What is the differance between XP Pro and XP home after SP2

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
thunderchero

What is the differance between XP Pro and XP home after SP2 installed

Post by thunderchero » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:59 pm

I upgraded to XP pro some years ago and after Microsoft getting to be harda__'s about being genuine I went back to XP home

so I would like everyone to list all of the differances between the 2 versions after SP2 is installed

Thunderchero

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:36 pm

I can only think of a few offhand:
  • Pro can connect to a domain controller on a network, Home cannot.
  • Pro has advanced Sharing/Security options, Home is limited to Simple File Sharing.
  • Pro is licensed to connect to 10 peers in a Workgroup, Home can only connect to 5.
  • Pro has a built-in file encryption capability, Home does not.
  • Pro is licensed to support multiple CPU processors/cores, Home is not.
  • Pro supports remote sessions using Remote Desktop Connection, Home does not.
I'm just rattling them off as I remember them so I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

EDIT: I was able to find these on the web:
Last edited by 5eraph on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:37 pm

wga affects both pro and home...cause wga is for win xp. if ure legit then u shoulditn have any problem with ms being a hardass about it.they did it for a reason....and after installing sp2 ,they both are half updated cause u still have much updates to do.buy windows if ure tired of the wga.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:03 pm

bober101
OK, my mistake I know about wga that is not why I am asking. And I should not said that about microsoft they have every right to protect there product. I am legit now with my copy of XP home. It just seems to me there is very little differance between the 2 versions once you have all of the updates like SP2, .net 1.01, .net 2.0 and internet exporer 7 and all hot fixes.

5eraph
when I go to microsoft Support Knowledge Base it seems like most of these thing are no longer an issue with home after all of the updates I have 6 computer on my network all of them are on Xp home. and there is support for multiple CPU processors/cores for home. and the article that you posted is for none updated versions back in 2001.

so I still ask what is differant when they are updated

thunderchero

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:25 pm

You may have a point, thunderchero. I haven't seen any updated documentation about the differences either.

You could try reading through the release notes for SP2, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

If they did add some missing functionality to Home then I don't think it would have been in Microsoft's best interest to disclose it. The information may be hard to find for a reason.

thunderchero

Post by thunderchero » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:07 pm

OK I emailed the guy that made the list of differances back in 2001 from this web site Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows - http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... me_pro.asp
and I hope he will get back with me soon or update web page