Help to remove some obsolete registry keys please

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Help to remove some obsolete registry keys please

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:52 pm

I've been googling around for a solution to this problem, but not finding much in the way of reliable advice, so I thought I would ask here to see if somebody can help me.

I have some obsolete keys in my registry under this root key, which regedit will not allow me to delete:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_UNLOCKERDRIVER4
Obviously it looks like I had an old version of Unlocker installed at some time and I did not uninstall it correctly, which leaves these keys behind.

I have read somewhere that it might be possible to boot into safe mode and you can directly delete registry keys which are labelled as "LEGACY" that way.

Could somebody confirm this please? Or perhaps suggest a safe alternative method to clean this out of my registry which doesn't require having to reinstall then re-uninstall the old Unlocker version again?

Thanks for reading!

techtype

Post by techtype » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Try this:

Use REGEDT32 instead of REGEDIT, and set Security on the

keys before deleting them (give Full Control to Everyone).

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:19 pm

OMG! OMG! OMG! Don't you just wanna kick yourself when the solution to a problem is such a SIMPLE one!!!

Thank you so so much for your speedy reply techtype!!! :D

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:53 am

there is also another way, by going to device manager and View > Show Hidden Devices,

under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, you will find all drivers installed by programs that do not control hardware.
This is a bit safer than playing with the registry.