Save Windows XP Pertition

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.

Should we abandom XP for VISTA

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:51 am

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Don't real care what OS is running on my PC
No votes

Total votes: 32

masterm

Save Windows XP Pertition

Post by masterm » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 am

I have been using XP from its first release date and think it still is a great OS. Unfortunately MS wants to force us to jump ship and run the bloated resource eating Vista.

I came across this link http://www.savexp.com and did my bit to help force MS to extend the cut off date (30 June) to stop distribution of XP.

Go ahead and add your name. Power to the Masses!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 am

While I may tend to agree, petitions alone aren't likely to change Microsoft's mind. If you really want to make your voice heard, keep buying PCs with XP preinstalled. Microsoft will listen to their OEMs and retailers.
Microsoft wrote:We're aware of it but are listening first and foremost to feedback we hear from partners and customers about what makes sense based on their needs.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:07 am

everyone kept saying... just wait for sp1... then vista will be the best. :rolleyes: I see no difference on my laptop which is running Vista with SP1. It's still a pretty peice of s!ht.

Anyone else had issues with deleteing, moving, or copying files... even in sp1. It almost seems like vista is still deleting files when it says it is finished deleting them. So in some of my scripts that delete a directory then copy files to the same directory I get copy errors because files have not finished deleting. I have never had that sort of an issue in any OS except vista. I used to have the oposite happen... where vista would take forever to copy, move or delete files. I just hope microsoft doesn't ruin XP when they release SP3 just to make Vista seem better.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:25 pm

I dont think XP can be saved, it is so stable now that the public have no real need to upgrade hardware therefore PC sells will fall.

I think you will find most people that buy a PC with Vista installed have no idea that they are actually downgrading.

Its all about money - shame on you Microsoft.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Votes says it all :)

xzourska

Post by xzourska » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:57 am

I agree with 5eraph. MS is not going to change it's mind because individual customers want to save XP. It is pure business so if you demand OEMs like Dell, Gate Way, HP, or some other large manufacture to demand another life extension for XP then it might happen. I know this is common sense at least to me, but I think that Vista has some merits but XP will be on my system until something is able to fully replace it due to compatibility reasons.

Disclaimer: Haven't tried Vista on my system since public beta. Not a good experience. Waiting for most major problems to be solved before getting it.
Opteron 165, ASUS A8N-SLI, 2GB ram, 8800GT, (1) 74GB Raptor, (3) 250GB Segates.

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 pm

I run 64-bit XP...all your talk of SP1 for Vista and XP SP3 means nothing to me :)

but honestly when you consider the percentage of businesses that flat-out refuse to use vista, isnt it more likely MS is just bluffing? if demand for xp stays high enough, and people/companies can hold off on switching to vista, it would really just be a matter of time before MS brought back xp to appease their stock holders.

buletov

Post by buletov » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Maybe they should simply concentrate on Windows 7 and put the Vista in the same bargain bin where Windows Me has ended up...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:52 pm

up until about 2 years ago, i was still using windows 2000. i loved that os. i hated xp when it first came out, but now i guess its 'ok'