Disk Imaging, Sysprep and driver issue

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
sayeds

Disk Imaging, Sysprep and driver issue

Post by sayeds » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:28 am

Hi All

At work my boss wants me to create one standard disk image of a completely setup XP system that will function on multiple different models of PC all manuactured by HP.

I have done quite a bit of research on Microsoft's Sysprep utility, which is used by manufacturers for this sort of thing.

To use in conjunction with the sysprep utility there is an unattended file to be created 'Sysprep.inf'. The structure of this file is exactly the same as 'winnt.sif'.

The problem with one standard image however is drivers.

The suggested method by microsoft is to include in the unattended section of the file the following entry
[Unattended]
OemPnpDrivers="%systemdrive%\Driver_Path\audio";"%systemdrive%\Driver_Path\chipset\"

and so on and so forth.

I have tried this with a drivers folder located on the windows drive containing the relative subfolders with the related drivers.

However when the minisetup phase of the sysprep is executing it does not seem to be perform the OemPnpDrivers task. The drivers don't install.

Help please! :?
Last edited by sayeds on Mon May 05, 2008 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 am

You can use nLite to add drivers to yours install CD, for one or for all yours machines, and/or you can use DriverPacks BASE from Driverpacks site to all the drivers you want.
On Driverpacks site you will find and drivers for yours machines.
Last edited by vmanda on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sayeds

Post by sayeds » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:43 am

Thanx for the quick response. Although what you are suggesting does work with installing from the windows cd, it doesn't however, work when sysprep reads the i386 source copied to the local disk for some reason. It doesn't read the driver.cab archive that nlite and the other dirver packs alter.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 am

I allways use unnatended install , not Sysprep.
Anyway, take a look at Driverpacks Base forum.
Last edited by vmanda on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

sayeds

Post by sayeds » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:55 am

Yes it is an unattended process, but I think you're missing something.
This is not a windows installation I'm working on. I am preparing a machine that is fully set up and configured with all its software already, to be cloned to a machine that has different driver requirementsbut which requires the exact same software. Think of Ghost Imaging and Zenworks Imaging

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:08 am

For backup purpose I use an Windows Live CD ( maded with PE Builder) and a tool named Drive Spnapsot (v1.38) or, a simple zip file that contain all content from drive C:, without Recycler, System Volume Information folders, and without swap file.
If you want only for imaging purpose, I think that you can do an install to one of yours machines, and after all applications and drivers is added, you can move HDD to another machine, add drivers, to third machines, etc.
When finished, make an image. Is not the best thing but work for most machines.( being from same manufacturer most of drivers will be the same ).

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:25 am

Drivers added by nLite is cabed in drivers cab. You can try to add drivers using nLite , whithout any additional steps, and using xp cd kit with nlited drivers , Edit Winnt.sif to Sysprep.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 am

Drivers added by nLite are NOT ADDED TO DRIVERS.CAB!! They are comressed and put inna folder called "NLDRV"...

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:31 am

(Sorry for my mistake,I have confused by Merge cabs options, that's another thing)(adding drivers to driver,cab is a feature of HFSLIP/HFEXPERT)
And, in this situation, drivers are finded and installed using Sysprep as install option? I'm shure that using as unnatended install, drivers are finded.
Last edited by vmanda on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sayeds

Post by sayeds » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:08 am

Vmanda although what you have suggested seems feasible in theory, I have tried moving one disk between the different models and installing the drivers for each model on that single disk. For some reason this does not solve the problem. In fact it seems to cause more issues, I can only assume that the reason for this is that the the Hardware Abstraction Layers for each model's Motherboard is different.

Thanx for trying to help
Any other ideas are welcome, from anyone.
Last edited by sayeds on Mon May 05, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

DizzyDen

Post by DizzyDen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:56 am

Here is what I would try to accomplish what you are desiring....

Create a Windows install cd with all updates (using nlite to set unattended options, rvmi to install update pack of choice and any addons you want on all systems, driverpacks to install all driverpacks needed, using disc for platform, method 2 and keep the drivers for all slipstreamed drivers... I personally set the ktd path to %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers (this is where Windows sets drivers)

After that is done, install it on one of your computers, then install all software you want to include in your sysprep image.

Prior to making the image using sysprep, make sure to set all devices to use standard microsoft supplied drivers, e.g. IDE to standard ide, VIDEO to standard vga drivers etc.
You Can't Get, If You Won't Give
YCGIYWG

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:56 am

Changing HDD will working for family of chipsets ( eg. Via one/two disks, Intel another disk) (intel 845G have some reason, not working with standard intel infs).
But I think that most good is to work unnatended, adding drivers for yours machines with nLite ( removing drivers you don't need) , and making addons ( svcpack ) from your software, or using WPI.

Or you can make a hard job, instaling all family of yours machines one time, (same of yours machines still have to be verry similar, you need to check configurations ) and imaging onto an portable HDD, using any method, and when is needed, start computer with Windows Live CD, with portable HDD atached, and restoring from image. Like I saw is a hard job, but after that, you need 10-15 min to start live cd and to recover a machine.

Method that to be used depend on how much computers you have to install.
First will need some time for preparation of drivers and addons, but after that can be easy changed for new machines that can appear.

I work with ~ 500 machines, only ~ 20 are different models, zipped instaled partition ( zip need to be under 2GB - if larger I use snapshot , that split images )( at first install i make 2 or 3 partitions depend on how larger is hdd -one for OS, -one for user applications, personal files, etc and -one smaller to store a local image of backed C, drivers, etc)
Last edited by vmanda on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roirraW "edor"

Re: Disk Imaging, Sysprep and driver issue

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:22 am

sayeds wrote:[Unattended]
OemPnpDrivers="%systemdrive%\Driver_Path\audio";"%systemdrive%\Driver_Path\chipset"
I found this link http://www.msfn.org/board/OemPnPDrivers ... 15810.html in which jdeboeck tells someone that "$SYSTEMDRIVE$ gets prepended to it" and also "so go for "DRIVERS\NVIDIA" i know it works without the leading \, not sure if it works with it".

I would suggest trying to leave the "%systemdrive%" off each path you specified.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but just a suggestion.

Also, simo1234 says "also realized i'm suppose to rename folders to make sure chipset drivers get installed 1st", so maybe you should go ahead and do that also. You could number your folders like "1.chipset", "2.video", et cetera.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:36 pm

"XPCD\SUPPORT\TOOLS\DEPLOY\Deploy.chm" says:
"The master installation and the destination computers must have compatible hardware abstraction layers (HALs). " ,
"The mass-storage controllers (IDE or SCSI) must be identical between the reference and destination computers. ",
"Plug and Play devices such as modems, sound cards, network cards, video cards, and so on, do not have to be the same.",
"The size of the destination computer’s hard disk must be at least the same size as the hard disk of the master installation. If the destination computer has a larger hard disk, the difference is not included in the primary partition. "
- Sysprep and Disk Duplication Section

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:49 pm

If still want to use Sysprep take a look SysPrep Driver Scanner that promise "Please note that this program makes it so you don't need a OemPnPDriversPath line in your sysprep.inf file.
In fact, all that line does is copy that data into the registry when it's run"

sayeds

Post by sayeds » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:32 am

Thanx all for your responses.

I have tried the solution suggested by vmanda above "SysPrep Driver Scanner" and it works beautifully.
You guyz can feel really proud, you know why, I put up this post on Techrepublic.com(Microsoft tech site)
and didn't receive a single decent response.

RyanVM.net and its members ROCK!

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:12 am

Consider to put an "How to do it " post (after you finish working on method) for helping all peoples that want to use Sysprep.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:31 am

Glad you solved it.

sayeds

Post by sayeds » Tue May 06, 2008 4:28 pm

vmanda wrote:Consider to put an "How to do it " post (after you finish working on method) for helping all peoples that want to use Sysprep.
With regard to this I have already compiled a doc on how to sort out the driver issues with Sysprep and the SysprepDriverScan.

However this current version of the doc is aimed more at those who have worked with sysprep before and are experienced in basic windows unattended setups.

Since the procedure involved, although similar, is not just a basic windows unattended setup, we are talking about cloning Hard Disks and making the image compatible with different models of PC. I am going to try making a doc that explains the detailed use of sysprep particularly with regard to this procedure and the inclusion of the SysprepDriverScan to make the cloned images multi-PC compatible. By this I mean that one image gets used on multiple models of PC as long as they are made by the same manufacturer.

This is very useful information I will be providing, at least whoever gets to read my doc won't have to struggle the way I did. I do not think however, that I am going to include tutorials about ghost imaging and Zenworks Imaging, as these are readily available on the web, and also that I suspect that most who will even bother to read this doc are those who have used one of these two disk cloning tools.

Once the final doc is done, I am left with one problem, somewhere for the completed word or pdf doc to be hosted. Any kind soul out there willing to help? :lol: