Request with trimming XP

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
pen25jf

Request with trimming XP

Post by pen25jf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:50 am

Hello,

I saw a post on this board where someone got their XP down to 253 or something like that, and got me thinking... I don't care about the size, but I would love to trim all the bloat that comes with an OEM (or even standard).

I did this once but was unable to connect to the internet, I guess I killed too many svchosts that are running in the background.

I HATE anything remote, not router, etc., just cable modem, slap the wire in and go :wink:

Plus with all due respect to others who might be, I don't need accessiblity, which I figured I can kill. The main thing is the svchosts, which I know are all internet/remote related. Normally theres at least 4-5 eating my RAM.

Can anyone give me a good list of things that are safe to kill witht he above in mind (other then the obvious e.g. language, keyboards, old DOTNET)? Just gimme firefox and I'm good to go :D

Thanks alot, hope I'm not asking stuff that's been posted or stuff that's in nLite (which helps, but again, killed some things and I guess Windows didn't like it)

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 am

if you must remove stuff, start with nlite's safe preset and go on from there deciding if it all fits
if you are done adding stuff .. you should make a backup for the working stuff as with removals you cant know 100% what is going to be dis functional later ...

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:56 am

You need to be verry carefull to dependencies between services and applications, but you can securely remove many unused components.
Take a look at mine's Last Session.ini if you like to use nLite.
I use an Corporate XP SP2 with previously integrated SP3. ( to skip everytime integrating sp3 and spending time to do that ).
My final ISO is ~300 MB using High Compression=Enabled at Options Tab, and using about 10 addons that include Kel's runtimes, onepiece IE7, etc.
You can selectively load into nlite only Components tab, see what I have removed. and modify to meet your language, hardware and waitings.
I think is a good start point.

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Yeah, I normally just disable stuff in services "just in case" I ever needed them, but wanting to see if getting rid of apps I never used since WIndows 3.1 up until now would tidy things/speed thing up.

Like I said, I'm not worried about the size, just wanting to see if removing uneeded apps would make a big difference or not, which I would think if the majority of stuff I never use, but still is there eating up space, it would.

As ENU-user said, nLite's great for removing stuff, I knock out every keyboard/language, but was never in the mood to remopve stuff that could make me stare at a black screen with a new install :shock:

Thanks guys/gals, gonna first have a crack at slipping the Acrobat installs then see what I can trim down. Then I'd like to give a switchless-installer a shot, like FF3 with some add-ons. Much appreciated!!

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Is not only about size, windows services and processes that does not exist, does not consume memory, then some applications that is usualy copied
by installer into windows or windows\system32 folder and is never used, can be exploited by some adware/spyware, less files = less time to defrag = less time to scan for viruses.

Another point is that some of this apps have to be registred into registry, growing up registry.(that will be allready growed up by hundred of apps that does not need to use registry
but developers think that is cool to use it).