Windows XP SP3 RTM Schedule & Updates!

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
MrNxDmX

Windows XP SP3 RTM Schedule & Updates!

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 pm

techarp.com posted some info about SP3's release date.
After we broke the story on the release of Windows Vista Service Pack 1, we now have updated news and more details of the long-awaited Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. Microsoft has also made some changes to when and how Windows XP Service Pack 3 will be released. Here are the details...

1. Windows XP Service Pack 3 will contain hotfixes and updates released since Windows XP SP2. It will also include an expanded set of product keys for Windows XP Professional that were originally introduced in Windows XP SP2c.

2. Microsoft clarified that there will not be any integrated SP3 release for Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet Edition. That means you won't be able to buy or obtain a complete Windows XP Media Center Edition / Tablet Edition SP3 CD. In addition, users of Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows XP Tablet Edition will only be able to update to Service Pack 3 through Windows Update.

3. All languages will now be released in two waves. Earlier, Microsoft said that languages support for Windows XP Service Pack 3 will be released in three waves. What was previously identified as wave 2 and 3 have now been combined into a single wave 2.

4. Microsoft has also delayed RTM for Windows XP Service Pack 3 to provide sufficient time to incorporate feedback from the beta testers. (In other words, they can't make their original deadline!)

Due to the changes in language releases and Windows XP SP3 RTM's release, here's the updated schedule.
Read more: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=521

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for sharing the news. Once again, XP MCE and Tablet users are left to hacking and slashing to integrate their installation CDs as best as possible.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:03 pm

And, now crn.com states that, sp3 relase at next monday, that's 24th of March.
More info on source: http://www.crn.com/software/206904757

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:40 pm

I followed the above link, downloaded the .torrent, and started that download using uTorrent.

It took over four hours to download the 528+Mb file. When that was done I found I then had to extract the .ISO image that appeared to have been created as part of the download itself.

Inspecting the .ISO image with ISOBuster showed it appeared to be a 651+MB WinXP w/SP3 CD bootable image ready to be burned to a CD. I have not, as yet, burned that image to a CD.

I was expecting this download to be the SP3 update, not an image for a CD. Anyone know why it was done this way as opposed to the SP3 update? :rolleyes:

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:31 pm

What above link!?!?!?!? :?

Edit: Ah, you must be talking about the link in the post http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71790#71790.

So someone integrated SP3 into an XP CD and then seeded the result.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:34 pm

The Channelweb article above links to mininova, a warez site, roirraW "edor".

You shouldn't be surprised to find pirated ISOs at a warez site, ChiefZeke. ;)

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:17 am

Ah, I see!

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:47 am

I've played the the previous builds...I'll wait for M$ to go final. :rolleyes:
No warez for me.
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

XIII

Post by XIII » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:01 am

MrNxDmX wrote:And, now crn.com states that, sp3 relase at next monday, that's 24th of March.
That's a date I have seen quite some time ago.

Is it still valid then?
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:43 pm

5eraph wrote:The Channelweb article above links to mininova, a warez site, roirraW "edor".

You shouldn't be surprised to find pirated ISOs at a warez site, ChiefZeke. ;)
Had no idea that site was a pirate or performing illegal things. :oops:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm guessing you've never heard of suprnova or The Pirate Bay either. J/K ;)

Really, I'm kinda shocked that a warez link slipped past the editors of a news site. Granted, it's a news site I've never heard of before, but still...

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:45 am

Sorry to kill your thunder and i could be wrong but there was a " windows xp sp3" released a long time ago by some guy with the name ammit talking or something. It was sp2 with a whole bunch of theming mods and some extra stability patches not released by microsoft. It was a very stable build and i ran it for months after changing it to my serial using the changer. This could be the one and if it is you are out of luck for it is not sp3 but a mere guess at what sp3 might be like.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:47 am

Amit Talkin's releases are not related to y.a.b.'s. They're different people, radically different releases.

Further warez discussion will force me to lock this thread.

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:28 am

5eraph wrote:Amit Talkin's releases are not related to y.a.b.'s. They're different people, radically different releases.

I will clarify that it wasn't warez for i changed the key to my own licensed key that i purchased. I was running a properly licensed copy of windows xp professional.

corona2k

Post by corona2k » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:49 am

I wonder when they will provide SP3 for Arabic and MUI users.
Image Image

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:47 am

The Creator wrote:
5eraph wrote:Amit Talkin's releases are not related to y.a.b.'s. They're different people, radically different releases.

I will clarify that it wasn't warez for i changed the key to my own licensed key that i purchased. I was running a properly licensed copy of windows xp professional.
BULLSHIT!

Any and I repeat ANY version of windows downloaded from a non-official MS site, ESPECIALLY if it has been heavily moddified. It doesn't matter a hill of fucking beans if you used your own key or not it is still illegal!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:54 am

I'm not going to argue the legality or morality of downloading questionable software except to say that you can never be sure of what you're getting unless it can be verified by file hash or digital signature. Even these things can be forged, although it's still computationally unfeasible to do so with MD5 and higher level cryptographic hashes.

We'll find out soon enough if today's rumored release date is accurate. A new thread can be started for it in any case.

:lock:

EDIT [2008/03/25 02:33 UTC]: Apparently not. I can't find it, at least.