newby about switchless installer

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
rfwoodwork

newby about switchless installer

Post by rfwoodwork » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi, I am new to this and I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, I don,t know what a switchless installer is.

iuli_kyle

Post by iuli_kyle » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi, first you should have searched through the forum but.... a switchless installer or a silent installer is a SFX archive which contains an app installer. With some silent switches ( parameters, commands ) the normal installer installs itself without user interaction and, of course, with the default settings. For more information about silent switches look at

Code: Select all

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/   at the Intermediate Users\Applications section
Hope it is useful ! :D

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:39 pm

A switchless installer is any regular installer but switches/parameters have been added to the EXE so it does not prompt you, it just installs without confirmation... Most Installers have switches, you can find them using a program like CMenu or Universal Silent Switch Finder
Once you find the switch to said installer you can make a silent switch installer using Vier's 7zip SFX Creator (it also has a silent switch detector)

Basically what the 7zip silent switch maker does is add the parameters or switch commands... It extracts and executes the Installer MSI or EXE then following the MSI or EXE are the parameters example:
WinRAR.exe /S
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iuli_kyle

Post by iuli_kyle » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:46 pm

What a huge explanation :P :D:D:D and complex too :D

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:21 pm

My short description for the term 'switchless installer'
(noting that switchless installers are distributed as EXE files)

note1 - doubleclick = execute
note2 - call an EXE from a command prompt = execute

execute a switchless installer = program installed

shark