Best Virtual Machine program to use?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:04 pm

I did use Virtual PC in the past, but after a major problem with the 2007 version last year where it appeared to not provide any means of uninstalling it afterwards, meaning my attempts to try and manually remove everything as per various guides on the net caused me to somehow kill off my internet connection on the comp beyond repair, requiring me to reinstall XP all over again....... I'm not too sure if I can trust it anymore.

VMware might be an alternative, except I remember from a previous installation it tended to bloat your PC up a lot (and unecessarily) by installing various services you probably don't need and what not.

How good is VirtualBox, I wonder?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:35 pm

I have recently started using virtualbox and am very impressed with it. :)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Virtual Box is much faster to load system. It does have a few shortcomings depending on your intended use. It's not simple to network. It doesn't handle audio files on CD. 32 bit color is only about 27 bit actually. Works fine for testing slipstreamed programs and most programs not requiring 32 bit color. Can't rip music from audio CD.
Joe

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:54 pm

I haven't used Virtual Box but I've heard it recommended several times so it sounds like it's worth a try.

I use VMWare Workstation. I think its emulation is noticeably faster, more complete and full of features than Virtual PC. I used to use Virtual PC v5.1 before Microsoft bought it, because I thought it was faster back then.

You are correct about the services, that it does install some, I think having to do with networking. I haven't always been happy about that part of it, but the rest of it does the job so well I'm willing to put up with it.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 pm

I use vmware till a long time. I can map virtual disks, drag&drop in virtual macines, also network & shares works great. Used virtual box once and disliked. Have no idea about microsoft virtual pc.

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:41 am

I have had good luck with parallels over at http://www.parallels.com/en/products/wo ... m=homepage . It does the job for me. You could also look at xen as an alternative to virtual box if you are looking for another free option.