Newbie alert - Post #1 comments and questions

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Paul_K

Newbie alert - Post #1 comments and questions

Post by Paul_K » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:31 pm

I hope to avoid the sarcastic comments that other guy just wrote, so here goes:
I used the Integrator and the latest Update Pack; chose a destination directory named "Integrated"; no Addon Packs; and successfully created an .iso file. Somehow, the .iso file didn't wind-up being created in the location where I thought I specified, but I found it and burned it to CD.

The only "problem" I encountered was caused by my Norton Anti-virus program, during the .iso creation - yawn - take a nap - finally got smart and disabled the AV and things flew along fine, thereafter. I may have cured that by configuring the AV program to ignore that directory, next time.

I wanted my first time to be successful, so I didn't include any of the Addon Packs. So now, since I have the integrated files in the "Integrated" directory, can I run the Integrator again and not specify an Update Pack, but do specify the Addon packs that I want to integrate? Or do I need to delete the contents of the "Integrated" directory and start over fresh?
I did find the list of "Member-submitted Addons & Update Packs".

I was browsing the messages and at one time I think I saw a post that said something about Windows Installer version 3.1 should be integrated before Internet Explorer 7 was integrated - or something like that. So, are there pre-requisites for some of the Addon Packs, since I don't see any mention of prerequisites on the page listing the Addon Packs.
The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do - Ted Nelson

grief

Post by grief » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:42 pm

i'm not sure if you slipstreamed windows service pack 2 before you used the integrator. heres a good guide. (if your setup cd already had sp2 then ignore this)

the addons that you can use with the integrator are in the first forum listed on the index. its a subforum under it and theres a stickied post that has a list of them :)

RyanVM.net Discussion Board Forum Index -> Update Pack Discussion -> Update Pack Addons

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Windows Installer version 3.1 is included in the update pack, you can now intergrate addons to your "Integrated" directory.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

GasPipeJimmy
Banned

Post by GasPipeJimmy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:03 pm

You should be able to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 by using the installer also.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:23 am

You can simply add addons to your directory by selecting only the integrated directory as your source and nothing as the destination. Or the same location for source and destination. Then the integrator will integrate to your currently integrated source. Hope that makes since.... didn't sound like it when I wrote it. lol
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Paul_K

Post by Paul_K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:27 am

grief wrote:i'm not sure if you slipstreamed windows service pack 2...(if your setup cd already had sp2 then ignore this)

the addons that you can use with the integrator are in the first forum listed on the index. its a subforum under it and theres a stickied post that has a list of them :)

RyanVM.net Discussion Board Forum Index -> Update Pack Discussion -> Update Pack Addons
Thanks for the reply. My CD does have SP2 slipstreamed. In the past I used a program called AutoStreamer to create it.

As far as getting to the Update Pack Addons sub-forum, is it normal to have to go to the 'Select a forum' box at the extreme bottom left of the page and select it from there? I was looking for some link near the top of the Update Pack Discussion page, for a quick link to any sub-forums.
I did find that Update Pack Addons page before, and had saved a bookmark to it because I couldn't see any direct link there - before I found it in the 'Select a forum' box at the bottom of the page.
The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do - Ted Nelson

Paul_K

Post by Paul_K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:28 am

yumeyao wrote:Windows Installer version 3.1 is included in the update pack, you can now intergrate addons to your "Integrated" directory.
Thank you :D

Paul_K

Post by Paul_K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:32 am

Siginet wrote:You can simply add addons to your directory by selecting only the integrated directory as your source and nothing as the destination. Or the same location for source and destination. Then the integrator will integrate to your currently integrated source. Hope that makes since.... didn't sound like it when I wrote it. lol
I guess I must not have gotten as much sleep as I needed, because it makes perfect sense to me....LOL
Thanks to all of you, for the advice :lol:
Paul