Install cabs without reloading windows?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
zealot004

Install cabs without reloading windows?

Post by zealot004 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so bare with me. I got into RyanVM and nLite because, while I don't redo my whole computer as often as some of you guys, when I do format 1-2 times a year, I hate it because I have to reload all the updates and everything, taking several hours of my time. Yay for RyanVM and nLite solving most of that problem.

Anyway, I'm not ready to format my computer yet as it is still running pretty smoothly. But I would like to add some of the things I have found here. Specifically, I'd like to add some of the themes, such as Kel's Midnight Theme and Ricktendo's Zune Theme. I tried just copying the files in the inner-cab to new folders in the WINDOWS\Resources\Themes folder, but that doesn't work right. I'm guessing it has something to do with creating the proper sub-directory structure and putting the files in the correct sub-folders. But I have no clue where to start.

Can someone help me with this task? Should I post this question on those add-ons' topics?

Thanks in advance!

grief

Post by grief » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:34 pm

Kel's Visual Styles collections all contain self installers if you uncompress them. ie, open the archive with 7zip (or whatever you use) and you'll see the exe inside. you can run that program and it will install them.

i don't know how you'd do the individual themes tho :(

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 pm

INF addons which have a [DefaultInstall] section in the INF can be installed using right click.

Extract the AddOn to a sub directory
Open the INF in notepad and see if it has a [DefaultInstall] section
If it does Right Click on the .INF file and select "Install"
Browse to the .CAB file and hit "Select" then "OK"

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:25 am

Also for themes you need to have a hacked uxtheme.dll file as well.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

zealot004

Post by zealot004 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't know you could installing from the .inf file.

Kel's is a little harder to make work. Figured out Kel's inf file was compressed and expanded it from command prompt. After that, I tried installing it the same way as the others, but only parts of it loaded. The background and cursors installed, and from looking at display properties, the color scheme installed, but not the windows and buttons. So it defaults to the windows classic style, which sucks IMO.

No matter, I'm just going to install Kel's Visual Styles collections, sounds much easier, with the benefit of getting a ton of themes!

Thanks again to everyone!

zealot004

Post by zealot004 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:15 pm

Ok, downloaded Kels Favs Pack. Extracted it using WinRAR. Double-clicked the Favs.exe file and seemingly nothing happens. Checked the resources folder and now there are several more folders for all the new themes, but no added .theme files and nothing new in Themes in Display Properties.

If it makes a difference, I used UXTheme Multi Patcher 4.0 to change the uxtheme file.

Am I missing a step?

Sorry for the trouble guys, and thanks again for all the help!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Kels visual styles does not have any .theme files... You have to select the difrent styles from the Apperance tab

zealot004

Post by zealot004 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Ok, I got it now. BTW, I checked there and it was the same as before. Figured out it was the UXTheme Multi Patcher that didn't work right. Used the manual method from belchfire.net and it works perfectly now.

Thank you everyone for the help and for such great themes and addins!