty boy gates forces me to change or Linux gets going good. M$ and its pretty boy gates gets no more money from me since his WPA scheme assumes I am a thief until I can prove I am not.

petedy

Post by petedy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:05 am

will hopefully upgrade to Vista once the first round of fixes have been relased, and of course if my wallet allows me to upgrade :)

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:27 am

petedy wrote:will hopefully upgrade to Vista once the first round of fixes have been relased, and of course if my wallet allows me to upgrade :)
why do need a wallet? internet is a free source of all :wink:

Jondar

My upgrade plan...

Post by Jondar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:05 am

Way back in 1995, I was one of the (silly?) people who bought Win95 on the first day, then installed it... had quite a few problems "upgrading", that I had to totally reformat... That taught me a major computer lesson for a guy still in HS: Don't use a new OS on the first day of release! :)

Since then I've dealt with three sucessive newer versions of Windows on my home PC (98, Me, then XP). Each time, I've never bought a "boxed version" -- I only "upgraded" when I bought a new system -- i.e. an OEM version that was included in the deal when I bought a new PC. Take for example, I only started using XP in mid 2002, when at the time, my PC was due for the trade-in.

I plan to do the same thing for Vista. Why? At least then, with buying new hardware to match the ever-growing resource-hungry OS, I know I'll have the right specs to run the new OS. Now, considering that I'm quite happy with my current PC, and I'm quite happy with XP Pro (+ Ryan's Pack, of course!), my plans for a new PC are a fair ways off... (probably late 2007/early 2008).

I'll follow the Vista launch and (the inevitable) fixes via the web, but I'll only put in on my home PC when I get new hardware.

My $0.02.
Jondar of varos.net

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:45 pm

who need vista if you use windowsblinds 5 with transparency lol, i will also trade later on for much of the same reasons above, i will wait maybe a year or more for compatible hardware to drop in prices, then build a new system and install. but until then.
i think all i will do is just update xp with avalon interface using sp3 or maybe the avalon download, where the hell did i put that link.... oh yeah shit here it is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:55 pm

LOL @ your sig hahahahahahahahahahahahah...

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:53 pm

hahahaha yeah i thought someone would noticed i changed it sooner or later, but hey its true there is a girl in the forums. jijijiji :lol:

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:05 am

I will use Vista as my primary OS as soon as it becomes standard. Hell there are still things out that aren't ready for Windows XP! =/
A few years ago Windows XP was hailed as the greatest OS of all time. Within one year, something happened: Users started losing control of their computers. With all the problems on the web now such as spyware, adware, rootkits, spam, netkillers....blah blah blah(insert noob concern here)...Users don't even want to touch a computer anymore because they can't tell what the problem is and a lot of end users don't have access to disaster recovery or reinstallation tools. It really pisses me off to think that these things are still an issue. I've reinstalled Windows XP at least three times last month due to a threat that I didn't see before on a site I trusted. One day I get a popup, BAM! Infected.

=/

While it's a step up, there are just too damn many security holes in the Windows NT OS. I would really like to see a new OS release soon, but it's becoming too much of a burden already. I won't be switching to Vista as my primary OS, but I will have it for testing purposes. As much as I would like to use Vista as my primary OS, I want to see XP fixed first.

I'm not even going to get started about backwards compatibility issues or the malicious viruses.
Do you have stairs in your house?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:31 pm

I think Vista will be better in the end, after a couple of service packs. I sure as hell won't upgrade to Vista immediately, I'd rather have XP SP3 :D

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:04 pm

I also heard that Vista is gonna be geared more toward's 64 chips. Think about it 512mb min and 32 can only page 2-3gb efficently. That's only for Vista itself what about all the other app's. I'm not a big fan of flashy stuff. DRM up the wazzo. Also the file size's are insane, 120mb just for the game Purple Place. WTF i'm not wasting space like that. Plus the whole new look is so horrible, even office 12 is like that, no more menu's now this, shit. We'e going backwards in OS development. No Vista for me. Most likely Mac Os X86.
Last edited by keytotime on Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:09 pm

I don't even like the Luna theme, let alone the Office12/Vista look. But that's something you can turn off, what's more important is functionality mr. Linux. :P

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:42 am

has anybody heard of xp sp3 alpha's?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:02 am

Nope

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:45 am

According to sources, the scheduled release date for Windows Vista is July 23, 2006. That release date is only scheduled for PC vendors so that systems will be made Vista-ready before Christmas. The general public availability is projected to be after early September 2006.
XP SP3 is said to be released with the release of Windows Vista (December 7, 2006).

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:55 am

thanx ViVa, and can u share ur source, please?
i cant wait 1 more year for a service pack.f**k microsoft!!! :evil:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:56 am

I'll probably end up beta testing SP3 (just like I did SP2), but I haven't gotten any word from MS about an SP3 beta test yet. I'm just hoping they do an update rollup before that.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:05 am

@MrNxDmx, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP ... pending.29.
What's the problem with waiting for SP3?? We have Ryan taking care of everything, I don't care when SP3 comes personally.

@Ryan, official release is over more than a year... I don't know the normal procedure, but maybe we can expect a first beta in 6 months?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:07 am

Thanks ViVa, for sharing links. I am using Turkish Xp,and there is not a version of ryans pack for Turkish.I tried to make one,i did, but its hard to update it every month.
And Ryan, an update roll-up for xp sp2 will be very usefull, we have nearly 40 official hotfixes..... 40 is a big number :(

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:12 am

MrNxDmx, Ryan won't make a Turkish pack for sure if that's what you mean. Why don't you try the English Windows XP? I changed too from Dutch (NL) to English because of Ryan's great pack, I don't want to change back. In fact, all my programs are in English now, I even switched Office 2003 NL for the English one. :P