lightweight, no hassle bit torrent client?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
newsposter

lightweight, no hassle bit torrent client?

Post by newsposter » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:29 am

Something that does nothing but pull torrents and doesn't force me to set up return torrents....

thanks

Eron

Post by Eron » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:38 am

To the question posed in the subject, the answer (of those bittorrent client apps available in this group [and in my opinion]) is uTorrent (either one works fine).
newsposter wrote:Something that does nothing but pull torrents and doesn't force me to set up return torrents....
Well tuned utorrent network settings will allow you to make a sufficient contribution without having to worry about the negative effects of uploading on your network's download performance.

WiFi is a bit touchy because of the way it's built. You'll need to cap it back a bit more than straight cat but you can still help without limiting your download speed.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:19 am

The BT spec requires it. The whole system would fail if no one gave back to the swarm.

The game World of Warcraft uses Bittorrent in its updater. Imagine 5+ million subscribers hammering a single server cluster every time there's an update without Bittorrent. Chaos ensues. Obviously there are more servers, but the service would still crawl without it.

Eron is correct concerning download performance. You only need an upstream of 5-10 KB/s to have good performance with normal HTTP and FTP downloads at 500-1000 KB/s. This is why many consumer broadband ISPs don't give much upstream bandwidth. Anything more than a factor of ten is gravy.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Yah, I'm looking for an in-house only use of the 'system'. Not looking to be socially irresponsible, etc, etc, just trying out options for private, in the building/company use.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:01 pm

In that case I've heard good things about Another Bittorrent Client and uTorrent for client-side use. Azureus has options for setting up your own small tracker, but requires Java.

The Opera web browser has an integrated Bittorrent client, but from what I've seen it's not entirely BT standards compliant. It still might be something for you to look into. ;)

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:13 pm

I detest the Opera BT client. And I'm a fan of the opera browser.

I also detest the fact that very few places actually WORK with the opera BT client.

I just use uTorrent.