problem integrating..

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
bober101

problem integrating..

Post by bober101 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:06 pm

since the past month or so,ive ben having this strange problem where if i integrate ie7 on sp3 corp,any addon i add breaks the ie7 addon and ie dosent get installed at all.so if i integrate lets say red's post sp3 update pack and any ie7 true addon,it works,but if i add an addon wich contains an inf,it will break the ie7 addon.its very strange,i can reproduce this prob everytime.but if i integrate ie7 alone with an update pack,all is fine.and i have tested adding 1 by 1 different addons and its not as if i was adding a bad addon,i have the problem with wich ever addon i add after.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm

I am creating an XP install media now for my own computer. I've already done a few installs but I'm trying to track down a completely different problem I'm having, which I won't mention until I find the culprit.

In reference to your issue, the few test installs I've done already using the following addons, IE7 still worked fine for me:

With RVMI:
ENU_Addons_BVProSvcDescriptions_SP3.zip (v1.4a)

With nLite:
RED_XP_SP3_UpdatePack_062008-r03.7z
OnePiece_IE7_WinXPSP3_v2.2.0_AddOn_ENU.7z
DirectX_9.0c_End-User_Runtime_AddOn_0.4.0_-_redxii.7z
5er_KB893056_SP3_Addon.7z
RVMAddonsWGAN_1.7.18.7b.7z
ProgramAddons+Taskbar+Shuffle+2.5.cab
Ricks_CCleaner2.08.588_AS_AddOn.7z

and WMP11 Slipstreamer v1.2.5.0 separately, then DriverPacks v8.05 with all DriverPacks except for WLAN and Graphics B & C.

Maybe you should list the specific addons you're using, and also specify which addons are being integrated with RVMI and which with nLite, although I would assume RVMI since you didn't specify. I'm too lazy to look but I would think that at least one of the addons I'm integrating includes an inf.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:33 pm

yup i use the integrator,ill have to do a test run with nlite cause this is driving me insane, ive integrated in all the different orders i can think of with alot of different combinations and its always the same prob.i too use amung others;
RED_XP_SP3_UpdatePack_062008-r03.7z
OnePiece_IE7_WinXPSP3_v2.2.0_AddOn_ENU.7z
and all of zacams patches

but like i said,i cannot add any other addons cuz it will cause the ie7 addon to fail.its very strange,its as if im limited in the number of addons i can integrate witch dosent make any sense at all.so again,if i integrated the above addons,all is fine but if i add any other standard addon(that has an inf(addons that use only the entries.ini always work fine ie;zacam's pach addons)it will kill ie7,ive tested so many times i dont know what to do, ive even tryed it on an other pc, and same results,ive deleted the rvm working dir and re-dled the integrator and still same results.the only thing i can see is, i stoped using my mce source files and switched to xp pro corp.wich i was able to do 1 working build,then after when new hotfixes and addons were released, i started from scratch as always ,and it was a no go till there.liek i said,its ben about a month or so.n e ways ill go test with nlite...
XP theme source patcher

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:06 pm

update;i cant integrate crap anymore on sp3 ,i have no idea wats going on, ill try a good old sp2 build and try to integrate from there.
XP theme source patcher

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:29 pm

The short version of my rant below is that I successfully avoided all the XP install issues I was having by using nLite to only integrate the exact drivers I needed instead of using the latest DriverPacks.

Commence rant...

FYI I still didn't technically track down what caused all my XP install problems (different problems each and every time I tried an install disc that I created differently each time - and no, I didn't try any of them in VMWare :) ).

However, all my problems went away when I stopped using the latest DriverPacks and instead just integrated the exact drivers I needed in nLite. I became frustrated so much that I didn't have the patience to try to find out if it was a particular DriverPack that caused the problems, although I can also say that I also didn't have a problem when I only integrated the Mass Storage DriverPack with the text mode box checked.

I know this doesn't help others on here much but I'm working on several of my own computers plus a friend's at the same time and I just couldn't dedicate the time.

I hadn't had this much trouble creating an XP install disc in a very long time. I had tried only RVMI, only nLite, both together, different combinations and orderings of WMP11 Slipstreamer, et cetera, et cetera.

No matter what I still haven't had to use the WBEM patch - I had tried that at one point and it didn't make any difference for my particular issues. Of course, now that I think of it I think I read that the WMP11 Slipstreamer includes this now??? I don't remember.

In the end I used RVMI for the update pack and addons (with optimizations), then WMP11 Slipstreamer, and finally nLite for drivers, unattended and all of the rest of the nLite options and tweaks, plus building the ISO image and burning it to DVDRW.

Each and every time I was using the exact same DVDRW disc that I quick-erased each time. Most of the time I used my internal DVDRW drive although at least once I tried a much newer DVDRW drive with a USB adapter and I still had the same random issues.

I've used this DVDRW disc (with other customized XP installs) several times since then on other machines and haven't had any problems.
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:08 pm

I think I will release a beta of RVM Integrator 1.5.4. It fixes some (or all) of the SP3 issues. But there may be others. I think it would be best for me to release a Stable beta since I don't have the time I thought I would in finishing it in a timely manner. Actually I am thinking of releasing the final as v1.6 since it deserves a version number boost since it is actually fixing some important SP3 issues. I will try to put a beta online later today. I hope everyone helps to ensure that this release squashes any SP3 bugs there are. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:15 pm

@ roirraW "edor"
well now that the aio update pack is out(from onepiece)ill try a new build with it,and ive had probs with the latest mass storage pack, i have reported the error but kinda got blew off by the mods as if it was a problem that i only had, and evidently in the weeks after users started to post problems of their own.so i simply reverted back to the previous pack(mass 8.02.1) and all went well.( i have an nforce 590 chipset all my sata drives werent getting detected after the txt setup phase ,alltho i could choose the drive and they were all available b4 format,i guess it was a problem with the 'method 2' thing where they fake the setup in order to decompress all their drivers. )

edit: great sigi, alltho i would like to add that my probs arent limited to the integrator,n lite has proven to be faulty aswell.so yeah as you said its much more of an sp3 prob than an integrator problem.ill be glad to do some test runs on the new beta, also, alot of addon creators have included fix/workarounds for some sp3 issues,will these addons cause any problems when the new integrator will be finalize? as evidently most of these sp3 issues will be ironed out by the integrator.
XP theme source patcher

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks, Siginet. Will look forward to trying it.

@bober101: Yes, I intend on trying the Onepiece AIO Update Pack as well on my very next install which should be this week sometime.
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

bober101

Post by bober101 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:15 pm

ok so i tested the new aio, as always, everything is fine but if i add an addon it breaks the process,tryed 5 different addons and they all broke internet explorer 7.i have no idea if sp3 has limited the humber of entries the setup can parse or what ever but im calling it quits.
XP theme source patcher

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 am

When you say IE7 is broken, are you saying it doesn't work at all or some particular part of it doesn't work as it normally does?
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:13 am

ie7 is not working on the system,its as if its not installed at all(some would praise this lol)

edit: i think i finaly got it working with n lite..
n e ways for some reason nlite started working,i hadint tested it with the new aio but it worked fine,i can add any number of addons now.i have no idea what went wrong, but for over a month i couldint generate a good build.im well overdue for a format, once im finished ill re investigate the case with the integrator,as it is my tool of preference over nlite.

seems i cant integrate with n lite evrything in 1 shot,i need to break down my addons in groups and integrate them a coupel at a time...
XP theme source patcher

rsadix

Post by rsadix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:56 pm

I was also having similar problems with my SP3 builds, IE7 just not working at all. WMP 11 not working. Both had desktop icons but it was as if they were never installed plus services not running that were marked as automatic...

I was about to give up on SP3 and just go back to SP2 until I read this post from msdemich:
msdemich wrote:I've come to a routine that seems to work well.
  1. Create two folders from the root of your hard drive:
    _XP Tools
    _XP Builds

The underscore "_" puts the folder at the top of the list, making it easier to navigate to. Place your addons and driverpacks in separate subfolders within the _XP Tools folder. Copy a fresh, virgin, copy of your XP install files in a subfolder within _XP Builds, then make a full copy of it. Call the new copy SP3.
    Your folder structure should now look like this:
    _XP Tools
    -----Addons
    -----Driverpacks
    _XP Builds
    -----XPVanilla
    -----SP3
  2. Use RyanVM to slipstream SP3 to the SP3 folder *ONLY*. We are going to use a methodical approach and save our progress each step along the way for the troubleshooting that is sure to follow.
  3. Copy that SP3 folder and name the copy "SP3u". Use RVM to integrate the SP3 update pack (like redxii's update pack).
  4. Make a copy of "SP3u" and name that copy "SP3uMS". Use RVM to integrate IE7 (I prefer the MrNxDmX version) along with other MS packs like WGAN and DirectX.
  5. Make a copy of the folder "SP3uMS" and name is "SP3uMSAdd". Now use RVM to integrate the rest of your addons. (I have never been able to get nlite to integrate addons well, nlite is good for other things though).
  6. Once again, make a copy of "SP3uMSAdd" and name it "SP3uMSAddN". Use nlite to remove components and tweak. (note: If you add themes be SURE to enable the uxtheme patch feature in nlite)
    (note: if you are integrating textmode massstorage packs with the BTS driverpacks, then be sure to remove SCSI/RAID drivers from the components section of nlite, or risk BSOD on textmode setup)
  7. Once nlite is done integrating, do NOT finish and exit out yet. Instead, use the WMP11 slipstreamer on the folder, and finally the driverpacks.
  8. Make the ISO with nlite.
This may seem tedious, but believe me, it saves you much time over trying to figure out which particular step went wrong. I've been building these CDs for over two years and never once has everything worked perfectly the very first time. Save those folders and make new copies of them as necessary. If you have problems, then just go back a couple of folders, (like the "SP3u" or "SP3uMS" builds) and create an ISO from them to see if they work. From there you can isolate the problems.
I didn't think I was doing anything terribly different from this, but I figured I would give it one more shot. I strayed a little bit.
  1. Recreated an SP3 source by slipstreaming SP3 inta a SP2 source copied that directory to a new location for the next step
  2. added redxii's SP3 update pack using RVM 1.5.3 w/o optimization and copied that directory to a new location for the next step
  3. added microsoft based addons using RVM w/o optimization
    NR_IE7en_Addon_2.0.0.7z
    DirectX_for_Managed_Code_1.0.0_AddOn_-_redxii.7z
    and copied that directory to a new location for the next step
  4. added remaining addons with RVM w/o optimization
    PatchAddon_HIVESYS_v13c.cab
    PatchAddon_TCPIP_250_v14a.7z
    PatchAddon_UXTHEME_v14a.7z
    ProgramAddons Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 6.cab
    Reapers_IP_Configuration_Manager_2.7.2.80_CPL_AddOn.7z
  5. removed language and upgrade folders with the following addons using RVM w/ optimization
    Removal_LANG_DirDeleteAddon.cab
    Removal_WINNTUPG_DirDeleteAddon_v1.1.cab
  6. used nLite to remove a couple of minor things - non english keyboards..., integrated a particular SATA driver I needed, then as directed before hitting the *finish* button I ran boogy's wmp11 slipstreamer and then pressed *finish*
  7. made the ISO with nLite
And finally a working SP3 build with functional IE7 and wmp11 - THANK GODS

It was like having troubleshooting steps along the way and chewing up 5 extra gig in the process threatened SP3 enough to work.

I was less agressive with my addons just trying to get something to work. The previous installation that did not work and only using RVM 1.5.3 I also integrated the following to remove things from the source:
CXP_AddOnSuppress_CD_TABLETPC.cab
CXP_AddOnSuppress_moviemk.cab
CXP_AddOnSuppress_netmeeting.cab
CXP_AddOnSuppress_usmt.cab
KTT_MessengerService_DeleteAddon.CAB
KTT_ZipFolder_RemovalAddon_v1.2.CAB
modems_Addon Remove.rar
Removal_Accessibility_DeleteAddon_v1.4.CAB
Removal_AutomaticUpdates_DeleteAddon_v1.5.cab
Removal_LANG_DirDeleteAddon.cab
Removal_MSNExplorer_DeleteAddon_v1.7.cab
Removal_Srchasst_Deleteaddon_v1.2.CAB
Removal_SystemRestore_DeleteAddon_v1.6.cab
Removal_WindowsAgent_DeleteAddon_v1.1.cab
Removal_WindowsTour_DeleteAddon_v1.8.CAB
Removal_WINNTUPG_DirDeleteAddon_v1.1.cab
RVM_MU_DisablerAddon_v2.7z

If any of these is known to damage an installation that would be great to know

comments welcome and if anyone wants to point out what nLite does better than RVM and vice versa (especially in the arena of removing stuff - windows tour, tabletpc, languages...) or improving this process in general, that would be great.

Signet mentioned RVM 1.5.4 to fix additional SP3 problems; that's fine with me but for now this process is working for me.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you are always right.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:05 pm

im still in the process of testing but things are looking better,ill post my resulsts when im finished...migh take a while...

so i got everything working with nlite,i previously said that i ahd to integrate in groups,but it turns out that i had a bad addon.but the integrator is still giving me problems,ill have and continue my "quest" to find out what exactly the problem is,but for the time being im happy to say im at least able to build a working iso with one of the 2 tools.
XP theme source patcher