[split] Discussion thread about MrsP's nuke policy

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:55 am

Thanks MrsP.. will give this one a shot..

on a different note.. how bout just locking the thread with your older addons.. instead of nuking em.. unless you need the hosting space back..

reason i ask is, say for example, the winaudit addon.. i posted several times in that thread and did indeed download it.. 16 months ago.. but i didnt even SEE an update till i saw the thread when you nuked it.. (as the addon worked, i didnt bother getting a new one since that time)

you are a addon-makin monster! lots and lots of em and i musta missed that one.. didnt mean that i never used it, just meant that i hadnt grabbed a new one since then!

thanks for listening to me ramble

TechnoHunter

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 am

TechnoHunter wrote:on a different note.. how bout just locking the thread with your older addons.. instead of nuking em.. unless you need the hosting space back..
It's simple deductive reasoning Dear Watson.....

Consider that the following equation is true:
I will not share my addons unless they meet my very best (current) standard + I will not update my old inferior quality releases to my new standard unless there is some evidence that my efforts to share them have had value = old addons that are not worthy of being updated will not be left intact.
Then what would make sense about this circular reasoning:
Old addons that are not worthy of being updated due to lack of member responses + should be left intact on the server + with the thread being locked = so that members are no longer able to respond to the release because the thread is locked?
And how about this for a deduction in cause and effect:
Old addons that were deleted because the lurking leechers did not have the kindness in their heart to say thank you + should be left intact on the server for them to continue leeching without gratitude = we should generously continue to donate our bandwidth for free to those who have shown no generosity of spirit in return.
So essentially I deduce that your real question to me is along the lines of:
Why don't you just continue to donate your work for free and your time for free and your bandwidth for free and make it even easier for the people who do not appreciate your work and your time and your bandwidth to take you for granted.
I dunno about you, but that sounds to me like the "job description" of a long-suffering mother of a spoiled brat.

:rolleyes:

striker80

[split] Discussion thread about MrsP's nuke policy

Post by striker80 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:02 am

Hi Mrs Peel,

I was wondering why you are getting rid of bunches of your older apps? I know you want to punish those who never reply or say thanks, (that's understandable, and no problem with me). But it's such a waste! Couldn't you just mark them as [ARCHIVED] with a note inside, "I will NEVER update this app again, due to lack of public interest, etc." Then just LOCK THE THREAD, so there would be no more comments in it, (so they could still download the app, but not gripe, or complain, or ask for a new version, etc). That way if the app still answers a need for a few of us, once-in-a-while, we could still download it, (many old freeware apps are just as good, or better than new ones). If you could do that, then you wouldn't have to mess with it ever again, or throw something good away either.

Also would it be possible for you to post a permanent list, (sticky), some place that has all your apps, with links to download. I know that's asking alot, but that's the main thing this whole web site lacks, is creator lists, (there are some, but not for all the creators). It sure would make it better to find stuff, rather than doing a search, or checking through old threads, etc., (or looking in one of the "everyone" lists that have a bunch of broke download links).

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:01 pm

not to hit a dead horse ( already asked bout this myself with MrsP ) but i second the question!

i honestly had NO CLUE bout how many addons you had made Mrs P.. half the ones in the list today that said nuked i didnt even know you had made! searching the forums is all well and good but dang, with all the different titles ( release, updated, nuked, recoded...) it takes FOREVER to get the results for your addons! and no, a Mrs P author search is bleeding useless as well since you answer people in threads not your own :|

not a major gripe but PLEASE update that list of your addons (as mentioned in another thread of yours, you say you have one) before nuking anything else!!!

TechnoHunter

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 pm

about nuked addons....

How about "orphaning" them, handing them over to someone who wants to maintain them.

We've got a polite agreement here not to poach on each others work, maybe some kind of formal, polite handoff might be the way to go.

one7

Post by one7 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:51 pm

This looks like a great tool... thanks to Mrs_Peel for packaging and updating this, I will be adding it to my next ISO... much appreciated!

As to the topic being discussed for several posts above me, I will say that, as a new member I too was disappointed to discover here an addon that appealed to me, only to see that the download link had been removed.

I sent a PM to Mrs_Peel thanking her for her efforts and asking if there was any way I could access one of them, but am sorry to say that I have not received a response from her since I sent the message a week ago, though she posts here daily.

While I can understand Mrs_Peel's frustration, this kind of behavior isn't very welcoming to newcomers. Just because we weren't here early enough, a veteran poster takes her toys and goes home...while leaving the thread up as a tease (I'd gladly have posted a thank-you, but I wasn't here prior to this "policy" being enacted, and my time machine is currently in the shop. Thankfully, the rest of the contributors here do not take the same approach, which would, of course, only lead to a closed, private, and dying community.) I also find it ironic that an uploader that posts repeatedly that nobody thanks her subsequently refuses to acknowledge a new member who took the time to send her a message doing that very thing, and politely inquiring about being able to download a "nuked" addon.

The posters above me posit some very reasonable solutions if Mrs_Peel doesn't feel her work is appreciated. At the least, the threads could be deleted, but they are left visible on the board, potentially appearing to some to be an attempt to punish everyone in a classic passive-aggressive manner. Alas, it could lead some to speculate whether the real issue is someone seeking to satisfy deep emotional needs. Regardless, it is a shame, and it certainly does not present the forum to newcomers in the best light with site leadership (a moderator) behaving like this.

striker80

Post by striker80 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 pm

Sorry I stirred this shit up. I think I don't want to post on this web site anymore.

bye.

one7

Post by one7 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:13 pm

Wow. No response to anyone from Mrs_peel, but it gets its own thread, giving the appearance of greater importance.

site moderator: "It's been _x_ days since somebody 'effin' said thank you, you guys won't satisfy my deep-seated emotional insecurities, fine, I'll punish everyone who ever comes here again!"
Us (new members): "Thank you for your hard work, we appreciate it, can we please download your files?, etc, etc."
site moderator: "NO! NEVER! This is not open for discussion! You all suffer!!"

MrsP includes in every single post about wanting recognition and appreciation, and when she receives what she asks for, it is ignored--indeed, flatly rejected--from those whose mortal sin is that they weren't here when she decided to enforce the policy of taking her toys away and taunting everyone about it. It begs the question whether this is about addons at all, as it appears more an issue related to self-importance and maintaining a sense of control through punishing and depriving others... even touting it in bold neon type on every single post.

MrsP, you're fortunate that the rest of the contributors here don't take the same approach... think of where that logically leads! Turn away the new members who would be more than happy to become involved and contribute, the veterans "nuke" all their posts... what's left? A small group of "insiders" trading files in their private club...but who will make the addons, if nobody other than a handful of folks is there to say thank you? Good luck with that, it logically seems an absurd approach to me.

Therapy may be a better use of time than creating addons for some folks. I think I'm with Striker. This is not healthy.

one7

Post by one7 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Mrs Peel wrote: So essentially I deduce that your real question to me is along the lines of:
Why don't you just continue to donate your work for free and your time for free and your bandwidth for free and make it even easier for the people who do not appreciate your work and your time and your bandwidth to take you for granted.
I dunno about you, but that sounds to me like the "job description" of a long-suffering mother of a spoiled brat.

:rolleyes:
When people DO appreciate your work and your time and your bandwidth and do NOT take you for granted = You decide they aren't even worthy of a response and act in a manner that basically says **** off.

There are many things one could say THAT job description sounds like.

You should ask yourself what it is you REALLY want--because, as indicated by your behavior and response (and/or lack thereof) thanks and appreciation obviously aren't it.

roweezy

HEY MRSP!!!

Post by roweezy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 pm

how bout u start a free blog with all your releases?
past, present, future.
similar to roguespear's, except:
use a free filehoster like divshare or ftp2share for all releases. one where they keep it forever as long as its actively downloaded. whatever links expire due to inactivity, let it die/nuke.
forum is optional, but i think roguespear has one cuz he consults and whatnot.
last but not least, plaster it with google ads, rake in the dough, who cares.

i applaud mrsp for not even dignifying the previous posts in this thread. thats all ima say bout that.