directx10

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
tomsta

directx10

Post by tomsta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:19 pm

hey all im new to this im wonderin is directx10 available on xp or do i have to get vista if not can some send me the link to get it or the add-on im really stuck and do not wanna go to vista

bober101

Post by bober101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:48 pm

next time u can post in addon discussion section of forum, dx 10 is for vista.even if it would be available for xp the OS is not made to implement the dx10 technology.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:38 pm

bober101 wrote:next time u can post in addon discussion section of forum, dx 10 is for vista.even if it would be available for xp the OS is not made to implement the dx10 technology.
first part, right.

seond part, right again.

third part, wrong. There is NOTHING about DX10 that would preclude MSFT porting it to XP, Win2k, the server OS distros, Linux, or even Win95 if they wanted to.

DX10 on Vista is strictly a carrot to try and encourage people to keep up the ca$h flow at MSFT by buying Vista.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:06 pm

xp and dx 10 is subject of alot of debate, using dxapps (games etc)and acctually using the enhancements in conjonction with ure dx10 capable hardware is 2 differents things in my opinion.
XP theme source patcher

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:10 pm

newsposter wrote:
third part, wrong. There is NOTHING about DX10 that would preclude MSFT porting it to XP, Win2k, the server OS distros, Linux, or even Win95 if they wanted to.

except for the fact that it would take a HUGE amount of time, money and resources. so much so, that it would not be worth expending all those resources

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:56 pm

[RANT]
Allow me to play the devil's advocate. :D
bober101 wrote:dx 10 is for vista.even if it would be available for xp the OS is not made to implement the dx10 technology.
Strictly speaking, Windows XP was made for DirectX 8.1; that's what was included with XP RTM. DirectX 9 was backported as far as Windows 98SE. Why should DirectX 10 be any different?
newsposter wrote:There is NOTHING about DX10 that would preclude MSFT porting it to XP, Win2k, the server OS distros...
Except for Microsoft's insistence that the enhanced video driver model is part of DirectX 10. I believe the new driver model would be more integral to the stability of Vista than the performance of DirectX, [sarcasm]but I am no programmer so what do I know?[/sarcasm] ;)
ccl0, in response to newsposter's quote above, wrote:except for the fact that it would take a HUGE amount of time, money and resources. so much so, that it would not be worth expending all those resources
That didn't seem to keep Falling Leaf Systems from attempting it. They may have given up for now, but maybe they were on to something.
newsposter wrote:DX10 on Vista is strictly a carrot to try and encourage people to keep up the ca$h flow at MSFT by buying Vista.
I agree with you, newsposter. Apparently, so does Jeremy Reimer of Ars Technica.
Jeremy Reimer wrote:This leaves only marketing reasons for the decision. This is not the first time Microsoft has made an arbitrary choice to require a certain operating system to play one of its games.
[/RANT]
Last edited by 5eraph on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:22 pm

OpenGL runs on what, every single RISC and x86/64 Unix/Linux distro, every release of MacOS since late OS/8, and every MSFT OS since the Win32 interface was deployed. It also runs on PDAs, cell phones, TI and HP graphing calculators, and 'internet pads' of every hardware and OS architecture you could imagine.

OpenGL is supporting the parallel development of a completely open-source implementation called Mesa.

I doubt that the OpenGL Foundation has even a fraction of the resources that MSFT could put to a universal port of DX.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:40 pm

5eraph u may be no programmer but ure a mod, can this topic be moved to its appropriate location...lol,its hard to be convinced of people's arguments or staments when were tryign to speculate on themes thats arent necessary anyone speciality.so ill go do some drinking now.
XP theme source patcher

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:57 pm

An addon link was requested, so it was posted in the correct subforum.
tomsta wrote:...is directx10 available on xp... can some send me the link to get... the add-on...
Admittedly, the conversation got sidetracked. Unfortunately, we have no subforum specifically for the discussion of addons. General Discussion will have to do.

BTW, my [RANT] and [sarcasm] tags are exclusive to Windows Pissedoff, Irate Edition. Backporting to earlier OSes has resulted in cynicism and spontaneous combustion, and is therefore not recommended. ;)

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:06 pm

5eraph wrote:
ccl0, in response to newsposter's quote above, wrote:except for the fact that it would take a HUGE amount of time, money and resources. so much so, that it would not be worth expending all those resources
That didn't seem to keep Falling Leaf Systems from attempting it. They may have given up for now, but maybe they were on to something.

doesnt that just prove my point? that it just was not worth the time or trouble/investment to make it happen?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:02 pm

Perhaps, ccl0. My point was that, for Falling Leaf Systems, it was worth the trouble to at least try. That's more than can be said for Microsoft.
Last edited by 5eraph on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:53 pm

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see DX10 games running quite well under Wine by this time next year. The delicious irony behind that is that Linux will become the most compatible platform available from which one can play PC-based games (DOS - > Win 9x - > Vista).

Personally, if I want to play a game I reach for my PS2 or Wii (soon will include a PS3). I really have one major vice in the computer gaming world and it kills me to admit that it's a Microsoft game no less. Flight Simulator.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:40 pm

If you like FSX you really need to try X-Plane (www.x-plane.com).

FSX flys toy airplanes that 'look' like the real thing.

X-Plane uses actual flight elements, down to such detail as properly functioning instrument panels. Their weather and scenery detail is so good that you get 'micro-weather' along flight paths, cities, and airfields. This physical realism extends to spaceflight as well as properly simulated flight on Mars (!!!).

It's also approved by the FAA for VFR, IFR, and ATP training/certification because it is so precise. Several companies use stock, unmodified x-plane to drive their full-motion FAA approved simulators.

The fan-boy community is quite large and contributes a lot of very nice aircraft and scenery, much of which is free, some for sale.

Have a look at the YouTube videos posted here:

YouTube search query link

We now return y'all to the properly desciplined thread......

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 am

My bet is that Microsoft made it incompatible for no good reason but more $$$$$$$$$

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:05 am

At this point my post is redundant, but I'll post it anyway.

I'm sure MS was and is fully capable of making DX 10 for XP. It would take an awful lot of pressure for them to cave in and actually do it, though.

We're lucky enough that they're actually completing SP3 for XP and didn't pull an Update Rollup as they did instead of SP5 for 2000. After all, Windows 2000 went from RTM to SP4 in less than three and a half years and version 2 of Update Rollup 1 for 2000 SP4 was released less than six years after 2000 RTM.