is there a way to 'hide' of filter out someone?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
ccl0

is there a way to 'hide' of filter out someone?

Post by ccl0 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:37 pm

not sure if this is the right place to ask this, or if its even possible...but its becoming more and more frustrating. from time to time, i like to browse the update pack addons forum, to see if theres anything new and interesting/useful someone has come up with....

however, these days it seems like theres one person on there making a ton of posts/releases, which consequently knock down releases made by other people. the problem is also that the person making the majority of the releases...well lets just say that i've never once found a single thing useful or even gained enough interest by me to download and try. so (and i know its just my opinion) its clutter and makes the more useful things more difficult to find.

i'm not trying to bash this person, but just express my frustration about the whole thing and how its difficult for me to find something, or even go back and try to find some previous release/post someone else has made. i dont bookmark EVERY single thing i read... but maybe i'll have to start doing that?

or if someone could tell me if its possible to just somehow have a setting which would automatically filter out any posts/releases/topics made by this person?

thanks

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't believe phpBB v2.x has this capability without a mod. Your best bet for finding things is using the search function.

From what I've seen phpBB v3.x will have some sort of capability along these lines.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:32 pm

no settable 'twit bit' in phpBB???

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:57 pm

newsposter wrote:no settable 'twit bit' in phpBB???
Are you trying to say I am a 'twit'? :P

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:59 pm

PS @ ccl0: Maybe this page might help you ;)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:04 pm

First off, very subtle who you're talking about, ccl0 :rolleyes:

Second, there's a phpBB User Hide Firefox extension which works alright, but I'm not sure how well it'll do what you want vis a vis hiding threads started by your "anonymous user"
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 pm

nope, not at all.

Just educating the youngsters......

I remember the term being used as far back as (gasp!) 1987 just after the Arpanet was opened up to first universities, then corporations, then 'all comers'. Lots of newsreaders and even the old ascii-based dial-in BBS boards had twit bit capabilities.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:49 pm

i didnt want to step on anyone's toes and was trying not to offend :P

my other thought was maybe that, due to so many releases made by this person that... possibly this person could have their own separate forum...?

i could use the search function as well.. but some things i either forgot the name of, or (potentially) dont even know exist. i say potentially, because possibly those releases would be buried...

oh and does anyone happen to know the name of that User Hide Firefox extension" ? i might try that out and see if it works :)

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:13 pm

ccl0 wrote:does anyone happen to know the name of that User Hide Firefox extension" ? i might try that out and see if it works :)
Yes, please paste us a link Ryan, so I can user-hide all the members who complain about my addons :lol: :lol: :lol:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:39 pm

I don't see the extension floating around anymore, but apparently there's a Greasemonkey script which does it as well.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:51 pm

thats the one i found too.. but seems to have been released back in 2005 or something. i dont think its been updated since then. also from what i remember, it wouldnt really do anything except put an x where the person's name is. so lets say she has 25+ posts on the first page (which she actually does as of this typing). it would just be 25 little X marks. it would still be there, and i'd still have to wade through 8 or 9 or 10 pages to find something i was looking for..or at least that was my understanding of how it would work.

i really think mrs peel should have a section for her own. like one sticky with a cumulative list of all the releases. just the number or releases/and or updates seems to be overwhelming to be grouped with all the other general releases. maybe i'm the only one that has problems navigating through it all...
anyway, thats just my suggestion.

Zyx_Maiden

Post by Zyx_Maiden » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 pm

:shock: Sorry. As it seems that my answers to all the addons i've used for my last build as caused this problem... :oops:
If you see dinosaurs, stop using drugs. But, if you don't use drugs, GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:08 pm

ccl0 wrote:i really think mrs peel should have a section for her own. like one sticky with a cumulative list of all the releases. just the number or releases/and or updates seems to be overwhelming to be grouped with all the other general releases. maybe i'm the only one that has problems navigating through it all...
anyway, thats just my suggestion.
I know this thread is a little old, but I think thats a REALLY dumb idea! Sure, I don't want 99% of Mrs. Peels addons, but if I blocked them all or hid them away in a subforum I never visited, I wouldn't ever have found the ones of hers that I do use.

She does high quality work and a lot of people depend on her addons.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:11 pm

TJHart85 wrote:
I know this thread is a little old, but I think thats a REALLY dumb idea! Sure, I don't want 99% of Mrs. Peels addons, but if I blocked them all or hid them away in a subforum I never visited, I wouldn't ever have found the ones of hers that I do use.

thats funny. i didnt know that asking/suggesting for an OPTION to make the forums easier to read/navigate would be considered a 'dumb idea'.

i happen to think it would have the opposite effect. imagine having all her addons in one consolidated area specifically just for her? for people that like them/use them then they could POTENTIALLY find some from her that they didnt know existed. things get buried in the forums all the time (thats the whole point i'm trying to make).

also, how hard is it to look at http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/index.php ?? all the subforums are all laid out. if there was a forum labled 'peel's addons' you dont think people would be able to find it? :rolleyes:

oh and i never once made any comments about the quality of the work. i know many people find them useful. i however dont. and for others such as myself, that like to see what other people have released..well its much more difficult to find them due to the sheer quantity of those releases she puts out. seems like everything that the 'smaller guys' release just gets buried pretty quickly.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:08 pm

It is actually very simple to not look at Addons made by any specific member. You just look at the posters name next to the thread. No need for a mod to forum. That would be sort of silly. ;)

But I think it would be nice if someone coded a way for us to list all addons in a listview type of way. Meaning it would show the addon name in one column, The date it was made in another column, person who created it in a column... and so on. each column with an option to have the list sorted Ascending or descending.

That would be the perfect list.

actually I have a friend in mind who should be able to put something together. ;) I'll keep you all posted.

But I don't feel mrs Peels addons are useless. I actually am impressed with a lot of the work she has put into them and I think they are very reliable. But that is my opinion. And it's ok for you to have your opinion.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:49 pm

ccl0 wrote:
TJHart85 wrote:

thats funny. i didnt know that asking/suggesting for an OPTION to make the forums easier to read/navigate would be considered a 'dumb idea'.

i happen to think it would have the opposite effect. imagine having all her addons in one consolidated area specifically just for her? for people that like them/use them then they could POTENTIALLY find some from her that they didnt know existed. things get buried in the forums all the time (thats the whole point i'm trying to make).

also, how hard is it to look at http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/index.php ?? all the subforums are all laid out. if there was a forum labled 'peel's addons' you dont think people would be able to find it? :rolleyes:

oh and i never once made any comments about the quality of the work. i know many people find them useful. i however dont. and for others such as myself, that like to see what other people have released..well its much more difficult to find them due to the sheer quantity of those releases she puts out. seems like everything that the 'smaller guys' release just gets buried pretty quickly.
My apologies, I didn't mean to offend. What I was trying to say is that if I had the option to block out Mrs. Peels addons or shove them in a sub-forum and not look at them, I would have done so. If I had done this, I would have never seen a few of the addons that I now use in every install.

I didn't mean dumb to be insulting, although looking at it now, I can see why it would be taken that way. Hindsight is 20/20.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams