google chrome

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
ccl0

google chrome

Post by ccl0 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

anyone try it out yet?
i wonder if it will eat into firefoxe's marketshare
http://www.google.com/chrome

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Looks interesting
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 pm

i will hold to the current browser i use - sleipnir, before i can find one that meets all my habits.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

Pasha_ZZZ

Re: google chrome

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:08 am

ccl0 wrote:anyone try it out yet?
i wonder if it will eat into firefoxe's marketshare
http://www.google.com/chrome
WebKit engine... Like Safari... Must be very fast.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:12 am

On the downside, for some reason, it's quite fond of thrashing the CPU and HDD. It uses a lot more memory than Firefox (that's the price to pay for the process segregation). And I can't live without some of my favorite extensions. On the upside, it's fast, and you can now see what's eating all your RAM and CPU. Not bad for a 0.2, but I'll stick w/ Fx.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:47 am

i think feature is most valuable.. beta as it is, no extensions support, and very few features, that is the main point.

and most google's products have a common phenomena at very first: poor customization.
sure it offers many useful functions that may really help some people, but it can be harmful for others. google never support a option for this. however, chrome's settings really satisfy me in a large scale, the features it now has are all quite good.
in other words, if there is any feature i don't need, as it's google's product, i'll be forced to use this feature and cannot set it cancelled.

google has released a Simplified Chinese IME(Input-method editor), google pinyin. it's the best example of what i have said - poor customization in very early versions.
it was the progie which offers many features or settings that don't meet me, but bother me, interupt me. tho some get fixed now, some are not in "normal" ways.

ie. symbols customization: google pinyin will transmit both to "/" and "\" to chinese symbol "、"(this is used to replace "," which is used as "and"). they are supported by different other IMEs(you can set which you want to use for most other IMEs), so google wants to satisfy two peoples, determinates to transmit both.
then it causes problems: we use "/" most, like http://, w/, a or b -> a/b, 09/03/2008, Forum code -> [/xxxx].

so google provides a solution: customize phrase.
you write "/" twice in both "string to be converted from" and "string to be converted to", then u input "/" it's "/".
but customize phrase generally should be used like: you input nv then get nvidia, you input mskb then get microsoft knowledeg base.....

well chrome by so far hasn't got any forced feature that i don't like, but there are still a lot of my favorite features missing, so i won't use it as my perference sofar.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:48 am

Very happy with FF atm.

Cheers
MC
The Man from Aus