[Solved] Cab file creation

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
cynric

[Solved] Cab file creation

Post by cynric » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:57 am

First off, the contributors here (RyanVM, Siginet, Kel, Rick, ENU, code65536, Mrs Peel, etc, etc, etc) should be showered with praise daily. I wish these tools, methods, and packs existed five years ago although that would have prevented me from learning linux ...

Anyway, on to the question. I'm attempting to follow some of the addon tutorials -- specifically, Mrs Peels Font Pack. I made the silent installer just fine using code65536's FontReg. However, I'm stuck on the making the final cab.

Here's what I've learned so far:
  • * Makecab doesn't work on directories.
    * Cabtool link no longer works jumping off the msfn link.
    * Mrs Peels's Cabtool SDK pack is unavailable currently (hope she's making progress on her situtation).
    * RyanVM's Addon Pack and Kel's Uber Pack aren't posted as standalone installers.
Since Compression Bin is the only option left, I installed it. However, it doesn't work. After executing, no Send-To menu is created and the opened window just sits and "idle" refusing to compress anything. So, what's the best route from here? Track down the issue with CB or find a link to CT since most people appear to be using it?

The current OS is a Windows XP SP2 nLite work-in-progress. It could be that I've slimmed it down too much; although, it appears I have all the necessary files (makecab, expand, cabinet.dll, and catsrvut.dll). Any help would be appreciated and thanks again for all the effort put into this site.

EDIT:
Right-click -> install on inf files to ... install. Kels' UberPack is finally showing some love.
Last edited by cynric on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:32 pm

You don't need to make a cab for a switchless installer. Back in the old days, you had to, but not any more. The latest versions of both the Integrator and nLite can integrate a switchless installer "raw" without first encasing it in a cab.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

cynric

Post by cynric » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Alright, I did not know both Integrator and nLite would accept a switchless installer. That just makes things easier. Much appreciated.

cynric

Post by cynric » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:32 pm

These were quite helpful; albeit slightly after the fact. [Video] How To make Silent Switch Installers, EXE and MSI examples. Thanks ricktendo64.

I assume it's video 3 (introduces svcpack) that takes the place of the old cab phase for making addons.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:04 pm

correction:
nlite integrates hotfixes only
with integrator you can integrated the uncabed switchless installers

http://siginetsoftware.com/forum/showth ... page=10#97

;)

cynric

Post by cynric » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:26 pm

Ok, I didn't think nLite did non-cabs, but all-in-all I'm fairly new. So, that puts me back in same situation as the original post -- finding a recommended cab utility that I can install. Not in a position where I can re-install at the moment.

Undoing the [solved] tag.

EDIT:
But, using the RunOnceEx method will get the installed if I understand correctly for nLite. Which, for applications this seems like a valid solution. For updates/replacing files though, one would still want to go the cab route as they are slipstreamed. Lot to digest -- basic process, techniques, and terminology.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:52 pm

cynric , please try Kel's uber pack thats the only real path you will need
unpack it. install the uber.inf choosing right click install ..

after the installation is done you will find many helpful tools (everywhere) on your context menu, sendto menu, Utilities programs from start menu .etc (just name it ..) the cab tool (for instance) will will be available on your SendTo menu

cynric

Post by cynric » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:03 pm

*embarrassed* I feel like I missed a FAQ somewhere. Had no idea there was a context menu install for inf files. Many thanks ENU-user ... I feel like an idiot, but gained +1 INT.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Completely understandable and natural. Kel's uber pack is one of my more favorite addons. All I need to do now is figure out how to make it compatible with XP x64. And then I will be in some kind of 7th heaven.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

cynric

Post by cynric » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:59 pm

Aye. It's going to take some time to learn all the stuff included. I'm looking forward to packing some of them into a new install, but going to have to hold off and digest this onslaught of new information. Just when I was finalizing my nLite config and getting familiar with batch files again ... I ran over here simply looking for RyanVM's update pack. A whole new level of bliss coupled with no more pounding my head guessing at silent install options for exe files or trying to grep the CD-ROM drive letter with a .bat.
"This Snow Crash thing -- is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?" "What's the difference?"
-- Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash