I kinda feel dirty...

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
RyanVM
Site Admin

I kinda feel dirty...

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:05 pm

My main computer is officially running Vista x64, and I'm actually kinda liking it. I recently upgraded and it was the only way to make full use of the new hardware (4GB of RAM and a DX10 video card), so yeah.

I will say that UAC is one of the most worthless things I've ever seen. Thank God it can be disabled. Otherwise, it's fast and I'm starting to get used to some of the new changes. I think transitioning to the new Start Menu was actually made easy thanks to Firefox 3.0 and the Awesomebar.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 pm

i'm still not used to vista, which is on my main laptop.

UAC is really annoying, but after disabling that, i'll receive the security center's popups. then after i disabling security center service, a new popup goes..... anyone knows a solution for this?

new start menu seems fine if there are a lot of programs, but for me i'm used to starting programs like this "Winkey -> P -> D -> R" = "start menu - programs - develop tools - reshacker". oops
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm still in the dark ages with SP SP2 on my machines. If I could get an 'instant-on' 64bit Linux and a VM that supports 32 bit MSFT OS on a 64 bit non-MSFT host, I'd be moving in that direction.

My laptop has 4-5 VMs right now to give me separate environments for dev/test/demo with dBs, Java, Apache, etc, etc. I pretty much only use the host OS for email and web surfing.

Hey, is RvM 2.2.3 in the works yet? (sorry, couldn't resist).

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Yeah, 2.2.3 is still in the works. That's actually what's holding up the release of the SP3 pack (I want to release both simultaneously).

@yumeyao - you can disable the security center notifications. Open it up and click the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" link on the left side.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:22 pm

It's Kubuntu for me - 32 bit though. There's still too many goofy things with x64 even under Linux. A little Wine and quite a bit of VMware gets me through. I can safely say that XP SP3 will be my farewell dance to Microsoft on the desktop. I'll be supporting XP on the desktop at work for the next six years. When I retire the new guy can figure out what to do.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:53 pm

I don't feel dirty, I made the switch and I gotta say all the crap that was said about Vista being buggy and stuff was all hater talk :P

If I get another PC I will put XP on the old one but for now XP is doomed to run in VM only on my PC, cuz I don't really have the HDD real estate to dual boot

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:21 am

@ryan: thank you.
@rick: i know you won't put xp on your old PC, you will install xista. lol
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 am

ricktendo64 wrote:I don't feel dirty, I made the switch and I gotta say all the crap that was said about Vista being buggy and stuff was all hater talk :P

If I get another PC I will put XP on the old one but for now XP is doomed to run in VM only on my PC, cuz I don't really have the HDD real estate to dual boot
Although I do not have Vista, I would like to interject a comment here. Yes Vista *can* be buggy, but that tends to be on the older hardware that does not have adequate support for Vista. Any new computers with Vista, typically have done enough to ensure Vista runs without problems on their hardware. Just my thoughts.

It has been said that every new operating system helps the computer industry out, since most people will have to upgrade their old computers. Just food for thought.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:52 am

Beta testing Vista x64 gave me mixed feelings. I didn't like what they did to the integrated search and many of the changes to the UI felt counter-intuitive. 64-bit drivers were also a major issue two years ago. Most of my young daughter's admittedly old edutainment software would not install. It's not fair for me to mention the bugs because I was helping to find and squash them.

Hopefully SP1 fixed many of the issues initially missed; not that I would know. I may give it another try when I make my next large hardware purchase. Right now, having only DX9 video cards and a deep-seated hatred of DRM, it's just not worth it for me.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:04 am

I'm running Vista x64 and there's a few things I still have issues with. Drivers mostly. It took me 6 mos just to get my smartcard reader working (and that required a firmware flash). My Realtek ethernet ports keep dropping my network connection which requires a reboot to fix (not the router since wireless is working flawlessly).

Vendors just aren't picking up on x64 support quickly enough to spur adoption. Think about it, almost every modern system sold today is x64 capable but people keep buying (and vendors keep pushing) x32 Vista.
:rolleyes:
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

motokiume

Post by motokiume » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 am

I built a media PC with a Hauppage twin digital tuner in it just over a year ago. I tried Windows XP Media Center Edition and found it didn't work well for me. I then tried Vista x64 Ultimate (Vista + drivers installed only, no added software) and I have to say that as a Media PC it is excellent.

As for my Desktop PC, well I have tried Vista and even though it works well and has no problems, I just feel more comfortable with XP.

So it's Vista for Media PC's and XP+RyanVM for Desktop PC's for me at the moment.

techtype

Post by techtype » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:52 am

I'm with you Ryan, Vista 64 all the way! I can't imagine a more stable operating system. It's been flawless on two machines for 6 months.

Pistolero

Post by Pistolero » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:24 pm

So... given that our beloved XP is getting way too long in the tooth, and that the Powers-That-Be here seem to be shedding their misconceptions about Vista... are there any plans to begin making update packs and addons for Vista? Maybe make the Integrator able to work with Vista bits as well?

electrogen

Post by electrogen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Yeah i agree Vista is the dogs Bollocks :!:

I didn't like it before SP1, too slow for what i needed it to do.
But with SP1 it's alot quicker especially with ReadyBoost.

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:08 pm

ill be using 64-bit XP until windows 7 is released, and thats assuming it doesnt carry vista's problems with it - driver incompatibility i can handle; its all the other crap in vista that put me off.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm

Define other crap?

Having been running Vista Ultimate SP1 on my main machine for a week now, I can now say there really is no point complaining about vista any more.

Yes, it was initially annoying to figure out it's quirks, figure out how to customize it to what I want and now that it is done: solid.

Halo2 even looks better and I have not noticed a decrease in any game I run that cannot be attributed to putting the settings higher than I did under XP because the lack of DX 10 made it impossible to enable them.

However, I am not now or ever ditching XP. SP3 is running on my secondary 939 box just as well as Vista is running on my primary box, so now I have more development capability.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:34 pm

Zacam wrote:Define other crap?
A little thing they call the software protection platform. Not to mention more DRM than I care to think about.

Change just for the sake of change is pointless. I'm sure that Microsoft shareholders don't mind a little senseless upgrading, but I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.

The most obvious and most publicized changes to Vista (whether from Microsoft or the media) are not positives IMO. In fact the only redeeming value that I can think of immediately is the rewritten TCP/IP stack. Not a very sexy topic, I will concede, and not the most publicized one either. If Microsoft could have shoehorned that one feature into XP, and yes they "could", then Vista would truly be a big zero.

DirectX 10? Please. I gave up on gaming on a PC a while ago. I have very little time for gaming to begin with so I certainly don't feel like having to patch the OS, find the latest drivers for my video card - Oops! those drivers give me a BSOD, find the latest patch for the game, find that the copy protection borks the game so now I have to go and find a crack ...cough cough... I mean "No CD Patch" just to play the friggin game. Ok, now it's like 1am. Time for bed. Maybe I can try the game over the weekend. Or I could just fire up my PS3 :P

mercyground

Post by mercyground » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:53 am

Just for giggles i stuffed Vista on my machine. Then spent 30mins applying SP1. Nuked UAC. Nuked stupid vista search (read as rape your HDD till it bleeds). Played around. You know maybe this isnt that bad. Then moved the SP1 patch file to my filebase.... and waited. And waited. And went and got a coffee...

... you see where this is going dont you.
For the love of all that is holy... WHY are you screwing around with a SIMPLE filecopy MS? Checking for illegal Mp3s? Translating it to an NTFS request cos u didnt remove all the Database filesystem stuff?

The mind boggles. It really does. Worst of all its random. Some files copy fine. Others... lets just say i could go to columbia. Grow my own damn beans. Roast them. Come Back. Brew. And still be waiting.

Drivers are better.
UAC is still crap.
SP1 helps but its still not the answer.

Vista R2 (aka Windows 7) had better work out of the box or its really just laughable.

Ps. This was on a AMD 2.5ghz Barton with 1.5gb of Ram, 9600XT GFX and mixed IDE and SATA drives. I got almost the same Vista experience as my other half's C2D with 8600M graphics Lappy. I R Chuffed :P But still not impressed. Shiny does not = Good.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Try using a source that is already SP1.

Then complain.