Service Pack 3?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
zzzz

Service Pack 3?

Post by zzzz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Anyone working on it now? (assume you're 1 of the beta tester that has the SP3 rc version)
Is there gonna be a program that integrates SP3 (well, the exe file from microsoft) onto the current SP2 disc?
THanks

mitsukai89

Post by mitsukai89 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:38 pm

search for nlite

redxii

Post by redxii » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:58 pm

Integrating SP3 is no different than integrating SP2 or SP1, so there shouldn't be any excuse that any program used to integrate SP2 isn't able to integrate SP3.

There's always the manual way.

Oron123
Location: In the tavern in the village of Fleur de lis near Calypso - StS

Post by Oron123 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:48 pm

Working on it or not, I suggest you wait for the final version of this pack.
Moreover, you can get that version of this pack even if you're not a beta tester.
An advice for life: Do not argue with people who have no knowledge.
They aren't aware of what they say/write and will drag you down to their level.
www.TecHappens.com

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:52 pm

there are reports that the current release of the XP SP3 beta pack from MSFT requires a NEW licensy key only available from MSFT. Your current key will not work. This is how MSFT is controlling who gets to actually use and play with the servie pack.

zzzz

Post by zzzz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:32 pm

yeah, that's what I'm talking about. there must be another way, it's changed since they stopped that autopatcher thing...

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:32 pm

When SP1 came out, some keys got broken when it got integrated into source. (You could still install it live without changing anything).

Same happened with SP2.

Did anyone really expect things to be different with SP3?

Granted, _if_ you have a legitimate key and _if_ you're already seriously pissed about the numbers of calls you've already made to M$ regarding thier keys and activations and etc, then maybe you need to figure out a workaround like anybody else would.

Otherwise, buck up and give M$ a call and get a new key that will work with SP3 installs (and likely SP2 installs as well) for little to no hassle. (And by little to no, I mean it comparitively, not literally or figuratively.)

I should also note (from my own experience) that installing SP3 on to a live system or telling it to integrate did not require having to enter or change an existing key.

I did have to make some changes to my unattended though to get it work when installing from said slipstreamed SP3 though. But seriously, it's like a revolution. Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:39 pm

The integrator has the capability of slipstreaming any ServicePack.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:34 am

Siginet wrote:The integrator has the capability of slipstreaming any ServicePack.
Providing that SP incorporates the capability to integrate/slipstream. The SP3 RC1 I downloaded from MU doesn't come as a single .exe (redistributable) file but a folder with hundreds of files/folders. I've read reports where the latest RC1 does not have the capability for integrating where the previous beta did.
As for the invalid-keys, Zacam's right. I'll bet M$ has been silently collecting product keys through their WGA program and compiling a list of suspect keys for exclusion in SP3.
We'll just have to wait and see.

redxii

Post by redxii » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:52 am

The express installs don't/never had slipstream capability. The XP SP3 "Network Install" (full file) does have the capability of being slipstreamed w/o third-party utilities.

Also, my retail key works during setup in XP SP3 RC1 and also OEM using OEM ACT.

DizzyDen

Post by DizzyDen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:14 am

The full download does incorporate the /integrate command line option.

It also has a new PID generator, causing some of the well known publicly available keys to no longer work to install SP3'd source using those keys.

Integrator does support SP3 as does DPbase, however DPbase cannot incorporate HDA support yet, so you will need to create your own addon/add it to update pack.

If you look a little further in, you will see that Ricktendo and myself have created UpdatePacks for SP3, so yes, we are trying to stay ahead of the game.

Also note, the current RC1 files are RELEASE CANDIDATES, therefore we really have no idea if you will be able to install the released version over it, if you will be able to do and upgrade over it, or if you will have to do a complete reinstall. Those of us testing it, are not concerned of any of those approaches, but it may be of concern to some here.
You Can't Get, If You Won't Give
YCGIYWG