Upgrading to a Virtual Private Server

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Upgrading to a Virtual Private Server

Post by RyanVM » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:36 am

I just received an offer to upgrade my site to both a web server and MySQL server running on a Virtual Private Server. What does that mean for me? No sharing resources with any other punks. The deal is quite substantial, so I would love to lock in this deal for as long as possible.

While I'm not one who normally outright asks for donations, I was wondering if there was anybody here who might be interested in sponsoring such a move? I'd like to sign up for as long as I can up front. This could allow for seriously better performance of this site all around.

If you're interested in contributing for a better server, you can follow the donate links on my site.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by RyanVM on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Update: 2 donations received so far. Thanks to both of you!

DJB

Post by DJB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:29 pm

Make that another donation :)

I don't have much money at the moment but I threw you a couple of bucks for all the hard work you've done over the years.

I've been using your update packs for years now and really appreciate all the time and work you put into it, so donating a few bucks towards your new server is a nice way of showing my thanks :)

Keep up the excellent work buddy!! :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Thank you!

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:36 pm

i'm curious if the look of the site would change b/c of this? or would it still look basically how it does now

oh and it might be useful to have a direct link to where/how to donate in your post. i've no clue where to even look for it :P

bledd

Post by bledd » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:17 am

been a while since i posted, but just donated 10 bucks, can't afford more at the moment

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:38 am

@ccl0 - There's Paypal donate links at the bottom of all the pages on the site not including the forums. As far as what would change, the main thing would be performance. A VPS means dedicated memory for the site as well as more hosting features at my disposal. However, I have been putting off the upgrade to phpBB3, so maybe that would be something worth doing as a token of my appreciation :)
@bledd - Thanks!

Thank you all for the huge response! You guys rock!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:02 pm

I currently use phpbb3 on a personal site of my own. It actually works quite well and is very functional for me. I do not think you will be at a loss if you should decide to update.

As for donating, I will have to wait until a payday to come around, but I will see what I can do about sending a small payment your way. Thanks for all the help you give Ryan.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm

I'll be donating once my next payday comes around as well. By the way, I'm currently a linux admin at the largest shared hosting company, but looking to branch out to doing things outside of work, so if you need a dedicated admin (I'll do the phpbb3 upgrade if you want), let me know.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm

ohhhhhhh that explains it. i have my bookmark set to go directly to the forums.. lol i guess thats why i never noticed it before :P

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:47 pm

I start my new job on Monday, and will be payed in about 3 weeks time, so I will help you then Ryan. Hope this is good enough for you?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 pm

I've been overwhelmed by the generosity shown by many of you. You guys rock!

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:42 pm

I too will make a donation... I need to get paid from a couple of clients so I need a week or two but your work is invaluable to me and I don't want to feel like a leach THANKS

Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 pm

I will send some your way tommorow ryan.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Well, the VPS for the website got turned on today, so I'm starting to get an idea of just how much memory it'll require. It's about twice as high as I would have thought. Goodie! :-P

Bog O

Thank you so much.

Post by Bog O » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:23 am

Ryan,

I'm so glad that you're able to improve an already great website. I am sorry that I haven't donated before. Please continue all your hard work, and know that it is appreciated by many.

Detractors may try and get you down, but remember that for every one of them, there are many who love your work, but just haven't told you yet.

Thank you for everything.

Kakaru

Post by Kakaru » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 am

Something from me as well.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:04 pm

As an FYI, we've been running on the VPS for both the website and MySQL databases for a bit over a week now. Have you guys noticed any better performance? IMO, things seem to run a bit snappier than they used to.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:14 pm

yeah, before this it often occured to me that when i was visiting this forum, the page was blank. after refreshing, i'm required to log in again. then "Search" - "Posts Since Last visit" was zero...
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:36 pm

I seem to be getting more database errors since the change, apparently at random. Several of them happened within the last half hour. :?

EDIT: ...and the forum clock has also been running five minutes fast by my clock since the change.
Last edited by 5eraph on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:57 pm

I second that. At a random time, I will get database errors for about a minute or two. Then suddenly as it happened ... it clears up.
--Anonymous

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 pm

5eraph wrote:I seem to be getting more database errors since the change, apparently at random. Several of them happened within the last half hour. :?

EDIT: ...and the forum clock has also been running five minutes fast by my clock since the change.
error 500 +1
5 minutes faster +1

code65536

Post by code65536 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:30 am

I've been getting intermittent errors--not database errors per se, just a generic HTTP/500--goes away immediately with a refresh.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

Speeddymon

Post by Speeddymon » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:37 am

Ryan

The 500 errors are probably due to process limit in apache, check in the apache config (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf or /etc/httpd/conf/includes/*) for RLimitNProc

If you see that line, just delete it. Since you are on a VPS you don't need it.

DB Errors can be several things, if some of you can paste exactly what the DB error says, I'll be happy to provide some insight into what it is that is causing it, though without direct access to the files (im not his admin or anything but I do work for a hosting company) I can't say for 100% certainty.

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:52 am

Speeddymon
This is the error message I receive:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ryanvm.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:11 pm

compstuff, an the HTTP status code for "Internal Server Error" is 500, so when someone speaks of a 500 error, that's what they are referring to.

As for db errors, I've never seen one. It's possible for a db error to result in a 500 error, but in most cases, the two are not the same. I suspect that whoever said db error really meant to say 500 error.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:08 pm

It would give line numbers where errors occurred and give a "darkstar/ryanvm" domain, code65536. I'll copy the information next time it happens.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Ah, okay. I guess I'm lucky to have never bumped into that one. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:33 pm

I finally saw the 500 errors myself. I've filed a support ticket with Dreamhost. We'll see how it goes.

OuTman

Post by OuTman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:22 pm

if you upgrade to phpBB 3, would you sweep authors view to the left and messages view to the right (ie the classic layout)?

pleaaasseee :lol: I do hate that default reversed order of phpBB 3!! counter-efficient as hell...

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:57 pm

This morning about 7am CST, I received the following problem:
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/.darkstar/ryanvm/ryanvm.net/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.darkstar/ryanvm/ryanvm.net/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.darkstar/ryanvm/ryanvm.net/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
Maybe this will help diagnose the problem a bit?
--Anonymous

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:01 pm

I got an answer from them as to what's going on. Apparently they scale CPU limits along with memory usage, so to deal with this, I'll need to up my resource allocation I'm paying for. Not the end of the world, just would have been nice to know that more than memory is affected by playing with the memory maximums :rolleyes:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 pm

I've upped my resource allocation by about 35%, so we'll see if that helps.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Well, I guess no news is good news...

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:33 am

It it helps any, I have not had any recent problems with the site. It appears to be working quite like a well oiled machine. (and that is a good thing) :lol:
--Anonymous

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:09 am

Since I last reported I haven't had any problems until just now:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@ryanvm.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

MaxL

Another donation to the cause

Post by MaxL » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Ryan,

I've gotten a lot out of your site and your work and am happy to give back a bit. I've not noticed any server issues in the past month but I'm not as frequent a visitor as some.

Keep up the good work.

Max L.

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm

I just had the same server error that Compstuff reported.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:48 am

www.nuetools.co.uk wrote:nuetools

StripFile aims to reduce the size of your web site files (GIF, JPEG, PNG and HTML) by cutting out the extra data they often contain. Your JPEG file might contain a comment, for example. Or a colour profile. Or the name of the program that produced it. None of this is of any use at all to someone viewing the image over the web-- it just increases the file size, and makes it slower to load.

The amount of compression you can achieve varies greatly. GIF files will yield 8 bytes if you're lucky, unless they have comments; JPEG gains vary from 18 bytes to 20KB or even more; PNG files typically yield 70 to 112 bytes; complex HTML pages can shrink by as much as 40%. And remember, StripFile aims to remove only unnecessary data held in the file; visually they should all look exactly like the originals.

This is good news, but you need to use StripFile with care. Although "stripped" files are usually fine to be viewed with a browser, you may have problems editing them in a graphics or HTML editor. That's why StripFile makes a backup of every file it creates -- don't delete that unless you're positive you don't need it.
linking ...

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:50 am

Doing some late night research and I got about 5 of the same errors I referenced above and the site was not accessible for a few minutes

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:24 am

Interesting. While there have been a couple spikes over my guaranteed resource usage, the last one appears to have been on the 3rd.

Vintowin

Post by Vintowin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 am

Ryan, I have been using your update packs for a while now and you have saved so much time and effort for me, I had to join and express my thanks.
I will be donating to you to keep up the great work.

thanks again for all your hard work

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:54 pm

Ryan... I am hopeing I'm not a pain in the butt with this but I just got another:

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:23 am

FYI: Just got 3 in a row... do you still want me to post this info when it happens?

Internal Server Error

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Can you give me exact times (including your timezone) when they're happening? I've contacted my host about it and they said they'll help go through the logs if they know when they should be looking.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Yes, it springs up recent days.
my timezone: +8

earlier days, the errors poped, yeah, but after several seconds when i refreshed the page, i could access to the forum once again.
these days, it happened to take even longer time to re-work. sometimes i need to keep refreshing for one minute beyond!

the time it frequently appears is likely afternoon through the night here.

compstuff

Post by compstuff » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Ryan... I have been posting the reports within minutes of the errors so the last one should be:

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:23 am EST

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Dec 22, 2008, Mon 12:19 pm. GMT+8
and BTW your server's time is several minutes faster.
edited: it's time seems ok now.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:40 pm

Dec, 23rd, 3:32 am, GMT+8 - forum index opened.
then any further access returned an Internal Server Error.
it lasted for about one minute.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:28 am

Dec 23rd, 19:24 pm, GMT+8.
lasted for 30 secends around.

Dec 23rd, 19:26 pm, GMT+8
error occured only in one request.