How to select "Print View" in this forrum

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
gdv

How to select "Print View" in this forrum

Post by gdv » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 am

Hi,

New to this forum, and can't find a way to show a "Print View" or "Lo-Fi" version of a thread.

I've run into this many times on many forums, and always assumed it was a limitation of phpBB, but then I noticed on some phpBB forums (e.g., VideoLan) there are "Print view" and "Change font size" icons near the upper right corner of thread pages.

Is this a setting I can control? Am I overlooking something?

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:56 pm

well you can change the board style in your profile preferences.. but i'm not sure if that is what you are looking for

gdv

Post by gdv » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:21 pm

ccl0 wrote:well you can change the board style in your profile preferences.. but i'm not sure if that is what you are looking for
Thanks, I tried that, and definitely prefer one style over the other two, but none of the 3 styles offered seem to provide a "Print view" option. :(

This seems like an option that would be always be available on any forum, as I (and I'm sure many others) frequently want to print a thread (or more often, want to save a copy on my HDD) formatted without all the unnecessary (HDD space hogging) style/avatar/icon/signature clutter. The "Print view" usually has nice minimalist HTML formatting that looks better when viewed or printed later than the HTML when saved from the regular (non-print) thread view. Plus, you can often get several or all the pages of a thread in one HTML page with "Print view," while the regular (non-print) view might have several pages that must be saved to get the whole thread.

I can't believe this preference of mine is so unusual that the option wouldn't automatically be provide on every forum, so 'm still wondering if I'm overlooking somthing that would allow a "Print view."

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:42 am

oohh you mean something like they have at wincert?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm

It seems there is no option like that here.

gdv

Post by gdv » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:19 am

ccl0 wrote:oohh you mean something like they have at wincert?
Sorry to be so long getting back, but computer has been down. :(

But yes, ccl0, that's exactly what I mean! :) And on that wincert forum (and others with that kind of menu), if you click on the "Download this topic" option, you'll get the same thing as the "Print this topic" option (an HTML page with most of the avatars, signatures, and other superfluous graphics removed --- some keep the Smilies and inserted images that are actually part of the thread, but many remove those as well).

However, if you look closely at that wincert forum you might notice another option that I don't see as often as the Print View option: at the bottom of any wincert thread page, there is a hyperlink for a "LoFi Version," which essentially accomplishes the same thing as a Print View (in fact, I've never noticed both options on the same forum before, and don't know why they would have both). (Sorry, but I don't have a way to uplink an image, so if you want to see what I mean, check any wincert thread.)

But notice that wincert isn't a phpBB forum, and where the Print Version (or Lo-Fi Version) option is most often missing is on many/most phpBB forums. And the phpBB forums that do have the option provide it with a rather pale "Print view" icon near the upper right corner that is easy to overlook, like the one I mentioned at VideoLan. (again, no way to uplink an image, but check any videolan forum thread for an example)

Probably the most common Print View option I see is very similar to that at wincert, but has an option in the bar at the top of the thread (where "View previous topic :: View next topic" is on this forum) that says "Thread Tools." When you click on it you get a shorter menu than the one at wincert but usually includes "Show Printable Version" and "Email this Page" (again, no image, but see any thread at VideoLan for an example)

So far, I have to agree with MrNxDmX
MrNxDmX wrote:It seems there is no option like that here.
...but I'd still like to find the option if anyone can point me to it!!! :)

Thanks!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:42 pm

If you do not see that option, then this forum does not have it. Since I run a phpbb forum myself, print options like that are typically addins that one must *add* to the original install. And then, some of those addins only work with specific revision numbers. So it may be one of those things "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

You might be able to turn off images in your browser though, at least that could save you some ink.

Edit: Or you might be able to use a firefox addon that would remove all web page styles at the push of a button. (But then you would have to use firefox also.)
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

gdv

Post by gdv » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:16 am

crashfly wrote:If you do not see that option, then this forum does not have it. Since I run a phpbb forum myself, print options like that are typically addins that one must *add* to the original install. And then, some of those addins only work with specific revision numbers. So it may be one of those things "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."
THANKS! :D Good to hear from someone who knows about phpBB! I suspected it was an option that was probably controlled on the admin side, and maybe depended on the version being used. I had actually gone to the phpBB site to see if I could find out anything there, but didn't have any luck. I was figuring my next step would be to join and post on their forum to see what I could find out, but with the info from you I'll probably just let it go.
crashfly wrote:You might be able to turn off images in your browser though, at least that could save you some ink.

Edit: Or you might be able to use a firefox addon that would remove all web page styles at the push of a button. (But then you would have to use firefox also.)
Yeah, for me, it's not really about ink as much as KB/MB on my HDD and visual space on the monitor. I rarely print anything out, but I save TONS of stuff on my HDD. And unless there are images I really want, I'll just save the HTML, because I'm saving it for the verbal content. But when I re-open a saved webpage that is just the HTML, the forums that provide a Print View format so much more nicely and are so much more readable than the HTML of a webpage that was intended to be viewed with all the graphical components and layout that we see in the regular view.

I do also use Firefox (but lately I've been using Opera and K-Meleon more---each has its advantages), so you've got me curious about the Firefox add-on and I'll probably try to track it down and check it out.

Thanks again! :)