Removal of some components in XP CD

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
chetri

Removal of some components in XP CD

Post by chetri » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:11 am

By the integrating addons in the install cd the size of the cd goes beyond 700 mb thus it doesnot fit in the CD media. :idea: thus to bring down the size it have remove some contents which i think is useless and commonnly none use them. like TOUR, LANGUAGES, INTERNET GAMES, ACCESIBILITY FEATURES, some unneeded FONTS, CURSORS, etc.

There are some contents which are directly remove(?), [So which are dirctly remove. & which can't. If not Directly remove than how to achieve this.

Again through NLIte it can achieve but I am not interested with NLITE.

Looking forward for valuable suggestions.
`

I made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it short.
--------Blaise Pascal

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:10 pm

There are some removal addons you can find of the forum. Be careful when removing things from your disk. If you remove too much you can get problems. The main removal addons I use are:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=winntupg
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

chetri

Post by chetri » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

@ Sig
Siginet wrote:There are some removal addons you can find of the forum. Be careful when removing things from your disk. If you remove too much you can get problems. The main removal addons I use are:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=winntupg
I have go throuh the trhead but still I am confused. The confusions are-
In The thread Bhismar wrote
Bhishmar wrote:One Quick question to Siginet or other experts here.

These removal addons (WINNTUPG & LANG). Can they be integrated (simultaneously) along with the UpdatePack? Or this addons must be applied in a separate session after completing the UpgradePack first.(Two Step process)?
Thanks
not answered yet.

2. Is the adoon remains in the disk or after integrating the addon itself removed?
3. Is the removal addons removes the default language support?
4. I found there are a bunch of removal addons for each in this forum but if i want it manually then what should i do? (NOT only to SIG but also to all experts here)

ps. i have yet not Integrated the Removal addons. So i have not much know about this(if it cabable language as well as keyboard)
Thanks again

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:07 pm

there is always the other utility who name shall not be spoken.........

(sorry, took the neices to Harry Potter last night)

chetri

Post by chetri » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:40 pm

ooo I am the master of nothing

@ sig
I just downloaded your removal addon look at the entries.ini, there you have placed the files which have to remove under [obsolete_files].
Can i able to remove by this method the other files to like TOUR, Accesibility Feature, Internet Games, regional keyboard supports, PINBALL game, SOME CUrsor files, uneeded drivers .......................

one foolish Q( :?: ) when the installer copies the files to the disk then what happens when it finds the non existant of the file??.
Again the OS installer reads from a file (??) which should be copied to the disk so is that line refering the file will also get erased?
`

--------Blaise Pascal

chetri

Post by chetri » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:54 pm

Sorry to bring out this topic as a lot of dicussion was goin on this thread but i got puzzuled one addon for esch file :? http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2636

I have to try somewhat else :idea:
`

--------Blaise Pascal

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:47 pm

The winntupg removal addon will remove all of the upgrade files. It can be used with or without the updatepack. Same with the LANG removal addon. You will still have your default language of your disk. It has nothing to do with the keyboard languages.

Vier's Removal addons are great because not only do they remove things... but they also create an addon for you so that you can put back things you removed. Just make sure you move all of the new addons it creates at the root of your destination. ;)

I don't use many removal addons myself though. I use my disks on customers computers... and I don't beleive in removing things from their computers. But the Winntupg and lang stuff is never needed on customer computers.
there is always the other utility who name shall not be spoken.........
There is nothing wrong wioth mentioning "nLite" here. ;) It is just not supported here. If you read chetri's post he specifically states he wishes not to use nLite or I would have reccommended nLite for the removal job. Because nLite is probably the best program for removing things.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

chetri

Post by chetri » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:12 am

newsposter wrote:there is always the other utility who name shall not be spoken.........
Siginet wrote: There is nothing wrong wioth mentioning "nLite" here. It is just not supported here. If you read chetri's post he specifically states he wishes not to use nLite
Yes I mean as Siginet Says.
Vier's Removal addons are great because not only do they remove things... but they also create an addon for you so that you can put back things you removed. Just make sure you move all of the new addons it creates at the root of your destination.
As regarding Siginet Rmoval Addon is Straightforward( ie. if i wish to not remove desired lang than just modify the entries.ini)
but regarding Vier's removal addon i found a exe file in all and every removal addon.
I try this exe file to decompile with AUTOIT but cant decompile it.
Again I am going to some Offtopic here regarding vier ADDON "createuraddon" Please refer this
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56946#56946 waiting to hear from "VIER".

. In fact I am not to do job trough any addon but want to directly remove from the source.
Though i am comfused for some applications reside in Source. (i.e. Dependancy of files).
One question again What are the changes should to made in which file that have the definations of the to be copied in the HDD during installation?
`

--------Blaise Pascal

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:35 pm

The files that usually need to be changed when removing files are, txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. Sometimes svcpack.inf and sysoc.inf as well. If I remember correctly I codded Obsolete_Files to delete the file and remove the instances from txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. ;) There used to be a bunch of other removal addons but I lost all of them during a host change. :(

I may have had a user submit them for me to post again so I will look into it. ;) Just give me a little time.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

chetri

Post by chetri » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanx Siginet.
You gave me valuable tips.
`

--------Blaise Pascal