How to control the progs that run at first sys bootup?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
pg.manq

How to control the progs that run at first sys bootup?

Post by pg.manq » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:38 am

Hey guys,
On first boot up my computer gets overwhelmed by almost all progs that have the option of Running at StartUp set by default. I would only like the firewall and antivirus to run. How can i do that? i employ RVMintegrator and wpi!

Its just the apps that i Install. eg. gtalk, ymsgr etc.

Note: WPI gives the option for a choice of softwares to install. A. might not be installed while B. might be installed.

Thanks in Advance.

And before i exit, thanks to all those who have been churning out some really nice addons. Including all the support u guys provide at this forum. Bravo Bravo.

Cheers
Last edited by pg.manq on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:47 am

Most such programs put values in the following registry key:

Code: Select all

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
You'll have to figure out how to remove those values before they're acted upon or convince the addon creators to prevent their creations from adding them.

I don't normally like to toot my own horn, but my Yahoo Messenger SI addon is already neutered in this way. I presently have no plans to port it to WPI, though.

pg.manq

Post by pg.manq » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:33 pm

lol... thanks 5eraph. Will get to work on ur lead.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Re: How to control the progs that run at first sys bootup?

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 am

pg.manq wrote:On first boot up my computer gets overwhelmed by almost all progs that have the option of Running at StartUp set by default. I would only like the firewall and antivirus to run.
That has got to be one of my top five pet hates about windoze, and the utility I have been using for several years which solves the problem for me is Startup Delayer

I have an addon pack for that here which I just updated today.

Cheers and g'luck ;)